The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Real Violin on tracks
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Real Violin on tracks

This might get moved or deleted, I'm not sure what the rules are on this one. But I'll throw it out there.

I'm trying to put live violin on a track. Unfortunately the cost of the studio time plus the violinist gets a little bit much. But I did the math -

If 8 people are interested in having violin on a track, and it takes half an hour per track - I need 4 hours of studio time. Half a day. I've got a studio lined up where I can get that for 200$. The studio has a big open space, and a pick of a U67, RCA44, Coles 4038, or a JJ Husky (AMAZING sounding mic) which I'll bringing, into api, pacifica, or mci pre. Nice eqs and comps if necessary.

The violinist agreed to a half days work for 250$, and I'd engineer so there'd be no engineering fee.

Eight people, plus me, dividing up 450$ in expenses equals $50 per person. Not bad.

So, if anyone is interested on putting some shine on a track with real violin shoot me a pm. She's very good at coming up with parts (as am I), reading notes, charts, or playing a pre-recorded line by ear.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

PM sent!
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'd try to make sure the player you hire is a good "session player" or you might end up using more time recording the parts you need.

Good networking post. thumbsup
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

Would it be track specific on the violin front or samples sent out to those involved?

Im not sure my sentence quite makes sense so what I mean is.... If I send a track and say get some violin over section 'X' for 8 bars it is thus track specific and unique. Or do you mean sending us samples from the days work for us to do as we please?

Reading back I think Ive made it clear to myself what you mean and it sounds slightly stupid now but just checking...

Good idea regardless.
thumbsup
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Guru

Real Violin on tracks

Excellent idea! Heck of a deal for some producers needing real strings.

Just make sure the room and the player are on point!
Old 24th December 2010
I'm seriously thinking about it! I just need to find a song that needs a violin.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've worked with this violinist before - she's very good. Nice tone, good emotion, thinks up parts quickly for harmonies, can sight read very well. The room is why I'm not simply tracking at PSM's place. His room is badass for certain sounds, but it's absorption based, and 16x22 in the tracking room. The room I want to use is diffusion and absorption with a really high, angled ceiling, and is about 20x35 in the tracking room.

Also - the violinist is a traditional player - not a fiddler! I had someone contact me about that. I happen to know a very good fiddler as well, but this is specifically for traditional violin.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambianastronaut View Post
Would it be track specific on the violin front or samples sent out to those involved?

Im not sure my sentence quite makes sense so what I mean is.... If I send a track and say get some violin over section 'X' for 8 bars it is thus track specific and unique. Or do you mean sending us samples from the days work for us to do as we please?

Reading back I think Ive made it clear to myself what you mean and it sounds slightly stupid now but just checking...

Good idea regardless.
thumbsup
Basically, the way I figure it would work there's a few options:

Send an instrumental track. Either ask us to create the parts as we see fit, hum or play a part you want replaced with the real deal, or notate the part to be played with instruction on how the dynamics and approach should be.

Or,

Send over a few melodic ideas, either notated, or sung, or played, and I'll record them to a click, and send the files back.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
Excellent idea! Heck of a deal for some producers needing real strings.

Just make sure the room and the player are on point!
Thanks!

When I record bands I've recommended they "buddy up" with another band who wants to record - because the studios lower their prices for day rates if a number of days is booked simultaneously. And also, if a band only needs 2.5 days, the other band can pick up that remaining half day.

This is just an extrapolation of that idea - if everyone throws down, it ends up more cost effective for everyone, and the violinist makes more money that way.

If it works the way I hope (and I feel confident it will), it should be a successful bridging of communities, and perhaps will open the door to doing similar things in the future.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Storyville...

Did i read correctly that this is gonna cost $50?

If so.. it's an absolute no brainer... and i'm in... i have a track i can mp3 at 320 and send to you... i'm in the UK so can i pay with paypal is my main concern..

I'll check back later to see what you think.. but i must point out that your really do offer a lot to this Forum... i read your helpful posts and see your good attitude...

Respect.

Zz.

Agzilla Productions - Professional soundscape, production and audio design
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agzilla View Post
Storyville...

Did i read correctly that this is gonna cost $50?

