The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing for beginners Dynamics Plugins
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

Mixing for beginners

Hi,
I've been recording music for a few years now and I've had my songs professionally mixed previously. I can no longer afford to go this route - and I own DIGI 002, so I figure I may as well start learning now, to try and get the best mixes for my songs - possible.

I wondered if anybody could refer me to some good, layman friendly articles regarding mixing, adding eq, making a mix shine etc, especially with limited gear.

My music is a mixture of hard, synthetic, guitar based R&B, similar to Hud Mohawke and Rustie. Bright, polished & loud.

Cheers guys.

P.S
If I was to eventually go with a Waves bundle, which one do you think would be more suitable for my kind of music?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Go to youtube, theres a ton of mixing tutorials broken down in simple terms....after that do a search in the GS forum for stuff,
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan123 View Post
If I was to eventually go with a Waves bundle, which one do you think would be more suitable for my kind of music?
First, what DAW are you going to be mixing with? Pro Tools 9? Modern DAW packages have some great effects to start with.

If I was going to get my first Waves plug-ins I would get the Musicians 2 Bundle that has:

Renaissance Equalizer
Renaissance Axx
Renaissance Vox
Renaissance Compressor
Doubler
SuperTap

I think these are some of the most useful waves plugins and a very affordable bundle. Beyond that I would add the full Ren bundle or Gold or both. But Musicians 2 is a great starting point and excellent value.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan123 View Post
Hi,
I've been recording music for a few years now and I've had my songs professionally mixed previously. I can no longer afford to go this route - and I own DIGI 002, so I figure I may as well start learning now, to try and get the best mixes for my songs - possible.

I wondered if anybody could refer me to some good, layman friendly articles regarding mixing, adding eq, making a mix shine etc, especially with limited gear.

My music is a mixture of hard, synthetic, guitar based R&B, similar to Hud Mohawke and Rustie. Bright, polished & loud.

Cheers guys.

P.S

The Importance of Space in a Mix: Part I | theProAudioFiles.com
The Importance of Space in a Mix: Part II | theProAudioFiles.com
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...mpression.html
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Cheers guy's,
I'm using Pro Tools LE - I think it's 7.
I'll have a look at the Waves Bundle mentioned.
Old 27th December 2010
DAH
Lives for gear

It`s all bull until you have some accurate sounding space....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search