The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Real Violin on tracks
Old 4th January 2011
  #31
Lives for gear
 
Stoneface's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingstuff View Post

I am hoping this goes off smoothly and all parties come away happy... So I can encourage Storyville to run a similar session with a drummer/rapper/chipmunk etc.
Agreed! It would be nice if this became a trend from many of the Pro studios/engineers who post here and truly have the access to great session players. All my tracks are missing that genuine analog chipmunk sound...
Old 5th January 2011
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingstuff View Post
So I can encourage Storyville to run a similar session with a drummer/rapper/chipmunk etc.
Session Chipmunk? I could try contacting Alvin or Theodore's management.


I just made a stupid joke.....
Old 5th January 2011
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface View Post
Agreed! It would be nice if this became a trend from many of the Pro studios/engineers who post here and truly have the access to great session players. All my tracks are missing that genuine analog chipmunk sound...
Better joke. You win.
Old 5th January 2011
  #34
Gear Guru
 
rickrock305's Avatar
 

I could definitely provide this type of service if there was that much interest in it. I don't know many string players. But horns, guitars, drums, bass, etc., can all be accomplished.
Old 5th January 2011
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Stoneface's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Better joke. You win.
thumbsup
Old 5th January 2011
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Stoneface's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
I could definitely provide this type of service if there was that much interest in it. I don't know many string players. But horns, guitars, drums, bass, etc., can all be accomplished.
I'm sure the interest is there...I'm in all the way if prices are right. Not sure how to organize all of this...maybe a poll or something for starters...I don't know for sure. I personally am willing to help and/or participate anyway I can when it comes to live. Either way, I think it sounds like a win-win for everyone involved.
Old 6th January 2011
  #37
Gear Nut
 
fatcatstrings's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
I do know many instrumentalists - including some very talented multi-instrumentalists - but I'd like to see how this first go pans out - unless there's like a major demand for another instrument right now.
following this thread with GREAT interest...
... please tell me she doesn't play viola and cello too...
Old 6th January 2011
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatstrings View Post
following this thread with GREAT interest...
... please tell me she doesn't play viola and cello too...
Ha! No, strictly violin. My preferred violist lives in Arizona now - and my go to cellist moved to New Orleans. Sad am I....

However, I am friends with a dude who used to play keys for Lauryn Hill. He's main instrument is bass - but he also rocks the hell out of the keys, and he's a dope drummer, particularly for Hip Hop. He plays guitar competently as well. I was talking to him last night, I ran into him at a gig. He likes the idea of this - but he's a little more expensive, so I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Old 7th January 2011
  #39
Real Violin on tracks

Just to throw this out too, I'm in Memphis, TN. Alot of the Stax, Hi, American, Royal, Ardent, TMI, etc players are still here in Memphis and their kids(me being one) aren't too bad either. About any instrument someone plays here. From accordian to xylophone!!!
And we have the same exact gear from back then too...

So if ya want Al Green's gutiarist or drummer done. Jerry lee Lewis's bassist, done. I'm friends with them.
Old 7th January 2011
  #40
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoLeoLeo View Post
Just to throw this out too, I'm in Memphis, TN. Alot of the Stax, Hi, American, Royal, Ardent, TMI, etc players are still here in Memphis and their kids(me being one) aren't too bad either. About any instrument someone plays here. From accordian to xylophone!!!
And we have the same exact gear from back then too...

So if ya want Al Green's gutiarist or drummer done. Jerry lee Lewis's bassist, done. I'm friends with them.
WOW, Leox3!!!!!!!!!! Storyville, you're a genius with the initial idea...
Old 7th January 2011
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoLeoLeo View Post
Just to throw this out too, I'm in Memphis, TN. Alot of the Stax, Hi, American, Royal, Ardent, TMI, etc players are still here in Memphis and their kids(me being one) aren't too bad either. About any instrument someone plays here. From accordian to xylophone!!!
And we have the same exact gear from back then too...

So if ya want Al Green's gutiarist or drummer done. Jerry lee Lewis's bassist, done. I'm friends with them.
Nice!

