The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Real Violin on tracks
Old 15th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
No.
Stink.
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post
Stink.
Sorry. And my preferred cellist moved to New Orleans. I am sad.

Anyways,

To all who are participating - I've sent out a few emails already, will be sending out the rest later this evening. If you do not receive and email from me by the end of today confirming the details of your project PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me an email. If you receive the email and any information is incorrect PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me an email.

Also - if anyone in Philly wants to grab an 8 hour block, from 3pm-11pm, or 4pm-12am let me know. I'm starting the string session at 9am, and expecting it to go 1pm-2pm. Half a day is already paid for, so, there's a full days worth of time left at half a day's rate. This way, I can make some moneys heh
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

Real Violin on tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville
Sorry. And my preferred cellist moved to New Orleans. I am sad.
hello.

Hobson

Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobson View Post
hello.

Hobson

Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
Cool. I'll check your website.
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Just finishing up Pete's stuff for Real Strings. Who's stuff should I work on next?
Old 21st January 2011
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just finishing up Pete's stuff for Real Strings. Who's stuff should I work on next?
Pick me!
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

I don't think it matters...Whatever you feel like doing. Wish I was there...I love studio sessions.
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Ok - so it's going to take me a little time to sort through everything. But I'll be going as quickly as I can.

One note I can say for future endeavors - the biggest obstacle in the session was getting minute changes. If a two measure phrase repeats, but has one different note, that's more difficult than two completely different phrases.

Also - I had everyone pay in advance EXCEPT one person for this project. Only one person backed out two days before the session. Guess who? Yep. Not that it would be different otherwise, but payment in advance is important.

Things that helped: Notation! And having separate tracks so the violinist could just play to the bass and drums, or, isolate the string part to hear the articulations clearly.
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok - so it's going to take me a little time to sort through everything. But I'll be going as quickly as I can.

One note I can say for future endeavors - the biggest obstacle in the session was getting minute changes. If a two measure phrase repeats, but has one different note, that's more difficult than two completely different phrases.

Also - I had everyone pay in advance EXCEPT one person for this project. Only one person backed out two days before the session. Guess who? Yep. Not that it would be different otherwise, but payment in advance is important.

Things that helped: Notation! And having separate tracks so the violinist could just play to the bass and drums, or, isolate the string part to hear the articulations clearly.
Thanks for the update and review. thumbsup I hope it was more fun than work.
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

i'd love to hear some snippets of the work when ready if possible from anyone who participated, just to get an idea of what's going on stylistically. might be interested if there's second round in the future.
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:

great stuff...i'll also add to the future considerations convo soon....thanks for initiating what could possibly open up all kinds of possibilities...good man, thou art
Old 22nd January 2011
KT1
Lives for gear

Real Violin on tracks

Story I'll share some of my work with them after it's all said and done.
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Hey, who provided the notation and did you just print that from your DAW or what? Love to get some info on this...

I'll definately share once I get a chance to work with what's been tracked. Dying to hear it...but don't kill yourself on it.
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I think maybe the rest of the participants could cover the cost of the one who ducked out...

Personally if i ever get a chance to buy Story a drink i'm gonna seriously help him sink a few pints of Guinness...

Hope it wasn't too stressful and that you don't regret having thought the idea up!

Really cool thing you did... the positive side of GS personified and the net in general.. creative connection!

Respect.

Zz.
Old 23rd January 2011
Quote:

Damn, I hope it wasn't me

I wanted some violin but I didn't have time to write a part for it. And then I got brought in a session, and JR Rotem doesn't need violins heh

Are you going to do a new session?
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agzilla View Post
I think maybe the rest of the participants could cover the cost of the one who ducked out...

Personally if i ever get a chance to buy Story a drink i'm gonna seriously help him sink a few pints of Guinness...

Hope it wasn't too stressful and that you don't regret having thought the idea up!

Really cool thing you did... the positive side of GS personified and the net in general.. creative connection!

Respect.

Zz.
I'm not gonna lie - it was a little stressful. Bouncing around from track to track is a weird way of doing things. However, I don't regret the idea. I think now that I have a better understanding of how it works I can implement the ideas in the future - or assist whomever engineers the next one with the administrative side of things.

I have a good number of clients/friends in the UK, and a couple of people talking about putting together a Europe tour - so maybe I'll be taking you up on that beer

What I'd like to see is as I get the tracks out to people, they come back on to this thread and post up how they felt the results turned out, maybe with a little snippet of string tracks mixed in with their beat.

I found the results to be pretty interesting. The U67 worked really well as a close capture - I ended up with it VERY close to the violin at times. The KM184 was good for a further capture. I used that for the ensemble stuff. The Coles 4038 sounded really good when the positioning was exactly right, but since the violinist kept coming back and forth from the control room it ended up being too much trouble to keep re-positioning it.

