The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good drum samples? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 25th December 2010
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Good drum samples?

Where can i get some real good drum samples? Crisp, hip hop drums are whats really missing from my beats. I use logic pro, and i think the ones included with it sound kinda weird. So where can i get some good ones, either free or not too expensive? The kinda sounds from drumma boy and lex luger, like on no hands. The sample kit on 20dollarbeats.com is only $10, think its any good?
Old 25th December 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
the fxs's Avatar
 

there's a thread called "share samples here".
check it out,... there are some great free samples around. just search a bit.
Old 25th December 2010
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

1. Go to record shop and buy motown record
2. Attach phonograph to audio interface
3. Place record on plate, search for good break
4. Record into Logic, edit waveform if needed
5. Slice
6. Place or record to seq

Now you have crisp hip hop drums
Old 25th December 2010
  #4
Gear Addict
 
PeeWeeGee's Avatar
 

Sonic Specialists and Sounds in HD. Done.
Old 26th December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMeek View Post
1. Go to record shop and buy motown record
2. Attach phonograph to audio interface
3. Place record on plate, search for good break
4. Record into Logic, edit waveform if needed
5. Slice
6. Place or record to seq

Now you have crisp hip hop drums
indeed.
Old 26th December 2010
  #6
Gear Maniac
 

I find Pete Marriot's recent drum kits to be superb.

I use them frequently.

Thanks once again Pete!
Old 26th December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Greenway View Post
I find Pete Marriot's recent drum kits to be superb.

I use them frequently.

Thanks once again Pete!
definitely some gems in those
Old 26th December 2010
  #8
T1M
Gear Maniac
 

here are three classics that you can never go wrong with





Old 26th December 2010
  #9
g22
Lives for gear
 

it depends what sound your looking for, if your looking for that super clean, synthetic drum sound, a good 808, 606, 909, etc kit is probably your best bet. Basically any kit from those early Roland machines have greart synthetic drums. If you want organic/realistic sounds sampled from real drums, sampling from other records and cd's where real drums were used is your best bet. Or, what I consider to be kind of in between, are machines like the Linn LM-1 and Oberheim DMX, where they used samples of real drums, but each sample is already perfectly chopped and ready to use. However dont sound quite as realistic as drums sampled from records.
Old 29th December 2010
  #10
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMeek View Post
1. Go to record shop and buy motown record
2. Attach phonograph to audio interface
3. Place record on plate, search for good break
4. Record into Logic, edit waveform if needed
5. Slice
6. Place or record to seq

Now you have crisp hip hop drums

No, it will sound thin and noisy cause you forgot the RIAA between TT and interface heh

peace
Old 29th December 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Dayl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Greenway View Post
I find Pete Marriot's recent drum kits to be superb.

I use them frequently.

Thanks once again Pete!
This, most of it is done for you already... all thats left is to sift though it to find the 5% or so that are actually really special. Saying that, it's all usable but.. there are gems to be had in those packs.
Old 29th December 2010
  #12
DAH
Lives for gear
 
DAH's Avatar
If you give a man a fish - you`ll feed `em for a day, if you give `em a fishing rod - you`ll feed `em for a lifetime. (c) Confucius
I mean learn EQ, comp,distortion, layering and built your own drum collection. as a sample base I propose to take any 70`s drums for east coast or west coast style production. anyway, u will have to learn how to layer kicks with sub if you want real hip-hop low-end.
Old 29th December 2010
  #13
Gear Addict
 
Magic Theatre's Avatar
 

Try our free demo packs! see what you think.
Old 1st March 2011
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
profplume's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMeek View Post
1. Go to record shop and buy motown record
2. Attach phonograph to audio interface
3. Place record on plate, search for good break
4. Record into Logic, edit waveform if needed
5. Slice
6. Place or record to seq

Now you have crisp hip hop drums

Great way to go to really experience the art of hip hop production at its core. I feel you on that, but in today's world...if your just looking for the drums without all of the time and effort dealing with dirty records, crappy cables, AD/DA, all that work has been done for you a million times over.