If so.. it's an absolute no brainer... and i'm in... i have a track i can mp3 at 320 and send to you... i'm in the UK so can i pay with paypal is my main concern..

I'll check back later to see what you think.. but i must point out that your really do offer a lot to this Forum... i read your helpful posts and see your good attitude...

Respect.

Zz.

Agzilla Productions - Professional soundscape, production and audio design
Thanks man! shoot me a PM. I'm up to four confirmed, this looks like there's a good chance this will happen.

I spoke with (well, emailed) the studio owner. He said that he has a lot of stuff going on around the 16th, but he said he would reserve Jan 20th for me - and said I don't need to put down a deposit. Having a history of paying up front and on time has perks
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Guru

Real Violin on tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville

Thanks!

When I record bands I've recommended they "buddy up" with another band who wants to record - because the studios lower their prices for day rates if a number of days is booked simultaneously. And also, if a band only needs 2.5 days, the other band can pick up that remaining half day.

This is just an extrapolation of that idea - if everyone throws down, it ends up more cost effective for everyone, and the violinist makes more money that way.

If it works the way I hope (and I feel confident it will), it should be a successful bridging of communities, and perhaps will open the door to doing similar things in the future.

Yea man, a studio I work at all the time does 24 hour lockouts for the price of most places 12 hour. Split it up between two bands doing 12 hour days and it's a great deal
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

So to answer a few questions:

1) When does payment, music, and parts need to be ready?

I'd like to have everything in by January 13th - so there's a good week buffer before the actual session. This gives me time to plan the session.

2) Is it one song or one half hour worth of stuff?

I'd like to keep it to one song -ish. No hard and fast rules, I just have to be respectful of the violinist who agreed to do this. There needs to be a little downtime between each person's project to get into the proper mind frame and figure out the part. I have one person who expressed interest in 2 slots - which is an hour dedicated to his material. This may allow for 2 songs and some change. Basically, it's a judgment call.

3) Other musicians and instruments?

The only way this really works is if a good number of people are contributing to the same musician for her/his time.

I do know many instrumentalists - including some very talented multi-instrumentalists - but I'd like to see how this first go pans out - unless there's like a major demand for another instrument right now.

PS - Merry Christmas!
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Does the studio have a phone patch? In case one wants to listen in on the session...
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceaddict View Post
Does the studio have a phone patch? In case one wants to listen in on the session...
That's a good question. I'll have to ask. Though I have a hunch they don't. They're like 30$ though right?
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Storyville,

if you're having a session with a violinist later on next year and wanna split expences I'm also interested. Right now I don't need violin parts on my tracks. I hardly use violin synths or samples when making music (i think it once became kind of a bad cliche in hip hop beats). The real thing is different though.

This seems great
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMeek View Post
Storyville,

if you're having a session with a violinist later on next year and wanna split expences I'm also interested. Right now I don't need violin parts on my tracks. I hardly use violin synths or samples when making music (i think it once became kind of a bad cliche in hip hop beats). The real thing is different though.

This seems great
Cool man. I use strings fairly regularly in my music, so I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

I agree - violin synths really don't cut it the way the real thing does.

However - a trick I use in my production from time to time is use an orchestra patch from a softsynth, and bookend it with real strings.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

Real Violin on tracks

I'd be way into this but, if I have a song with a 4 or 5 part harmony I want recorded wouldn't I'd be taking up more time than some one else?

Are you going to divide everyone up by time blocks for their money? I'd pay $100 for double the time.

And where is the studio exactly?
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Guru

Real Violin on tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville

That's a good question. I'll have to ask. Though I have a hunch they don't. They're like 30$ though right?
Along those lines, you could check out Source Connect. It's a plugin that both you and the other guy would put it the session and it allows the othe party to hear and even record in real time at his location. Not sure if they have a demo or not. There are also a couple other companies doing thensame thing. I know esession is another one.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

@Asian Steve: Possibly - it depends on how many stacks you want from the 4/5 part, and how much variation you want across the song - and how complex the parts are.

I can always send the part over to the violinist and see what she says about it.

The studio is called Miner Street, and it's located in Fishtown in Philadelphia, PA.

