The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
what do you think about arturia synths? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

what do you think about arturia synths?

Was at my local music store and saw the arturia bundle for 399. I think its the v collection. Thx
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

everything in that bundle is fantastic, some of the best virtual analogs out there. for what you're actually getting, it's definitely worth it, imo.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

The Arturia stuff is good. The only thing that may be a little 'unnerving' about them is that they can tend to sound the same after a while. They'll really shine though if you run them OTB through a variety of preamps or harmonics saturators, or even some UAD-2 Plugs. ITB they kind of sound almost like they are the same synth.

Despite all of that though they are really good emulations and their reputation speaks for itself. I'd go for it. In fact, I think I am going to do it right now !!! See ! Look at that, I've convinced myself !

- KS
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Thx.... k stacks, I have omni, trillian, kore 2, komplete 7, nexus, dim pro, rapture and others. I'm guessing the arturia covers my vintage needs.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Not really a fan of the virtual synths, with a few exceptions. Check out some of the sampled stuff if you want to go authentic vintage. Only downside with sampled is that you can't edit as much.

UltimateSoundBank - UVI Soundcard #02 Synths Anthology
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Just to warn you they cpu heavy, so you need some ram to run thos plugins. The presets tend to sound the same, but if you start messin witht the knobs and filters you can get some crazy sounds form those synths.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I did try the arturia stuff a few years ago and wasnt blown away, at the time GMedia (or GForce) products sounded better IMO, actually for a "vintage" sounding syth itb I'd look at admiral quality poly ana, most convincing stuff I've heard so far, there's uhe ACE too (more modern but for fat synth basses it's perfect)
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahuel View Post
I did try the arturia stuff a few years ago and wasnt blown away, at the time GMedia (or GForce) products sounded better IMO, actually for a "vintage" sounding syth itb I'd look at admiral quality poly ana, most convincing stuff I've heard so far, there's uhe ACE too (more modern but for fat synth basses it's perfect)
Yup artruia does tend to sound same same after a while.. then I discovered Minimonsta and was blown away.. but then... polyanna thumbsup best VA VSTi out there imo.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Thx guys... Im a look into the polyanna. Instead of the bundle maybe analogue factory.,
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I think the arturia collection sounds good for what it is.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

dont get it if your host is 64bit!!! i tried to jbridge them and they still run with lots of bugs. Almost unusable. Just letting you know
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopre View Post
Thx.... k stacks, I have omni, trillian, kore 2, komplete 7, nexus, dim pro, rapture and others. I'm guessing the arturia covers my vintage needs.
In the software realm, you really (and I do mean, REALLY !!!) have to 'keep an open ear' and listen through different VI demos.

If you're really trying to cover your vintage needs, it might help to do the following:

1) Actually hear and mess around with actual vintage hardware stuff: (Warning - Once you do, you may find yourself sliding down the 'Rabbit Hole' of incredible sounding, almost euphoric tones that will but you in a production dilemma and make your quest to cover your creative needs a little more complex and convoluted !) - But you really should have a listen, so you can kinda get that out of the way and actually know what 'Vintage' really is, if you haven't done so already.

2) Make a pragmatic decision as to whether to build a hybrid system of hardware/software synths or just focus ITB.

3a) Then listen to some hot soft-synth/VI emulations and some of the Hybrid VI's that are not necessarily DIRECT emulations. If I had to pick a few that off of the top of my head, they would be put into two basic categories - A) Nice emulation, and B) Whoa, that's pretty close. A few of the ones that stand out to me are:

A) Nice Emulations:

1) Korg Legacy Edition
2) NI's FM7 (& FM8)
3) NI's Pro53
4) Arturia's V- Collection

B) Whoa, That's Pretty Close:

1) U-HE A.C.E., Zebra 2.5, Filterscape
2) Fabfilter Twin 2
3) XILS Labs PolyKB II, XILS 3
4) Gforce Minimonsta

*** AS A SIDE NOTE: Also, don't forget that there are some excellent sample libraries of actual vintage gear that are very good. Of these, the GoldBaby stuff comes to mind but there are a ton load of others that are not overly compressed or effected, thick and rich, sit well in a mix and are both malleable and totally useable.

