The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need a Good Enough PC build or Store Bought to Run Maschine and NI Komplete 7?
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Need a Good Enough PC build or Store Bought to Run Maschine and NI Komplete 7?

yea, so my ideas of wanting to get eastwest libraries and some other orchestral sounds gone out the window when i seen how much money i would have to pay to build or buy a new pc, than get the software to run efficiently. When rumored and read i was looking at over $2,500 for a pc to run that kind of stuff. Sorry don't got that kinda money. I'd be lucky to shell out a 1k the highest i go is 1,600 hundred but i really want to keep it at grand or 850.

I wanting to run the maschine with komplete 7 so i can take advantage of some kontakt sounds and some of the libraries they have formatted to it when i want real sounds. Also have future plans to sell the mpc25k and asr 10 to get me a motif xs rack. Since that seem cheaper than me trying to shell out money for a pc and EastWest software. So that's what i'm facing.

Why post it here instead of the pc forum? Cause i make hiphop like all of you and some may can knock some sense to me to say hey....Unless your trying to score a movie or make a orchestra ensemble you don't need Eastwest. And for 850 you can get a pc at this spec to run all of that. LOL somebody might know, worth asking all ya'll can say is yes or no.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

side note: i'm a sample based beat maker, so i only use other instruments to build around my sample if needed and if it fits. I rarely if ever compose a whole beat. Just in loved with samples, and i can't stop fooling with it.
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

A dell studio for 850 could run that, the processing power of the apps can be mainly driven by an audio interface, like an mbox or maudio. I use those apps a lot with a dual core processor and like 3 gigs of ram @ 3ghz, it's the mbox I use that takes the load off of the pc so you don't need a supercomputer if you have a decent box.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

I hate Dell, they have never been reliable for me. If I was to buy a desktop for a off shelf manufacturer it would be HP. Just don't know what HP pc tagged would give the power I would need. Another sidenote I just remembered eastwest had put up smaller gold libraries to run on less expensive pcs. Even Hollywood Strings got a gold version. So what some desktop or laptop options that can get the job done within my budget? Please send me more suggestions!
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAS View Post
I hate Dell, they have never been reliable for me. If I was to buy a desktop for a off shelf manufacturer it would be HP. Just don't know what HP pc tagged would give the power I would need. Another sidenote I just remembered eastwest had put up smaller gold libraries to run on less expensive pcs. Even Hollywood Strings got a gold version. So what some desktop or laptop options that can get the job done within my budget? Please send me more suggestions!
Check out ZT AFFINITY.. In Cotsco online they have an i7 quad core @3ghz , 12gbram, windows 7 64bit and 1tb for about 999$
only thing you'll need is a monitor heh
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

An I7 aint that expensive, you can build yourself a good one for something like 1500$ probably (everything computer included, no audio card to). save on grafic card/screen/mouse all that stuff and get a good mobo, good cpu, good ram, good hd (most important parts for audio), for your audio card I highly recomend rme, these are very good and reliable, go with pci, most have digital I/O that allow you to get your converters later. as far as EW instruments I dunno, been reading so much negative posts about their play stuff... Kontakt is very reliable, there's tons of great sounds available for it too.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I agree and would like to add :

Don't be cheap with the mobo, if you have super ram, hyper cpu and top notch HD but your mobo doesn't handle everything perfectly, it's an epic fail.

Beyond the classic specs (pcie ports, how many sata and pata devices, etc) a point that is very important is the FSB, it's like the road every component will use to transmit data, for audio it's a critical point. So the higher is the better for this element.

Another point is the chips, the chip that will handle USB, the one that will handle FW and most important : the northbridge (southbridge too but it will be chosen by manufacturer according to the northbridge and other geeky facts you don't care).

Also, how many Gb of RAM and which types can be put, etc.

And don't rely on the logical scheme "an expensive model from a good brand will do the job perfectly", those who bought a classy mobo with a first generation VIA chip know what I'm talking about.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

I would go for an AMD Quad Core or a 6 Core to be perfectly honest.

I built my 4 core Athlon II System with 4 GB of Ram and Mobo for $251.
This system can run 220+ tracks at 256 samples with 200+ active plugins running. 24 bit 44.1 khz. I have 3 TB of storage space.

I would recommend you go up about $300 more and spring for more RAM (At least 8 GB total), a nice set of 1TB hard drives and a copy of Windows 7 64.

Also make sure you DAW can actually take advantage of all that RAM.

When you see people talking about running PT on systems with lots and lots of RAM they are using a Rewire Client that is coded for a 64 bit OS to stream into PT (which is still 32 bit and has a limit on how much RAM it can see, I believe Windows its usually 2GB an application, unless you do the 3GB switch in the registry but this can make some of your apps unstable like the UAD stuff). This is how they take advantage of the large RAM counts without using a 64 bit DAW.

However if you are not using PT, there are 64 bit DAWs out there (Sonar, Reaper, help me out here who is 64 bit now) that take full advantage of the total RAM a 64 bit coded program can recognize.

The plugins you are using should be coded for a 64 bit OS as well or they won't work the same regarding the RAM I believe.

Comparing the computers here at the Grooveyard the new I7 system has a faster speed per core and more RAM than my 4 core AMD system.

HOWEVER, PT9 does not take advantage of the 12 GB RAM available (YET) in the computer only the first 2 GB......32 bit ya know....So I would buy or build a system that allows you to grow with your software which you can upgrade over time. (Ram compatibility, chip upgrades etc....)

I would investigate if Maschine and the other software you want to use is available as a 64 bit app and then buy/build from there.

PS You can definitely try the 64 bit version of Reaper as a free trial to see how a 64 bit DAW handles large RAM counts. SUPER FAST.

Peace
Illumination
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search