The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
no one knows how to get this sound... Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

no one knows how to get this sound...

Im trying to get this sound.

I don't know how to explain it. its like a saturation of some sort sound or something but here u go listen to it.

0:02 and 0:08 u hear it very good.

YouTube - Lil Wayne ft. Bun B and Killer Mike - Im Gettin Cake

another great example

0:24 u hear that saturated sound? or whatever its called.

YouTube - The Cool Kids - "Big Talk" Music Video

if anyone can tell me thanks many i been searching everywhere.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

i think i found the answer : izotype vynly or some crap like that. First i need to reformat my komputer then ill test it. It would be great to have some input.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I guessing it's the distorted bass tones you're after... If so, you need to find yourself some good 808 bass drum hits and push them into a piece of gear that will distort them in a pleasant way (1 of maybe 1000 suggestions could be the EMT 266 Limiter, but really, just be creative and use what you have).

If you're on software, check out Softubes FET Compressor and Sony Oxfords Inflator, that's two tools I use from time to time to create distortion-like effects.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_BEATS View Post
Im trying to get this sound.

I don't know how to explain it. its like a saturation of some sort sound or something but here u go listen to it.

0:02 and 0:08 u hear it very good.

YouTube - Lil Wayne ft. Bun B and Killer Mike - Im Gettin Cake

another great example

0:24 u hear that saturated sound? or whatever its called.

YouTube - The Cool Kids - "Big Talk" Music Video

if anyone can tell me thanks many i been searching everywhere.
Yeah, it's saturation, tape, I think. Overdriving PSP's Vintage Warmer will get you there and it's free at their site. If you have Pro Tools, there's a plug called Sans Amp PSA-1 that nicely mangles and distorts sounds.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

im playing around with the hm82 harmonic maximizer and holy **** i got my krk rp5 to push so much air out. What does that mean when it does that? I can literally use my krk's as an air conditioner on how much air they are blow when i twist the nobs on that plugin. lol
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
im playing around with the hm82 harmonic maximizer and holy **** i got my krk rp5 to push so much air out. What does that mean when it does that?
That means alot of sub-audible frequencies, 50Hz and down.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.rOk.stA View Post
That means alot of sub-audible frequencies, 50Hz and down.
is that good?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
is that good?
Of course. I dry my hair that way all the time. Only changed monitors twice. thumbsup
Old 25th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by symplectiq View Post
Of course. I dry my hair that way all the time. Only changed monitors twice. thumbsup
he he funny ish heh

MG, aside from being good at drying hair and contacting far away planets, too much low frequency content is not so good for a mix...
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

back to the main topic. I still don't know how to get the sound but i do think its the izotype vinyl running thru the bass or something. Just gotta find the right setting for it. It can still be saturation but idk..
Old 25th December 2010
Do you mean the saturation on the bassline of the wayne track?
The saturation under the 808 drums in the Cool Kids track sounds different imo.. could be a heavily mangled (saturated, overdriven) parallel copy of the 808 bassdrum track.

Dunno if iZ Vinyl will get you there.. try with a copy of your 808 BD track and use iZ Vinyl on that with the year setting at 1960 or 50.. push "Wear" up a little.. Dust and Scratch are probably less helpful.. but experiment a little.. also try with another saturator or overdrive after Vinyl.

Having the processing on a parallel copy of the track lets you mix the desired amount of effect to the original BD.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Bruh, iZotope vinyl is nice but it won't get you there. It's not the right tool for the job. Try doin' what I told you above. That's about as close as your gonna get to the original song unless you wanna try Massey Tape Head (free too).
Old 26th December 2010
Quote:
Bruh, iZotope vinyl is nice but it won't get you there. It's not the right tool for the job. Try doin' what I told you above. That's about as close as your gonna get to the original song unless you wanna try Massey Tape Head (free too).
Just slapping a plug like Massey TapeHead on the channel could help achieve the kind of saturated bassline in that Wayne track.
But in that Cool Kids track it's something different... experimenting with heavily processing a parallel track could yield something similar.

edit: iZ Vinyl with only the year setting (no dust, no scratch) like I described above is essentially working like a filter.. so that could work quite well together with a saturator on a copy of the 808 BD track.. you don't want to add the deep low frequencies a 2nd time.. that's were the iZ Vinyl year setting comes in handy. But you also could use a band pass filter.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0t0b0t View Post
Just slapping a plug like Massey TapeHead on the channel could help achieve the kind of saturated bassline in that Wayne track.
But in that Cool Kids track it's something different... experimenting with heavily processing a parallel track could yield something similar.

