The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Favorite preamp under $1000 for hiphop vocals Single-Channel Preamps
Old 13th January 2011
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
Sure thing - I'll check it out when i get home buddy. No audio in the office.
Chris I had a good listen dude. I really like a number of tracks. I'm talking mostly about the mix and actual music. Some of the production is Great! I love the low end and personally am a fan of a lot of electro being based in the UK. Good Job dude!

I'm not so keen on some of the lyrics and vocal melodies. The Vocal is not bad by any means but it doesn't do anything for me. At times I wished I was listening to someone else. Please remember this is just my personal opinion. I can defo see a market for it and know a number of people that would really dig it and so have forwarded the link to them. It's not entirely my cup of tea. The thing is some of the production excluding the vocal is! Good Job though chris and i'm sure you're on the way up! best of luck in everything you do. I hope i can one day create something that sounds as good as that (just with my musicality).
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Maniac

that karamel track was very good these girl can sing, I would enjoy to hear that on the radio like I would turn the volume up, for real.
Old 13th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
Chris I had a good listen dude. I really like a number of tracks. I'm talking mostly about the mix and actual music. Some of the production is Great! I love the low end and personally am a fan of a lot of electro being based in the UK. Good Job dude!

I'm not so keen on some of the lyrics and vocal melodies. The Vocal is not bad by any means but it doesn't do anything for me. At times I wished I was listening to someone else. Please remember this is just my personal opinion. I can defo see a market for it and know a number of people that would really dig it and so have forwarded the link to them. It's not entirely my cup of tea. The thing is some of the production excluding the vocal is! Good Job though chris and i'm sure you're on the way up! best of luck in everything you do. I hope i can one day create something that sounds as good as that (just with my musicality).
Hey no problem, at least you're being honest about it. There's definitely a market since I just signed a publishing deal for the whole album. I find that my vocals are much better now than they were when I recorded the album, and my next songs are even better. I'm only going up from here. About preamps, if you listen to Runway Model, I mean I only used an Art Digital MPA w. Telefunken tubes, this can be had for 250-300! People need to think about these things! Even worse, on the songs Not My Lover and Between Your Legs, I'm only using the Edirol UA-25's preamps, so sometimes people need to step back and focus on the vocals, not so much the gear used. Runway Model probably has the best vocals on the whole album, and it's the song that sells the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon FP View Post
that karamel track was very good these girl can sing, I would enjoy to hear that on the radio like I would turn the volume up, for real.
Thanks, I think they are about to get signed. If you guys didn't notice already, the brunette is actress Cassie Steele, best known for playing Manny Santos on the show Degrassi. They have a big following already and they pack the venues (I know because I went to see them a couple of times). Their first music video was released independently and already has 200 thousand views! I am so excited for them! I only work with them at the moment, because I want to focus on their music right now, I mean this project is very much worth it because all 3 (the 2 girls and the songwriter) are amazing and I think they will go far. I like to work on projects especially when it counts!

So you see how the K2 + Blue Robbie Can go quite far? It's my favorite combination for female vocals. I don't like the K2 with the MA5, it doesn't pair well at all I find. In this case preamp selection is crucial. This is why I think everyone should have a colourless or softer sounding pre, and a colored pre to pick and choose. Same with mics. If you get colored mics and more transparent or darker mics (like the sm7 for example), you can match a ton of vocal styles. Also, the c800g pairs well with the MA5 and the Blue Robbie. If I had the money I would have the c800g, a vintage u87, a u47, u67, sm7, a Telefunken 251 or Soundelux 251 and a RCA Ribbon mic. Then for pre I'd keep the Robbie, add a Neve 1073, Fearn Vt-1, Api 512 for instruments, and Finally for compression, an LA-2A, Cl1b and Distressor. I mean we can all dream right?
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Hey no problem, at least you're being honest about it. There's definitely a market since I just signed a publishing deal for the whole album. I find that my vocals are much better now than they were when I recorded the album, and my next songs are even better. I'm only going up from here. About preamps, if you listen to Runway Model, I mean I only used an Art Digital MPA w. Telefunken tubes, this can be had for 250-300! People need to think about these things! Even worse, on the songs Not My Lover and Between Your Legs, I'm only using the Edirol UA-25's preamps, so sometimes people need to step back and focus on the vocals, not so much the gear used. Runway Model probably has the best vocals on the whole album, and it's the song that sells the most.

