The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
pro tools midi
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

pro tools midi

I got pro tools 9 and i usually make instrumentals in cubase, however, instead of shelling out 500 for cubase 5, id rathet take the opportunity to learn pro tools fully.

1. how do i but record so that it clicks a couple of times and then records my midi action?
2.i use to make small sections and just looping them. Wehn i record a midi perfromance, i get a block in which exceeds the range of the midi data, how can i shorten it exactly in the piano roll window so that when it plays it loops PERFECTLY?
3. Quantize is really confusing me here. It is not like cubase in which does everything for you. I am presented with tons of options, and when i click quanize, it doesn't put it in time, it just streches notes a little and that's it.

Thanks for your time guys i know i should RTFM but time does not permit that! thanks guys for your time !
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNext40 View Post
I usually make instrumentals in cubase, however, instead of shelling out 500 for cubase 5, id rather take the opportunity to learn pro tools fully.
No answer to your PT questions (sorry) but a question...

What version of Cubase do you have now that requires $500 to update to Cubase 5? I mean, that's the full list price?
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
No answer to your PT questions (sorry) but a question...

What version of Cubase do you have now that requires $500 to update to Cubase 5? I mean, that's the full list price?
i have cubase ai 4 or something like that, only allows 2 vsts to be open
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
i have cubase ai 4 or something like that, only allows 2 vsts to be open
That sucks...

Yeah, Cubase's midi is pretty good even in their bottom of the barrel LE apps so people that use midi in PT will have to speak to that. I hear it's much better though I haven't used it.

Sorry for the short thread derail...
Old 27th December 2010
Quote:
I got pro tools 9 and i usually make instrumentals in cubase, however, instead of shelling out 500 for cubase 5, id rathet take the opportunity to learn pro tools fully.

1. how do i but record so that it clicks a couple of times and then records my midi action?
2.i use to make small sections and just looping them. Wehn i record a midi perfromance, i get a block in which exceeds the range of the midi data, how can i shorten it exactly in the piano roll window so that when it plays it loops PERFECTLY?
3. Quantize is really confusing me here. It is not like cubase in which does everything for you. I am presented with tons of options, and when i click quanize, it doesn't put it in time, it just streches notes a little and that's it.

Thanks for your time guys i know i should RTFM but time does not permit that! thanks guys for your time !

It takes way less time to search for these things in the manual than it does to post here and wait.

I'm still on version 8 but ...

1. Make sure your MIDI tools are showing on top of the edit window, and click the "Count In" button. I'm not in front of it right now but I think that's what it's called.

2. Use the Trim tool.

3. If it's just stretching the note, then it sounds like you have "duration" checked and not "start time".
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search