The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is pro tools a necessity?
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Right, I just came into 250 pounds as a Christmas present from my granddad. I was thinking about buying an mbox mini so that I could buy and run pro tools.... I'm a logic user now, what do we think? I'm going to be doing my first recording for a major album in january and I was wondering if maybe I would need pro tools because its so universal.... any advice people?
Old 24th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Your going to be recording a recording for a major label and you want a mbox?

I realize it's not the gear it's the ear, but to me it would be like sailing across the ocean in a kayak.
Old 24th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by folb695 View Post
Right, I just came into 250 pounds as a Christmas present from my granddad. I was thinking about buying an mbox mini so that I could buy and run pro tools.... I'm a logic user now, what do we think? I'm going to be doing my first recording for a major album in january and I was wondering if maybe I would need pro tools because its so universal.... any advice people?
But to answer your question, you should pic the DAW that you have the most experience on and are most comfortable. This will likely yield the best results and quickest work flow.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

He never said major label. He said major album, as in, important to him in one way or another.

That out of the way, if you use Logic and know Logic well there's no reason you shouldn't use that for the project. Logic is also an industry standard. Don't let the old Pro Tools diatribe fool you. I know quite a few professionals who use Logic as their primary DAW.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

no...
Old 24th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
He never said major label. He said major album, as in, important to him in one way or another.

That out of the way, if you use Logic and know Logic well there's no reason you shouldn't use that for the project. Logic is also an industry standard. Don't let the old Pro Tools diatribe fool you. I know quite a few professionals who use Logic as their primary DAW.

Oh, Sorry I mis read.
Old 24th December 2010
Use Logic and invest your money in decent equipment. Mics, interface, monitors and acoustic treatment are all necessary if you're recording at home.

If you're recording in a studio let the engineer worry about all that.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

any top sequencer is great....get the "industry standered" out of ur head..yes most people use it but doesn't mean other daws can't do the same stuff. At the end of the day its about knowing ur DAW and how ur workflow goes.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

ok well i guess thats the answer then... unanimous from slutz....

haha, to me a major album was one with a proper budget and label, even if the production budget is only 3 grand....

thanks for all the answers.....

I'm still interested to see if there are any other opinions
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Head

you don't need pro tools to get the job done. However, in my opinion, if you one day hope to work as an engineer in some major studios, it is important to know pro tools inside and out. This is the main reason I use pro tools. Not because I think it is the best DAW, but because i want to be as fast and efficient on it as possible with the hopes of one day working out of major studios as an engineer. The more you use it, the better you get on it and the more you learn the hotkeys and get down a better workflow. I keep a binder with pro tools hot keys next to me at all times when I work with pro tools, if there is a new action i need to do that i find myself using my mouse to get to, i will look up the hotkey quickly to add it to my memory. (not in the middle of a session but when i am working at home alone).
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

You should always use what you feel comfortable with and Logic gives you more options when producing music. If at some point the tracks need to be formatted so an engineer or producers can get them into pro tools, logic has a great export option.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I actually LOVE working within Pro Tools. The workflow and efficient way of editing audio puts it tops on my list. But it isn't neccesary for your studio. It all depends on the type of studio you are running. Private studios can have whatever programs the user wants. Commerical studios NEED to be compatible with other commerical studios, so it might be a necessity in that instance.

It all depends is the short answer.
Old 24th December 2010
Motown legend

You no longer need an M-Box to use PT 9. It is the standard medium of recording project file exchange so you'll probably need it at the very least for conversions if you are doing any sort of collaboration with others.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
you don't need pro tools to get the job done. However, in my opinion, if you one day hope to work as an engineer in some major studios, it is important to know pro tools inside and out. This is the main reason I use pro tools. Not because I think it is the best DAW, but because i want to be as fast and efficient on it as possible with the hopes of one day working out of major studios as an engineer. The more you use it, the better you get on it and the more you learn the hotkeys and get down a better workflow. I keep a binder with pro tools hot keys next to me at all times when I work with pro tools, if there is a new action i need to do that i find myself using my mouse to get to, i will look up the hotkey quickly to add it to my memory. (not in the middle of a session but when i am working at home alone).
so I am a producer who mixes a lot of his own stuff. I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to have two different environments for those things. Like here (logic) i make my music over her (PT) i mix
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

You don't need Pro Tools. Get some gear, plugs, or VI's.

I work with two guys that both run Pro Tools out of their facilities. I run Cubase. This is what we do to make sure everything works properly.

1. Set the song tempo (tempo track) for every song prior to recording.
2. Make sure the L locator is set to 0.
3. Consolidate tracks and place "new files" in a separate folder.

The files open up nice and neat with no problems. I try to tell new guys all the time that wav/aiff files are industry standard. Midi is industry standard. Pro Tools is not industry standard.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

If you need to do something that only PT can do : go get it.

If you don't like your DAW : go try it.

Otherwise, forget about it.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Guru

Nah, pro tools isn't a necessity. Learn what you have now. Logic is fully capable of doin what you need it to do.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Short answer....no.

But if you're going to learn a software for recording, should you learn the most widely used recording program in the world...yes.

Keep in mind that the above does not mean you have to settle on using Pro Tools for your own main program. I just think it wise to learn the basics of Pro tools if you are getting into recording.

Just an opinion.

Rob
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

I had many chances to go pro tools and changed my mind everytime.... Ive been using Cubase for over 5 or 6 years and just love it, its hard to say if id ever change over... I feel they are about the same in everyway unless I was going to go HD
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
No go pull out a 20,000 loan buy a rosetta,lunchbox fill it, get a mac, protools, logic a u87,sm7b then 10 years at least under your belt....then come back here and act bitter to people asking questions like you....a star is born
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Here's a slight aside.

Since PT9 supports OMF Natively now, what is the big impetus to go PT? The platform is what is taught in the educational setting, however since OMF is a format embraced by multiple DAWs that whole back and forth compatibility thing seems a little less of an issue.

As well....since PT8s and PT9s format was recently solved, there is no longer a gap for those of you receiving PT format sessions and yet you don't own PT.

You can buy a copy of AAtranslator and load across most session formats that come your way. Then when you are finished you can export from whatever format you're working in to PT 7 8 or 9.

I really think you should find the workflow that suits you best and master it. If that happens to be Pro Tools, Reaper, Logic or Fruity Loops, then get busy at being great at it!

I really think that they should unlock the high trackcount feature for PT9 instead of making it so you have to drop a couple grand to get the extra tracks. The higher track count feature for 9 doesn't make it an HD by any means. The HD version of PT is still based around those DSP cards which are proprietary. I don't see the issue.

Before people start chiming in on why high track counts are X Y and Z. Just consider this.

I think you will start seeing higher track counts on a larger level in the PT9 (non HD) world since the feature is THERE as a standard feature. People will do what they can and complain about what they can't. Human nature.

Rant off.

Peace
Illumination
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Guru

From my experiences with OMF, I don't trust it.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
From my experiences with OMF, I don't trust it.
I definitely understand your concerns on that. I don't trust it either.

HOWEVER, I do trust format conversion from Native to Native to Native.

Its REALLY exciting to see a PT8 session open in Reaper with the crossfades, volumes, pans and automation intact etc.... and to think that they already are working on 9s coding for conversion.

Check it out!
PT8 to Reaper converted

REALLY exciting.

Considering that AA translator is $100 versus PT9 at $600 AND you can convert from other DAWs BESIDES PT8 (and PT9 conversion is RIGHT around the corner), is just promising and then some bro!

Peace
Illumination

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search