Thanks, I think they are about to get signed. If you guys didn't notice already, the brunette is actress Cassie Steele, best known for playing Manny Santos on the show Degrassi. They have a big following already and they pack the venues (I know because I went to see them a couple of times). Their first music video was released independently and already has 200 thousand views! I am so excited for them! I only work with them at the moment, because I want to focus on their music right now, I mean this project is very much worth it because all 3 (the 2 girls and the songwriter) are amazing and I think they will go far. I like to work on projects especially when it counts!

So you see how the K2 + Blue Robbie Can go quite far? It's my favorite combination for female vocals. I don't like the K2 with the MA5, it doesn't pair well at all I find. In this case preamp selection is crucial. This is why I think everyone should have a colourless or softer sounding pre, and a colored pre to pick and choose. Same with mics. If you get colored mics and more transparent or darker mics (like the sm7 for example), you can match a ton of vocal styles. Also, the c800g pairs well with the MA5 and the Blue Robbie. If I had the money I would have the c800g, a vintage u87, a u47, u67, sm7, a Telefunken 251 or Soundelux 251 and a RCA Ribbon mic. Then for pre I'd keep the Robbie, add a Neve 1073, Fearn Vt-1, Api 512 for instruments, and Finally for compression, an LA-2A, Cl1b and Distressor. I mean we can all dream right?
Yes we can.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Word up bro. I love your enthusiasm. That same enthusiasm has gotten my group and I pretty far as well, but then negative things happened and we as humans often let negativity cloud the positivity we once embodied. Now, we're heading back towards the positive and things are already looking up. I mention this only because, I love to see other people enthusiastic and accomplishing what they set out to accomplish. That can be music-related, or related to any other venture one sets out to succeed at. Keep going, and be powerful. Peace.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Awesome.. lets market some more dirty white girls.. theres always a market for that. I love the way the use the power of suggestion in an mind numbing cliche way without ever get to the point .. just say it .. yawn... you're already dressed like a cheaptrick.

Fire their Stylist and who ever is in charge of their song writing (lyrical content etc).

Apart from that... all good, the vocals sounded great but considering the subject matter, the song (music,production) needed more pump pump pump and a few musical money shots.
Old 14th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post
Awesome.. lets market some more dirty white girls.. theres always a market for that. I love the way the use the power of suggestion in an mind numbing cliche way without ever get to the point .. just say it .. yawn... you're already dressed like a cheaptrick.

Fire their Stylist and who ever is in charge of their song writing (lyrical content etc).

Apart from that... all good, the vocals sounded great but considering the subject matter, the song (music,production) needed more pump pump pump and a few musical money shots.
I think contemporary hip-hop is a lot worse than what I posted lol.
Old 14th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic View Post
Both of those verse were very dope, in my opinion. Props, indeed. I don't have any preamp knowledge to share, as I'm just now getting my own home studio together, but did wanna say that what you guys are doing sounds solid to me. Won't try to convince you to stick with what you have now or anything, but I hear no problems. Keep progressing. Peace
Thanks dude, I appreciate the feedback!
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseber View Post
Thanks dude, I appreciate the feedback!
Indeed brotha. Props where props are deserved.
Old 14th January 2011
Actually the Ma5 in a lunchbox would be close to a grand used. If you go on my bandcamp, listen to the song "die for me", second verse has me rapping on it, with the JZ Bh-2 and MA5 pre on my voice.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually the Ma5 in a lunchbox would be close to a grand used. If you go on my bandcamp, listen to the song "die for me", second verse has me rapping on it, with the JZ Bh-2 and MA5 pre on my voice.
You still with Taxi hows that going if so ?
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think contemporary hip-hop is a lot worse than what I posted lol.
Hahaha fair cop.
Old 14th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
You still with Taxi hows that going if so ?
I still am but I'm not submitting things on there anymore. I don't think I'll rejoin either. It's a great site but it doesn't suit me anymore.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search