3b) When I say, "Whoa, That's Pretty Close", I'm referring more to the sonic texture of the VI as opposed to the actual parameter replications, if you know what I mean. If you listened to all of the actual hardware components corresponding to the VI's above and then listened to the above VI equivalents, you'd probably be able to identify which VI's corresponded to which hardware synth and say "yeah, that kinda sounds like that synth". Each of those companies did a nice enough job at emulating the primary characteristics of the synth most closely related to their VI.

However, there are certain VI's that are just 'Virtually There' so to speak in a way that in some respects sound better than their closest hardware equivalent.

4) Then the last task is to match up the right signal path for the VI of your choice. This is where you take the VI of your choice and kind of begin the process of sorta re-manufacturing or assembling hardware components to your particular VI, which at this point begins to serve as more of an 'Oscillator' for your proceeding signal chain than an actual VI, if you feel what I'm saying.

Part of the reason why VI's tend to sound similar is of course, the signal path that the sound from the VI passes through. If a Mini Moog, Prophet 5, CS80, and a Waldorf Wave all were put inside of a Roland D-550 and sent through the D-550's signal path well.................we'd have some problems ! So the signal path of each of your VI's is an important 'last step' to allowing the VI of your choice to sit in a mix with more distinction as it's own unique sounding 'synth'.

Hence, once you've picked out the VI of your choice, it might be good for you to think about a few things: What Pre would be best to send this VI through ? Should I run it OTB through a good harmonically saturated DI, or other harmonics saturators ? What about a hardware compressor ? Should I use a cheaper, lower grade cable to 'dirty up' a particular VI on it's way out of my 'very neutral' sounding Audio Interface/Converter and then clean up the signal coming back ITB ? Would an analog filter do this VI some justice, and if so which one ? After running everything through it's selected signal paths, should I consider tracking each VI OTB to analog tape and back ITB ? What type of Plug-ins will best make this VI Shine on route back ITB ? The list can go on and on, of course but I think you get the idea.

That's why I mentioned before that the Arturia stuff is actually good in and of itself, but it would just need a little more help in the "how do I get this Arturia stuff to sound like I just picked up a bunch of vintage hardware synths" department than some of the other VI's listed above.

So, if you are really looking to cover your vintage needs there are some really high-end ways to approach it and there is just the simple "find the hot enough VI" approach. The advantages of the high-end approach are pretty obvious and would also bless some of the more modern VI's; the Spectrasonics, Native Instruments and Roland/Cakewalk stuff that you already have. Of course, picking up a few vintage synths couldn't hurt either but if you really have a ton load of work, the ITB VI/Hardware augment and supplement approach will be super efficient and allow you to benefit from that 'best of both worlds' scenario of using VI's in a great, diversified and very powerful signal chain.

Hope this helps.

- KS
Old 4th February 2011
Here for the gear

V collection

Hi,

I am definitely interested in this synth collection. I am wondering how much my new iMac can handle with logic and other plug ins running? (Dual core 3.06, 4 gigs of ram) Any input?

Thanks,
Ben
Old 4th February 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj00 View Post
Hi,

I am definitely interested in this synth collection. I am wondering how much my new iMac can handle with logic and other plug ins running? (Dual core 3.06, 4 gigs of ram) Any input?

Thanks,
Ben
I got jupiter 8v from the collection and it runs pretty bad. I read from a few people that said arturia is pretty bad with their customer service and fixing bugs. At least that's with their RTAS (I don't know vst).
Old 22nd February 2011
Gear Maniac

Ok so I just got the One, choice of Analog Factory, ARP 2600, Brass 2, CS80V2, Jupiter 8, Minimoog, Moog Modular, Prophet 5. I can keep two. I am definitely going to keep Minimoog. What else should I be looking at?

I am on a32 bit mac and have ACE, Korg Legacy collection, Massive, Operator Analog, Toxic Biohazard. I want to make tech house. I am not too experienced at modular so that might rule out MMod, I find ACE complicated enough.
Old 4th March 2011
Here for the gear

I've got arturia's minimoog, jupiter, and prophet running on a 64bit system with 4 gigs of ram.. works great for me
Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear

They might sound a bit the same ...

but if you take the CS80 and compare to the Prophet V emulation, they are very different in sound character.

I would say: Prophet V, CS 80 and Minimoog are THE Arturia synths for me.

The rest I can skip. I think the samish sound character comes through the filter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search