Go here and they have every classic loop from every record imaginable.
DRUM TRACK ZONE - Midi Drum Patterns, Breakbeats, Drum Samples

Also, don't just settle for the samples you hear. Filter, stack, compress, and maybe even use some harmonics exciter. Then you have your drums.

Goldbaby, big fish and akai make really good samples too (using those techniques)
Old 2nd March 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 

ObiAudio has some great free sample packs. Actually TONS of great sample packs all FREE.
Old 2nd March 2011
  #16
Gear Maniac
 
donnie7's Avatar
 

Use Logic's Ultrabeat...

Yo Bro,
You missin' out by not using Ultrabeat in Logic! Some of my hardest drum tracks were created using that plug-in. Pull up the "Deep House Kit" and program yourself a cool pattern. Once you get the beat you like... Make sure your kick is selected and click on the "Full View" Button on the bottom right hand side of UB's window. Next, EDIT the envelope of the kick→shorter or longer to suit your taste. I usually go shorter... Now, add the "Logic Compressor" on your UB Channel Strip using the Platinum patch and make sure you change the "Output Distortion" to Soft in the drop down window menu... dat's the way you get KILLER BEATZ ! Try it and tell me what you think. You can use this method for any of the Ultrabeat patches. The default that comes up when you first open UB is an 808 kit and also a good starting point. Took me years to figure this out... Now go forth and multiply your beat making prowess ! Wishing you all the best that life has to offer... EXPERIMENT !
donsonic
Old 5th April 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
 
SLy_drums's Avatar
 

Check this, it should help you out

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...ml#post6507206
Old 5th April 2011
  #18
Old 8th February 2012
  #19
Here for the gear
 

I wouldn't use the stock sounds that come with most digital audio workstations. It's best to get your drum samples from quality resources to ensure best sound.

Some people like to use samples from old records, but when you're talking about trying to make dirty south beats in the style of Drumma Boy or Lex Luger, etc., you're going to need some real 808 sounds that you can't get on old records.
Old 8th February 2012
  #20
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum Samples View Post
I wouldn't use the stock sounds that come with most digital audio workstations. It's best to get your drum samples from quality resources to ensure best sound.

Some people like to use samples from old records, but when you're talking about trying to make dirty south beats in the style of Drumma Boy or Lex Luger, etc., you're going to need some real 808 sounds that you can't get on old records.
Cant get real 808's on records? Please stop talking mess. Some of the best 808's are from 'old records'. What you do with them post with saturation and or other creative sound design is key. Clean and real 808's such as those sampled from goldbaby - which are great samples still require some effective processing to compete with industry mix processed and mastered samples. The reality is that using a fully mastered processed sample without the context of a mix is limiting to say the least.
Old 8th February 2012
  #21
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post


Cant get real 808's on records? Please stop talking mess. Some of the best 808's are from 'old records'. What you do with them post with saturation and or other creative sound design is key. Clean and real 808's such as those sampled from goldbaby - which are great samples still require some effective processing to compete with industry mix processed and mastered samples. The reality is that using a fully mastered processed sample without the context of a mix is limiting to say the least.
Right, but a lot of people (especially noobs) don't know all the mixing and mastering right away and want samples that have already been processed into quality.

Chopping from old records is still going to require a lot of effects to get them to sound up to par from what professional audio engineers have done with a lot of preset samples.

What I'm trying to say is that a lot of noobs or even experienced beat makers slash producers want drums and samples that already sound PHAT & have already been processed into quality so that they don't have to add too much to them.
Old 8th February 2012
  #22
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum Samples View Post
Right, but a lot of people (especially noobs) don't know all the mixing and mastering right away and want samples that have already been processed into quality.

Chopping from old records is still going to require a lot of effects to get them to sound up to par from what professional audio engineers have done with a lot of preset samples.