edit: iZ Vinyl with only the year setting (no dust, no scratch) like I described above is essentially working like a filter.. so that could work quite well together with a saturator on a copy of the 808 BD track.. you don't want to add the deep low frequencies a 2nd time.. that's were the iZ Vinyl year setting comes in handy. But you also could use a band pass filter.
Yeah, I see what you're sayin'. I'll have to play with it a little. thumbsup
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

sorry guys i tried almost every thing u told me except for the massey tape because im on cubase 5.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

You can create the bass in the first track with a synth, choose sine waves mix these with squares, use a bit of saturated lp or add sat with the fx section if you dont have sat option on the filter. It'a a very basic sound. The other sound more like a 808 saturated with outboard or something, might be more tricky to reproduce or look at goldbaby stuff you should find something close enough in his Tape 808 pack.
Old 26th December 2010
I tried a little to achieve something similar to the Cool Kids thing..

The 808 BD is going to a parallel track with iZ Vinyl, Massey TapeHead, PSP Nitro, AIR Talkbox, Admiral Quality Naive LPF and Softube Valley People Dyna-mite on it.

The Dyna-mite's external sidechain is fed by the original BD track so it gates in limit mode everytime the original BD triggers it. It's more like ducking.

See the attached file. First 2 bars without the distortion track.
Attached Files

Cool_Kids_test.mp3 (1,001.3 KB, 100 views)

Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, it's saturation, tape, I think. Overdriving PSP's Vintage Warmer will get you there and it's free at their site. If you have Pro Tools, there's a plug called Sans Amp PSA-1 that nicely mangles and distorts sounds.
Vintage Warmer is free?????

Please do tellhehheh

Peace
Illumination
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Vintage Warmer is free?????

Please do tellhehheh

Peace
Illumination
Oooh CRAP! I'm sorry, I meant Voxengo Tube Amp, here's the link.
I'm sorry about the messup.

Audio tube/valve overdrive plugin (AU, VST) - Tube Amp - Voxengo
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

you really think that the producer of the track went parallel into a buss and actually tagged 6-8 plugins on it? nah man i doubt that. i have a couple samples that have that sound, if you want ill upload em later

and that cracklin sound on the cool kids track isnt the bass itself its the shaker type percussion on top of it. it plays throughout the whole track and you can clearly hear it by itself it just creates an illusion when you hear it at the same time as the 808

kinda just sounds like a type of shaker with some lofi/bit distortion. very easy to do within battery (vsti)
Old 26th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheta View Post
you really think that the producer of the track went parallel into a buss and actually tagged 6-8 plugins on it? nah man i doubt that. i have a couple samples that have that sound, if you want ill upload em later

and that cracklin sound on the cool kids track isnt the bass itself its the shaker type percussion on top of it. it plays throughout the whole track and you can clearly hear it by itself it just creates an illusion when you hear it at the same time as the 808

kinda just sounds like a type of shaker with some lofi/bit distortion. very easy to do within battery (vsti)
The saturation is definitely not tacked on to the 808 bass drum track and also not on the shaker/guiro sound.. either it's parallel processing (of part of the 808 BD track) or it's another thing alltogether. I don't think MG meant the guiro sound. Where's that sound in the Wayne track?

I just experimented a little to show MG that he could get in the same ball park with using plugs ITB... is that a bad thing?

The number of plug-ins is irrelevant.. I just started of with iZ Vinyl (cause MG mentioned it) and went from there.. normally I don't use such a long chain of plugs.. Dunno what the producer of the Cool Kids track used, but how can I "decompile" the sound processors used in a finished stereo track.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

I agree that it's more than the shaker, there's that typical saturated 808 sound in there, I also agree that it might be done in parallel since the 808 itself sounds pretty regular... probably a send into some cranked pre...I've done this with a chandler tg2, sounded much better, more creamy.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

i dont listen to this dude but i was trying to find more examples
YouTube - Lil Chuckee - Free Weezy (New April 2010) u hear it right under his vocal? THe original beat doesn't have this...anyone know? and im still trying ur ideas trying to get voxengo to work its not finding it on cubase
Old 27th December 2010
Man, those vocals sound aweful.. I think generally what you hear and ask us to analyze is saturation and distortion. The three examples have not much in common than different kinds of distortion on different elements of very different mixes. The last example especially has a **** sound with ugly distortion and unpleasent pumping.

Experiment some with the plug-ins and techniques mentioned here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search