The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is distortion what im looking for?
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

Im currently not at the studio right now. With some money I earned before christmas I purchased some small $100 M-Audio Monitors(which are sounding really good I might add) as my first edition to my first very own home recording setup. Im noticing though with alot of mixes I have hear at the house Ill turn my monitors like more then 3/4 the way up....and the vocals sound somewhat better....alot more buried in the mix...the overall mix sounds alot more proffesional but obviously rumble,distortion ect....as far as the beat/music
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

so is there some other plugin i should be thinking about....that might give me similar effect without harming the overall music....maybe a distortion plugin?
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Are you asking if you should use disortion on your vocal? The best thing I could say to do is listen to other music on your monitors. Beat you down directed you to the right direction because your room might be the cause of how freq. act in your room.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

As far as volume levels, I've read you shouldn't mix using high volumes. Just moderate volumes.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LirvA View Post
As far as volume levels, I've read you shouldn't mix using high volumes. Just moderate volumes.
Hello LirvA, welcome to Gearslutz.

You are correct - mixing at high volumes has several issues -

1) quick ear fatigue
2) unrealistic sense of balance and impact
3) mid and low quality speakers will compress transients when pushed to hard - creating an unrealistic sense of the micro-dynamics in the mix.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
You should mix at MANY levels, because the EQ curve of our ear changes depending on volume.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Ah, I see. thx

What are these transients you speak of?

thx for the welcome

Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LirvA
Ah, I see. thx

What are these transients you speak of?

thx for the welcome

Snares, claps and kick drums to name a few. Fast attack, fast decay.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Oh I see. Like ... staccato

thx
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
3) mid and low quality speakers will compress transients when pushed to hard - creating an unrealistic sense of the micro-dynamics in the mix.

I assume it would do this for both analog and digital recordings, correct?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I assume it would do this for both analog and digital recordings, correct?
All recordings have analog stages. Unless you are referring to magnetic tape vs. digital.

Cone compression applies to any speaker - from monitors to guitar cabs - regardless of source sound. The physics is that as the cone pushes in or pulls back there is an increase in tension which yields an increase in resistance. Effectively, this results in less push as amplitude increases. At moderate levels, cone compression is barely an issue - but at loud levels, particularly low frequency sounds - cone compression becomes a significant consideration.

A "transient" is a fast sound, most instruments when played staccato will produce transients - and have some sort of tonal decay/release.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Yes tape vs. digital is what I meant.

thx

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search