Well - I need 3 more people to throw down. I'll guinea pig this idea, and then maybe we could get a rotation going.

Believe it or not, I actually have a piece that I may want accordian for!
Old 7th January 2011
  #42
Gear Guru
 
rickrock305's Avatar
 

Real Violin on tracks

One could get quite the variety of sounds outta this thread. The Stax guys, storyvilles dudes, and I got the Miami Sound Machine guys, Storch's guitar player, a drummer who can rock anything, and some other really talented dudes on keys and bass an what not.

Would be pretty cool to do a track with a couple musicians from each camp and see what comes out
Old 7th January 2011
  #43
Real Violin on tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305
I got the Miami Sound Machine guys
The rhythm is gonna get ya!!!!! Ha! Way cool!!! We need a percussion session pool for sure!!!! Well when I start working on my album I'll be needing some!
Old 7th January 2011
  #44
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
I got the Miami Sound Machine guys
as in horn section (as well)??? i'd definitely be down for any full horn section type deal
Old 7th January 2011
  #45
Gear Guru
 
rickrock305's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaltern View Post
as in horn section (as well)??? i'd definitely be down for any full horn section type deal


Yea, I could get them. Chances are its not gonna be cheap to do a whole horn section.
Old 7th January 2011
  #46
Gear Guru
 
rickrock305's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoLeoLeo View Post
The rhythm is gonna get ya!!!!! Ha! Way cool!!! We need a percussion session pool for sure!!!! Well when I start working on my album I'll be needing some!
Yea, the guy that produced a bunch of that stuff is a good friend.

And I know some MEAN percussion cats!
Old 7th January 2011
  #47
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
Yea, I could get them. Chances are its not gonna be cheap to do a whole horn section.
A two peice brass would be great! I think Brass is one tough set of instruments to sample well. Any live phrases etc to throw down into the sampler - I'm in.

Regards
Old 12th January 2011
  #48
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
Just 2 more slots to fill - any takers?

Side note: turns out the violinist is also an excellent operatic/classical vocalist. Low alto to soprano range.
Old 12th January 2011
  #49
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Just 2 more slots to fill - any takers?

Side note: turns out the violinist is also an excellent operatic/classical vocalist. Low alto to soprano range.
Good timing with the thread on H.A.M - perhaps a couple of inspired cats may want to jump on the vocal thumbsup.
Old 12th January 2011
  #50
Real Violin on tracks

I'd imagine some programmer/producer could use some string attacks. The 1st strike of the bow against the string is one thing that keyboards just haven't quite got right yet...
Old 12th January 2011
  #51
Gear Maniac
 
bonzotracker's Avatar
 

or violin runs like the intro to a man's world YouTube - It's A Man's Man's Man's World - James Brown (Lyrics)

any brass i am down for sample molding isnt really cutting it
Old 12th January 2011
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Stoneface's Avatar
 

Quote:
Just 2 more slots to fill - any takers?

Side note: turns out the violinist is also an excellent operatic/classical vocalist. Low alto to soprano range.
Come on guys...$50?!? This is a steal. Hey, I'd be interested in some vocals as well. Very nice!
Old 12th January 2011
  #53
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface View Post
Come on guys...$50?!? This is a steal. Hey, I'd be interested in some vocals as well. Very nice!
This will happen I assure you . For those that are taking slots good job!
Old 12th January 2011
  #54
Lives for gear
 
ncoak's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzotracker View Post
or violin runs like the intro to a man's world YouTube - It's A Man's Man's Man's World - James Brown (Lyrics)
you'll need more than one string player for that sort of thing.
Old 14th January 2011
  #55
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
Slots are now filled! I will be sorting through everyone's music and drawing up a schedule for the session. So please please please, send your music and what you want done to me as soon as you can.

Sometime next week, I will send everyone an email detailing their project. This will include what they are asking, and how I intend to approach the recording (mic choice, placement, etc). There's a lot of stuff to organize - this measure is just to triple check that I have the music and that I have proper instructions for what is needed.

I have booked the studio for Jan. 21st, half a day, and sent half of her pay.

I will take Sat. the 22nd, and Sun. 23rd to organize all the files are start returning them - so if you don't hear from me on the 21st, 22nd, or 23rd - don't panic.

