The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Favorite preamp under $1000 for hiphop vocals Single-Channel Preamps
Old 24th December 2010
Favorite preamp under $1000 for hiphop vocals

I'm currently running a 4047 through a PRE-73 and it sounds good but I have a feeling there is something better out there in that price range. Just wanted to hear some suggestions. Is the P-Solo any good for hiphop?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Man get a Blue Robbie, ask anyone who has tried it, how great it sounds on vocals, being we both are in Louisiana, I thought it was only right I pass that on to you. Besides that the only other two pres I would consider are the AVEDIS MA5 and for 1100.00 a BAE 1073MP. Maybe a Grace m101 but its a little to clean but does work great with a dark mic.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict
+1 blue robbie
Old 25th December 2010
Yeah I've heard the Robbie would be a good replacement for my 73. I'll def kep that one in consideration if I don't get any other suggestions
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseber View Post
I'm currently running a 4047 through a PRE-73 and it sounds good but I have a feeling there is something better out there in that price range. Just wanted to hear some suggestions. Is the P-Solo any good for hiphop?
Hmmm....

Is the GAP 73 modded??

Do you have any other microphones??

Are you tracking with compression?

Can you post a clip of what your current chain sounds like?

Are you recording yourself or others??

SM7 with the stock GAP73 is a good combo. If that preamp can make a gain starved dynamic at 55db or so sound good, there may be some other factors going on that can have an effect on the perceived quality of your recordings by yourself; hence ALL of these crazy questions.

Peace
Illumination
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
Blue Robbie I've had both...I'm interested in a bae though, never heard one.
Old 25th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Hmmm....

Is the GAP 73 modded??

Do you have any other microphones??

Are you tracking with compression?

Can you post a clip of what your current chain sounds like?

Are you recording yourself or others??

SM7 with the stock GAP73 is a good combo. If that preamp can make a gain starved dynamic at 55db or so sound good, there may be some other factors going on that can have an effect on the perceived quality of your recordings by yourself; hence ALL of these crazy questions.

Peace
Illumination
The GAP is not modded. I do have other mics but I don't use them as the 4047 is significantly nicer than said mics. I am tracking with a little compression. I don't have a clip available at this moment but I will be recording on mostly other male rappers (I myself, do not rap/sing).
Old 25th December 2010
I'm surprised that many people have the Robbie or have used it (I guess it's cuz of the price?)... Is it everyone's secret weapon? I was tracking some of my own vocals for a song and it was pitched to a big name artist; the people who received it loved the track, loved the vocals and the clarity, and are considering the track for the artist's next release. I didn't write the music or the lyrics (I was only the session singer), but I'm glad I'm helping a fellow songwriter whom I've been pushing since he was 15! I'm also glad I don't need an expensive vocal chain to get great results!
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
I'm surprised that many people have the Robbie or have used it (I guess it's cuz of the price?)... Is it everyone's secret weapon? I was tracking some of my own vocals for a song and it was pitched to a big name artist; the people who received it loved the track, loved the vocals and the clarity, and are considering the track for the artist's next release. I didn't write the music or the lyrics (I was only the session singer), but I'm glad I'm helping a fellow songwriter whom I've been pushing since he was 15! I'm also glad I don't need an expensive vocal chain to get great results!

Congrats Chris, keep up the good work.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

i would give a crack at modifying the GAP73 before buying another unit..
Old 25th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tal213 View Post
i would give a crack at modifying the GAP73 before buying another unit..
I read a lot about the difference being fairly neglible =/
Old 25th December 2010
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by light View Post
+1 blue robbie
Ive got a free Robbie coming with the purchase of a Kiwi this month, Im stoked !!!
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Used BAE 1073MP < $1000. Best bet..
Old 12th January 2011
Here for the gear

Favorite preamp under $1000 for hiphop vocals

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBE

Ive got a free Robbie coming with the purchase of a Kiwi this month, Im stoked !!!
Same here!! I only hear good things about the Robbie!!
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

SCA

Since you cant get a Neve for your price, the closest thing would be a SCA N72. Best N circuit available to my ears. More N flavor than the Avedis, and closer to the actual sound at higher gain than the BAE. Many think its the best of N clones. You can get it preassembled from SCA or any good tech, if you dont want to put it together. Best bang for the buck, and worth the rack space. Otherwise just get a Neve and be done.