@Chris - no, it wasn't you. We talked like a month ago about it. When the conversation dropped off I figured you weren't grabbing this one. Actually, the reason the one guy backed out wasn't his fault either - he was working through a label and the label pulled the plug on the song last minute. I feel for him - dealing with management is really frustrating and can take the fun out of making music.

Anyway, enough of my yappin', time for me to get some more work done.
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Also - I had everyone pay in advance EXCEPT one person for this project.
Sorry man.. It wasn't my call. You know about all of the BS politics that I am in the middle of with this damn label. However, I will pay you out of my own pocket for the missed slot. Email me your paypal account or I can send you a check or something.
Old 23rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Hill View Post
Sorry man.. It wasn't my call. You know about all of the BS politics that I am in the middle of with this damn label. However, I will pay you out of my own pocket for the missed slot. Email me your paypal account or I can send you a check or something.
That's really classy right there thumbsup
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Hill View Post
First, I wasn't about to name names - I brought that up to illustrate the point that paying upfront is necessary for this to work. Not to call you out.

Second, I'm aware of how rough working with a label can be, I had a hunch something would go wrong and I had it covered. No harm, no foul. And it's totally not your fault - if it was just you I would have been paid in full well ahead of time. I remember back in the days before you had a label situation heh. And if those other joints that I heard don't come out - just put em out there yourself cause it's great stuff!

Third, if all else failed - a very generous fellow GS guy offered to sponsor the session. Again, I won't put peoples names out there, but he's welcome to step up.

Anyway, Agzilla - do you have Pro Tools. I have yours organized and on deck and it would be great to just send the session.
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface View Post
Hey, who provided the notation and did you just print that from your DAW or what? Love to get some info on this...

I'll definately share once I get a chance to work with what's been tracked. Dying to hear it...but don't kill yourself on it.
Pete from Real Strings provided notation in a pdf format.
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Sorry Story, working in Logic.. but send the raw audio if you like n i'll work it out.. thanx man.. email me if any problem, really looking forward to hearing this!

Zz.
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry Story, working in Logic.. but send the raw audio if you like n i'll work it out.. thanx man.. email me if any problem, really looking forward to hearing this!

Zz.
Cool, I got you. There'll just be long moments of silence in the audio clips before the string player is actually playing.
Old 23rd January 2011
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
First, I wasn't about to name names - I brought that up to illustrate the point that paying upfront is necessary for this to work. Not to call you out.

Second, I'm aware of how rough working with a label can be, I had a hunch something would go wrong and I had it covered. No harm, no foul. And it's totally not your fault - if it was just you I would have been paid in full well ahead of time. I remember back in the days before you had a label situation heh. And if those other joints that I heard don't come out - just put em out there yourself cause it's great stuff!

Third, if all else failed - a very generous fellow GS guy offered to sponsor the session. Again, I won't put peoples names out there, but he's welcome to step up.

Anyway, Agzilla - do you have Pro Tools. I have yours organized and on deck and it would be great to just send the session.

Consider the missing slot covered!
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Nobody's paying me for the slot. Period. If anyone is feeling like paying me for anything, hire me to record or mix something. Outside of that this session worked for me - I got my violin stuff done at a fraction of the price it would have cost me by myself.
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Story,

Just got the files, dropped 'em back into song and it's great, sounding really good!!
Brilliant job, nice recording, nice playing.... thank you so much for this..

A man amongst men.

I've emailed you anyway.... but just wanted it known, one hundred percent happy here!!!!

Respect everytime..

Zz.
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

^Now I'm super excited to hear what we got! I can hardly contain myself. heh
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface View Post
^Now I'm super excited to hear what we got! I can hardly contain myself. heh
makes 2 of us heh
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Hey guys. Just wanted to apologize that I haven't gotten most of the tracks out. I've been working a lot this week - and for whatever reason my internet connection is being cantankerous with uploads and downloads. But fear not!

FYI - I've been so busy, I haven't even collected the $50 the Subaltern western unioned me like three weeks ago.
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Well just to thank Story one more time here's the track i'm working on with the violins as recorded as a result of this thread...

I wrote the bits with a softsynth string preset and they layered 'em up with the live violin x4, I also had someone else here do the lower cello lines and viola bit but in case anyone is interested who took part in this thread and sharing exercise i thought i'd post it in progress to be checked out..

Thanx one final time Story... really cool thing you did for everyone...

Respect.

Zzilla..
Attached Files

FUNKEY MONEY FULL VERS v2.mp3 (5.72 MB, 78 views)

Old 29th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well just to thank Story one more time here's the track i'm working on with the violins as recorded as a result of this thread...

I wrote the bits with a softsynth string preset and they layered 'em up with the live violin x4, I also had someone else here do the lower cello lines and viola bit but in case anyone is interested who took part in this thread and sharing exercise i thought i'd post it in progress to be checked out..

Thanx one final time Story... really cool thing you did for everyone...

Respect.

Zzilla..
wow...niiiiiicethumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

did you layer chopped up samples from elsewhere with live and softsynth strings or chopped up softsynths and live samples? i'm liking this a lot

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search