The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best overall software instrument for Pro Tools? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Best overall software instrument for Pro Tools?

I just have no idea where to start, Im stuck using garageband instruments and bringing them into pro tools. Im looking for something legitimate that I can directly use in pro tools. So, whats the best universal software out there that would be a good starting point?
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

There are lots of options but Reason is a good start.
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear Head

i was also wondering this. i have reason + fruity loops rewired in PT & a few NI plugs, battery & absynth. But are there any other big software companies like native instruments?
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I work out the box mostly but Reason is pretty amazing. All the drum machines, samplers, synths, and effects your CPU can handle. Stock samples are just aite (allright) but the power is in the NNXT sampler and the Thor synth. Some decent effects as well.

If I had some extra schratch I might throw down for some Ableton Live as well. Different methods are always fun. Unlike Reason, supports outside plugins. Seems great for performance. I'm interested in the Serato Scratch
Ableton combo.
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Please use the search! There is a massive amount of threads about (VST) software instruments.
And if you start a new thread, please consider giving some information that helps people to give you meaningful advice (e.g. a rough price range etc.).
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Me personally

I've found the protools intruments to be really damn good and hold its own weight. But like many, reason too me is a HUGE ASS sound module.

Example.....
Shouts too Fooloff for the cuts.
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killah_Trakz View Post
I've found the protools intruments to be really damn good and hold its own weight. But like many, reason too me is a HUGE ASS sound module.
+1 on that

The PT expansion pack is pretty sweet, i don't really need much else.

There's just soooooo many options, some more specifics into what you want would help. Synths, Orchestral, Drums, what exactly?

Reason is hard to argue with though, especially for the price you really can't go wrong and you get a bit of everything.
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

If I could only have one it would be Omnisphere.
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

+1 Killah...It's funny you say that...I was thinking the same thing just the other day about the PT stuff. I'm loving Vacuum right now...and Xpand2 also has tons of usable presets and it's super easy to create user multi's.

Komplete 7 is my other go to synth bundle...
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear Addict

The stock PT stuff like Xpand 2 is great. thats mostly what I use. As for third party stuff, i would definitely recommend NI Komplete. It will complement the PT rig very well. Outside of that, depending on what your needs are I would say Ultra Analog if youre looking for a synth or Korg Digital Edition M1 if youre looking for a rompler. Hope that helps.
Old 29th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod View Post
The sounds that come with Pro Tools Now are crazy for production!!!!
Seriously Kontact is great but... If you can't get a serious production going with the stock sounds in Pro Tools then you need more help than you think.

Advice
Every sound you need and the ways to import the sounds you need (samples) is in Pro Tools fam

Not all of us want to use the same sounds as everyone else..
Old 17th October 2011
Gear Head

Vaacuum>
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

@ OP ..What version do you have?
These guys are right. Pt 8 and 9 have pretty good instruments included, the few that they have. They also have an add on for.... Roughly $1k. That finally gives you a sampler.

Thats awfully generous of AVID/Digidesign. For only $1300 you can get a full fledged daw with all the "add ons" that most daws come with for roughly a quarter of the cost.
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

i like kontakt.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search