Since you already have a N clone, you may want to consider a different mic, instead of a better N clone. Probably will impact things more. Maybe even a completely different mic/pre combo for your voice is better suited.

Odds are you dont need anything though. Could be technique. Placement. etc... Can you articulate, what you feel is lacking from your vocals?
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

+1 on the sca (seventh circle audio) n72s...they have other models/clones available for their 8 slot chassis, such as the a12 (api) as well as direct input modules for instruments, etc...you save a whole lot of money as you fill it up, excellent sound.
Old 12th January 2011
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Chris you really are a funny character. I mean how does a thread on preamp for hip hop vocals result on your rant about your success. . I don't mean this in a bad way. You're clearly a passionate dude and best of luck to you buddy. I listened to your music on my space - not my type of thing but i can see the market here no doubt! keep being who you are it just made me chuckle in a nice warming kinda way.
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Addict

Solo 610. Nice and portable too.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
Chris you really are a funny character. I mean how does a thread on preamp for hip hop vocals result on your rant about your success. . I don't mean this in a bad way. You're clearly a passionate dude and best of luck to you buddy. I listened to your music on my space - not my type of thing but i can see the market here no doubt! keep being who you are it just made me chuckle in a nice warming kinda way.
Eeewwwww Not only did you chuckle but You felt nice and warm about Chris Lago!

Old 13th January 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
Eeewwwww Not only did you chuckle but You felt nice and warm about Chris Lago!

I feel awkward now

On that note, Rode K2 into Blue Robbie Produced by me. And no, they don't dress like that when they record, only when they perform live

Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I feel awkward now
not as awkward as i feel after listening to that song!
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear
Any of you guys getting free robbie want to sell it to me? Or perhaps you'd sell me my robbie back lago?? heh
Old 13th January 2011
Here is a song from the latest album I did with DNS. I'm attaching both of their verses because their voices are so different. I would've put them up sooner but we had to clear them first. This is the 4047 > GAP Pre73.
Attached Files

DNS verses.mp3 (3.47 MB, 936 views)

Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I feel awkward now

On that note, Rode K2 into Blue Robbie Produced by me. And no, they don't dress like that when they record, only when they perform live

I really liked it! the vocals sounded quite nice if i'm being honest!

I wouldn't mind an acapella of those vox to remix that joint!
Old 13th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrob View Post
Any of you guys getting free robbie want to sell it to me? Or perhaps you'd sell me my robbie back lago?? heh
Haha well I'm thinking about it heh
Old 13th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
I really liked it! the vocals sounded quite nice if i'm being honest!

I wouldn't mind an acapella of those vox to remix that joint!
I'll ask them if they're ok with that! I'll be posting the full song on my website soon.

Oh and the Robbie is great for Rap vocals.
Old 13th January 2011
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
I feel awkward now

How funny! haha! I'm glad I managed to make you feel the same way i felt when looking at your myspace link (J/K)
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseber View Post
Here is a song from the latest album I did with DNS. I'm attaching both of their verses because their voices are so different. I would've put them up sooner but we had to clear them first. This is the 4047 > GAP Pre73.
Both of those verse were very dope, in my opinion. Props, indeed. I don't have any preamp knowledge to share, as I'm just now getting my own home studio together, but did wanna say that what you guys are doing sounds solid to me. Won't try to convince you to stick with what you have now or anything, but I hear no problems. Keep progressing. Peace
Old 13th January 2011
Quote:
How funny! haha! I'm glad I managed to make you feel the same way i felt when looking at your myspace link (J/K)
Check out my bandcamp link instead.
Old 13th January 2011
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Check out my bandcamp link instead.
Sure thing - I'll check it out when i get home buddy. No audio in the office.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search