What I'm trying to say is that a lot of noobs or even experienced beat makers slash producers want drums and samples that already sound PHAT & have already been processed into quality so that they don't have to add too much to them.
I agree with that. I dont agree that copping something from a record which is mixed and mastered can not compete at all. Any work required is standard mixing /processing. If you want pre-processed sounds rip em from records/cd's whatever. It's cheaper and more effective in my opinion. Sure you can get some great samples. sonic specialists etc etc..the list goes on. In terms of 808's and dirty south electronic drums i will rarely support purchasing a sample set simply because the market is flooded with free alternatives. You can brand them all you want with artists names etc and sure that helps with a few sales. If they sound good even more so but let's not pretend these are ready to go wow i sound like a super producer solutions. That is marketing hype. The closest i have heard are the sonic specialists stuff and that has a sound and is processed. You are limited. If thats what you want go get it.
Old 8th February 2012
  #23
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
I agree with that. I dont agree that copping something from a record which is mixed and mastered can not compete at all. Any work required is standard mixing /processing. If you want pre-processed sounds rip em from records/cd's whatever. It's cheaper and more effective in my opinion. Sure you can get some great samples. sonic specialists etc etc..the list goes on. In terms of 808's and dirty south electronic drums i will rarely support purchasing a sample set simply because the market is flooded with free alternatives. You can brand them all you want with artists names etc and sure that helps with a few sales. If they sound good even more so but let's not pretend these are ready to go wow i sound like a super producer solutions. That is marketing hype. The closest i have heard are the sonic specialists stuff and that has a sound and is processed. You are limited. If thats what you want go get it.
BTW i always stand to be corrected. Prove me wrong and ill conceed.
Old 8th February 2012
  #24
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
I agree with that. I dont agree that copping something from a record which is mixed and mastered can not compete at all. Any work required is standard mixing /processing. If you want pre-processed sounds rip em from records/cd's whatever. It's cheaper and more effective in my opinion. Sure you can get some great samples. sonic specialists etc etc..the list goes on. In terms of 808's and dirty south electronic drums i will rarely support purchasing a sample set simply because the market is flooded with free alternatives. You can brand them all you want with artists names etc and sure that helps with a few sales. If they sound good even more so but let's not pretend these are ready to go wow i sound like a super producer solutions. That is marketing hype. The closest i have heard are the sonic specialists stuff and that has a sound and is processed. You are limited. If thats what you want go get it.
Where did I ever say that copping from a record can't compete? I was saying that it's sometimes best to buy packaged up sounds because they fit a particular subgenre of hip hop music. There's east coast beats, west coast beats, dirty south beats, mid-west beats, etc.. The east coast type of drums are more organic and therefore can be chopped right off of old records, but let's say for example that you want to make a Lex Luger type of beat, well there are sound kits out there that are already organized and zipped up, ready to go.

Finding samples can sometimes be time consuming and not very easy for noobs trying to match a particular style. That's what I'm trying to say. So sometimes it's actually worth it to purchase quality sounds that are already organized and possess quality.

Also, what about soundfonts? You can't get that much control from wav samples as you would a soundfount that is pitched and time-stretched across a keyboard or key span. Well a lot of sample kits come in styles of drumma boy or zaytoven that also have the soundfonts ready to go in them. Noobs arent going to know how to form quality folders or samples into an organinzed format to match certain genres. That takes time and work and is the reason to buy packages that already accommodate their needs.
Old 8th February 2012
  #25
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum Samples View Post
Where did I ever say that copping from a record can't compete? I was saying that it's sometimes best to buy packaged up sounds because they fit a particular subgenre of hip hop music. There's east coast beats, west coast beats, dirty south beats, mid-west beats, etc.. The east coast type of drums are more organic and therefore can be chopped right off of old records, but let's say for example that you want to make a Lex Luger type of beat, well there are sound kits out there that are already organized and zipped up, ready to go.