For people who are asking for improvisation or general riffs - everyone will be getting something different - based on whatever specifications are provided. However, I will also provide the email/GS PM info for others who have asked for improvised riffs because you may want to trade samples - just another way to network and get more bang for your buck --- Just be aware that the recordings I send to one member belongs exclusively to that person - as in LEGALLY.

Speaking of legally - this is being treated as a work for hire. All I ask is that both I and the violinist are appropriately credited if anything is published. Otherwise, this stuff is exclusively the property of the individual who payed.

Thanks all - I'm glad this is working out.

After the recording, I encourage A) Feedback - because this is a project at it's inception, any constructive criticism (what worked, what could have been better) is appreciated. I'll also provide my own feedback as well (so far so good). (B) Ideas on making this "Instrument Group Buy" a continued thing.
Old 15th January 2011
  #56
Lives for gear
 
Dayl's Avatar
Brilliant idea.

Does she play cello?
Old 15th January 2011
  #57
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post
Brilliant idea.

Does she play cello?
No.
Old 15th January 2011
  #58
Lives for gear
 
Stoneface's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Slots are now filled! I will be sorting through everyone's music and drawing up a schedule for the session. So please please please, send your music and what you want done to me as soon as you can.

Sometime next week, I will send everyone an email detailing their project. This will include what they are asking, and how I intend to approach the recording (mic choice, placement, etc). There's a lot of stuff to organize - this measure is just to triple check that I have the music and that I have proper instructions for what is needed.

I have booked the studio for Jan. 21st, half a day, and sent half of her pay.

I will take Sat. the 22nd, and Sun. 23rd to organize all the files are start returning them - so if you don't hear from me on the 21st, 22nd, or 23rd - don't panic.

For people who are asking for improvisation or general riffs - everyone will be getting something different - based on whatever specifications are provided. However, I will also provide the email/GS PM info for others who have asked for improvised riffs because you may want to trade samples - just another way to network and get more bang for your buck --- Just be aware that the recordings I send to one member belongs exclusively to that person - as in LEGALLY.

Speaking of legally - this is being treated as a work for hire. All I ask is that both I and the violinist are appropriately credited if anything is published. Otherwise, this stuff is exclusively the property of the individual who payed.

Thanks all - I'm glad this is working out.

After the recording, I encourage A) Feedback - because this is a project at it's inception, any constructive criticism (what worked, what could have been better) is appreciated. I'll also provide my own feedback as well (so far so good). (B) Ideas on making this "Instrument Group Buy" a continued thing.
I can't wait to see what comes out of it. The best part about a first session with someone is that it's soon over and only get's smoother and more productive for each session thereafter. Well...in theory I suppose.

The possibility of trading samples is a great idea too. I'll be sure to update and include any ideas of how we can keep this going or at least available.

For now I can say, Storyville is a stand up guy and his communication throughout has been A+. I'm sure managing all these different tracks, people, your own production needs and pulling together the actual session, is a tall order. Extra thanks for carrying the lions share. You the man!
Old 15th January 2011
  #59
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface View Post
I can't wait to see what comes out of it. The best part about a first session with someone is that it's soon over and only get's smoother and more productive for each session thereafter. Well...in theory I suppose.

The possibility of trading samples is a great idea too. I'll be sure to update and include any ideas of how we can keep this going or at least available.

For now I can say, Storyville is a stand up guy and his communication throughout has been A+. I'm sure managing all these different tracks, people, your own production needs and pulling together the actual session, is a tall order. Extra thanks for carrying the lions share. You the man!
Agreed - look forward to hearing the result!
Old 15th January 2011
  #60
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface View Post
For now I can say, Storyville is a stand up guy and his communication throughout has been A+. I'm sure managing all these different tracks, people, your own production needs and pulling together the actual session, is a tall order. Extra thanks for carrying the lions share. You the man!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Deleted User / Music Computers
4
mat1 / So much gear, so little time
5
markr041 / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
2
Voodoosound / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
5
Maison77 / So much gear, so little time
5

Forum Jump
Forum Jump