On another note - I have enough people who want to do this - so I'm going to start collecting parts and payment. Basically, I'll do a first come first serve basis. If it seems to be filling up fast, I'll figure out how to extend the studio time. I think after 4 hours of playing and working out parts, I'm going to have to take her and my intern to lunch (probably myself too).
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Along those lines, you could check out Source Connect. It's a plugin that both you and the other guy would put it the session and it allows the othe party to hear and even record in real time at his location. Not sure if they have a demo or not. There are also a couple other companies doing thensame thing. I know esession is another one.
That sounds like a pain in the ass to setup = studio time.

I think at least for this first one, people may have to take a leap of faith with me. If the studio owner says it's easy to do, maybe I'll try to set it up so people can listen in.

However, if the purpose is so that people can remotely produce the session I'd have to say it's a no go - unless they are willing to take on the burden of my engineering fee, and any additional time doing so might take up.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Guru

Real Violin on tracks

Yea, no question your original idea is easier and less time consuming. But once phone setups were brought in to thenpicture, figured it was worth mentioning
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea, no question your original idea is easier and less time consuming. But once phone setups were brought in to thenpicture, figured it was worth mentioning
Good call.

Ok - so, I'm going to start sending out/collecting PMs. I think PayPal is the easiest way to do this - the charge is like $3 - and it keeps things nice and easy with a record. I'll be reaching out to a few of the people who expressed interest, but feel free to shoot me a PM about grabbing a slot.

I want to get contact info - full name, email, and phone number - so that I can keep everything organized, and also reach out if I need clarification on what's needed - and of course where to send the stems when it's finished.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Hello all - January 13th is approaching. I have a lot of people express interest, but only three have actually sent money, and none have sent music. So, if you are in fact truly interested, please do contact me with music and payment. Payment being operative as that tells me who is actually interested, rather than interested in theory.

On another note, I thought about the accessibility of the session - I do have Skype, which is quick and easy, and will allow people to "be there" without actually being there.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

deleted: just realised what I wrote could be a bit of a conflict of interests with the OP!
Old 4th January 2011
Here for the gear

Is it possible to get just 30 minutes of playing. Meaning almost random bars.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

hey....

Sounds excellent...I live in south jersey....

should i submit the mp3 before the session, or bring them when we come in for the session.

thanks in advance.

Ozzborn .... The sound of.... The End on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

[email protected]
Old 4th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Hello all - January 13th is approaching. I have a lot of people express interest, but only three have actually sent money, and none have sent music. So, if you are in fact truly interested, please do contact me with music and payment. Payment being operative as that tells me who is actually interested, rather than interested in theory.

On another note, I thought about the accessibility of the session - I do have Skype, which is quick and easy, and will allow people to "be there" without actually being there.
I'll have notation and audio for you this week! This is an experiment and I hope folks will sign up for it. I'm not going to bug you on Skype, just let you get on with it!
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Story.

I sent you an email reply to your mail...but don't know if you got it?

Can you email me your details so i can pay you with Paypal?

I'm still in.. got a track ready-ish! Just wanna know what kind of file you want it sent as..ie. .wav .mp3 etc...

Good to go though... payment no problem.. just never heard back from you email wise.. and for some strange reason i can't find the PM button here?

Think i'm going crazy... been in mix mayhem battling with this one track.... ugh..

Anyway..

Holla... let me know if you got the mail i sent previously...!

Thanx again.

Zz.
Old 4th January 2011
wreckingstuff
This is a good opportunity slutz, you would not be able to set this up for $53/£36 under any other circumstances.

Session player, good room in pro studio, nice mics, engineer who knows wtf he is doing (There are examples of Storyville's tracking and mixing skills in various threads here if you have any doubts.)

If you have tracks sitting around where you did strings in Kontact or whatever, jump on it.

I wouldn't worry about it being 'only' solo violin, or paying $50 then not using the track for anything, I'm planning to work my recordings in the sampler anyway, they may be used on multiple projects, and not in the context I have in mind at the moment.

I am hoping this goes off smoothly and all parties come away happy... So I can encourage Storyville to run a similar session with a drummer/rapper/chipmunk etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search