Finding samples can sometimes be time consuming and not very easy for noobs trying to match a particular style. That's what I'm trying to say. So sometimes it's actually worth it to purchase quality sounds that are already organized and possess quality.

Also, what about soundfonts? You can't get that much control from wav samples as you would a soundfount that is pitched and time-stretched across a keyboard or key span. Well a lot of sample kits come in styles of drumma boy or zaytoven that also have the soundfonts ready to go in them. Noobs arent going to know how to form quality folders or samples into an organinzed format to match certain genres. That takes time and work and is the reason to buy packages that already accommodate their needs.
Ok i get the point. As for where you said and i quote 'Some people like to use samples from old records, but when you're talking about trying to make dirty south beats in the style of Drumma Boy or Lex Luger, etc., you're going to need some real 808 sounds that you can't get on old records.'
Old 8th February 2012
  #26
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
Ok i get the point. As for where you said and i quote 'Some people like to use samples from old records, but when you're talking about trying to make dirty south beats in the style of Drumma Boy or Lex Luger, etc., you're going to need some real 808 sounds that you can't get on old records.'
RIGHT, you can't get that straight off of a chop that you can get in a lot of quality produced drum kits. I'm not saying that chopped samples can't compete though. That's totally 2 different things. It's just how you choose to interpret what I'm saying. Chopping samples from old records would be ok for a lot of east and west coast, but down south sounds come from synthetic drums aka the TR-808 machine etc.. A lot of people want sound that's ready to go and organized into a particular style as to why they buy sounds. Like I said, it can be rather time consuming to form quality kits (especially when you're new & don't know what you're doing).
Old 8th February 2012
  #27
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum Samples View Post
RIGHT, you can't get that straight off of a chop that you can get in a lot of quality produced drum kits. I'm not saying that chopped samples can't compete though. That's totally 2 different things. It's just how you choose to interpret what I'm saying. Chopping samples from old records would be ok for a lot of east and west coast, but down south sounds come from synthetic drums aka the TR-808 machine etc.. A lot of people want sound that's ready to go and organized into a particular style as to why they buy sounds. Like I said, it can be rather time consuming to form quality kits (especially when you're new & don't know what you're doing).
Ok ok, The only reason i was so in your face is because it felt like a blatent plug for the company you're represting in your sig.
Old 9th February 2012
  #28
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
Ok ok, The only reason i was so in your face is because it felt like a blatent plug for the company you're represting in your sig.
Well even if I was representing, you shouldn't be a hater and try to block me like that. Maybe you need to go find your way. But either way, what I'm saying is true about the sampling.
Old 9th February 2012
  #29
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum Samples View Post
Well even if I was representing, you shouldn't be a hater and try to block me like that. Maybe you need to go find your way. But either way, what I'm saying is true about the sampling.
It's not hating .. stop being so sensitive. Its simply that i thought your opinion and advice for people to get sample packs was sole purpose for you to sell em. ..when i really dont believe its required. If it is plenty of well known packs to go for.

If you say hey we sell some nice packs check em out. That's one thing although this part of the site is not for advertising. Its the whole - lets tell people they need something they dont to make a sell that bugged me.

My point above was simply explaining that. Now since then you made a fair point so i backed off. Dont get it twisted.

I never hate - i participate.
Old 9th February 2012
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Dayl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum Samples View Post
But either way, what I'm saying is true about the sampling.
nope, not really my friend. I can see cases where you're dead right but they are exceptions rather than the rule. Reading through you posts, it sounds like you have been a subject to a lil hype (like most of us at some point haha) and some minor, unrealistic 'tales' that you have taken for bond and are now ready to push on to noobs.

Sorry man.. dont mean to sound like an ass and to be fair, we all may have an idea of what constitutes 'quality' when talking drum samples but at the same time the common consensus has considerable depth.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
rhythmtech / So much gear, so little time
8
JAKETYLER / So much gear, so little time
21
nikthegrik / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
13
ixnys / So much gear, so little time
6

Forum Jump
Forum Jump