The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Real Violin on tracks
Old 29th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
FYI - I've been so busy, I haven't even collected the $50 the Subaltern western unioned me like three weeks ago.
all good..i hope with the fluctuating exchange rate that it doesn't mess up the bucks...any idea when you think you'd be able to send it?
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaltern View Post
all good..i hope with the fluctuating exchange rate that it doesn't mess up the bucks...any idea when you think you'd be able to send it?
Gonna set an upload for tonight, go to sleep - wake up tomorrow, try to find a better internet connection.
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agzilla View Post
Well just to thank Story one more time here's the track i'm working on with the violins as recorded as a result of this thread...

I wrote the bits with a softsynth string preset and they layered 'em up with the live violin x4, I also had someone else here do the lower cello lines and viola bit but in case anyone is interested who took part in this thread and sharing exercise i thought i'd post it in progress to be checked out..

Thanx one final time Story... really cool thing you did for everyone...

Respect.

Zzilla..

Sounds great!

Haha - I can hear the separate voices sometimes heh

The chorus's sound ginormous. And the new ending is badass.

LeoLeoLeo has something going on with Upright bass - which I think is pretty cool. Very very very hard to find a serious upright player, and Leo's a badass engineer. $50 is a steal, and I'm definitely throwing down for it. I think Subaltern's got two slots.

Doing this is a lot of work, so I'm glad Leo grabbed the torch. Hopefully we can keep this thing going as like a monthly or bi-monthly "musician group buy."

I know eventually I'd like to try it again with drums at PSM's place. I know there's mixed feelings about Bobby - but I can a really great drum sound at his place - very unique and great for Hip Hop. He has a large dimension absorption based room - which means you get an open sound, but still a tight sound, and a Tama Starclassic set with a few different snares. Not sure how to select the player, I know three really good drummers.
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agzilla View Post
Well just to thank Story one more time here's the track i'm working on with the violins as recorded as a result of this thread...

I wrote the bits with a softsynth string preset and they layered 'em up with the live violin x4, I also had someone else here do the lower cello lines and viola bit but in case anyone is interested who took part in this thread and sharing exercise i thought i'd post it in progress to be checked out..

Thanx one final time Story... really cool thing you did for everyone...

Respect.

Zzilla..

thanks for posting dude thumbsup

sounds great, nice chops - cool style & sound....and sheeit, 50 bucks? might have to get on a later round.
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you gentlemen for your kind words....

"did you layer chopped up samples from elsewhere with live and softsynth strings or chopped up softsynths and live samples? i'm liking this a lot"

All of the above is the answer...lol... it's a mix n blend mish mash...

Really glad someone digs it...

Respect.

Zz.
Old 30th January 2011
Lives for gear

So - everyone except for Subaltern and KT1 should have their tracks now. Right? Yes? Good?
Old 30th January 2011
Lives for gear

thumbsup
Old 30th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Sorry. And my preferred cellist moved to New Orleans. I am sad.

Anyways,

To all who are participating - I've sent out a few emails already, will be sending out the rest later this evening. If you do not receive and email from me by the end of today confirming the details of your project PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me an email. If you receive the email and any information is incorrect PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me an email.

Also - if anyone in Philly wants to grab an 8 hour block, from 3pm-11pm, or 4pm-12am let me know. I'm starting the string session at 9am, and expecting it to go 1pm-2pm. Half a day is already paid for, so, there's a full days worth of time left at half a day's rate. This way, I can make some moneys heh
I moved from Philly to ATL but I'm always in New Orleans. If you need me to get time at a spot in NOLA (or in Baton Rouge) and cut your preferred cellist, I can. I know a guy in New Orleans who plays bass and Upright who I could get to do session work. His name is Chris Severin. He tours with the Neville Brothers but would probably be down to cut when he's not touring. (I may have some string needs coming up. I know I missed this session date but I'd be down to chip in on future sessions).
Old 31st January 2011
Lives for gear

LeoLeoLeo is doing Upright Bass tracking for $50/song. Just to let peoples know.
Old 31st January 2011
Lives for gear

How about a human percussion group recording?

As much as people over look this. Its really hard to find 10 people at 3pm to come to your studio and Stomp the Yard ON BEAT.

Handclaps

Thigh Slapping.

Percussion via Tambourine.

Truly worth every minute of recording it and oftentimes completely skipped for the sake of convenience.

I dare any one of you to buy a $10 tambourine and never find a use for it on a hip hop track.

Peace
Illumination
Old 31st January 2011
Real Violin on tracks

I don't call it a tamborine, I call it the hit maker. It's on every track I do. Either felt or heard.
Old 7th May 2011
Lives for gear

I am so SAD I missed this thread/deal
That will teach me for not checking in more often.

I have to say though, I am very, very suprised that only a few people were interested in this.

I hope there will be more violins/strings deals like that, maybe next time we could also try with 3 or 4 players.

Keep this thread alive
Old 8th May 2011
Lives for gear

It ended up being a hell of a lot of work for both me and the violinist. Most everyone was very happy with the results - but on two projects in particular I felt it could have turned out better. I offered to refund both of those participants out of pocket but they were kind enough to let it slide.

Ultimately, at least in the way I put it together I don't feel like it was totally successful - close but not quite. The other concern is that while I'm glad I did it, it isn't something I can personally do to often because the way I set it up I don't make any money. I get the studio and violinist paid, which is good, is but it's only something I can do if I don't have other projects at hand.

But, I'd still like people to post up their results, and give feedback and such. I don't think the idea was a bad one - just needs to be executed correctly.
Old 8th May 2011
Lives for gear

Ah, thank you for the feedback, very much appreciatted. I can imagine it was a tough one, getting everything setup and organized, I guess with this sort of project, the more you do it the easier it gets, but, it has to be worth it for everyone, as always... It's funny though, how in general, people value software more than paying for real musicians, engineers, composers, arrangers...
I mean, those software "group" buys out there, they generate so much interest in general, but here, I realised that even close to the deadline, getting 8 x $50 wasn't an easy task. Then you hear everyone saying how good real strings and brass sounded... How great the music was... But these people keep buying plugins, gear etc... Then they come here and ask how to get the most out of a £2k piece of gear, that saddens me greatly.

I read a post on a forum lately, the chap was asking why he couldn't get good sounding claps out of his U87... really sad. Then I talk to people who ask how I got great sounding bass lines, and I reply, with a simple D.I, while they are struggling with a £4k analog front end... Real stories. Real sad.

One last thing, I this sort of project could happen again, I would try to bring some producers in, and I think the best way is to allow more people to participate, so we can bring the price down for everyone, of course, that means that there would be less recorded material per client, and the key is to compile the guide track and score inadvance.

Yes, I would love to hear more of this project, especially the raw takes, to get an idea.

Ps: and of course, you the engineer would get paid.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

bump, anyone want to do something like this again?
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

This was a good idea, but I don't know if $50 per track is realistic.

String players typically need direction, which means that you usually need to put music in front of them. Someone needs to write the parts out. The arranger should get payed too.

Anyways cheers to Storyville for putting it together.

Sent from my Droid

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search