The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Home Studio,How powerful do i need my computer? DAW Software
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Home Studio,How powerful do i need my computer?

Hey guys,im about to purchase a Mac Pro real soon but i dont know what i exactly need to upgrade it to so i dont have any problems.Of course i will be running Pro Tools,tons of plug-ins,saving,recording,mixing ,mastering here.Ill have my hardware modules,keyboards,etc so i need a nice Mac Pro.Whats your advice or what should i do to Mac Pro so i dont have any problems,mind you,i record with my engineer currently and he has a old G5 and he runs Pro Tools,a lot of plug ins,hardware,software,and has ext hard drives all over the place and his G5 always stops while we are recording and he says all the time,man i need a new Mac Pro with quad core this,quad core that so help me out,give me some advice on tricking this Mac Pro out,i got about $3500.00 ready!!!!
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Well I don't have a Mac Pro but my Macbook Pro with i5 processor and 4Gb of ram handles 30 tracks on Logic Studio full of effects etc with little issue so basically I doubt you'll have many problems regardless of the Macpro you get. For the money you have your still getting a reasonably entry level/Intermediate Macpro (considering you can spend about $25000 on them)

I don't forsee many problems with any. Loads of Ram (8Gb) and the processor that comes with (is it dual i7?) and you'll be flying
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

There are a ton of threads in the music computers forums about Mac pro's and upgrading them. You may have better luck over there.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

Preciate it guys,ill dig a little deeper,all i know is i need a fast and powerful computer for $3500.It isnt major i know you could probably put $7000+ in a computer but thats all i got right now to work with,let me search some more specs and details and ill ask you guys some more questions lol..Thanks again
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

For $3500 you can get all the power you need. There is a thing as too much these days. With processor speeds....sh*t....most of it's overkill. That being said...yeah...check out the music computers section. Lots of info on the Mac Pro. Kinda like asking what's the best compressor in "So much gear, so little time." heh
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search