The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Official NI Maschine Review - Will my MPC survive? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

I think the nail in the coffin will be Maschine 2.0. I'm just using 2.0 as a reference point but a new controller that is both software and true stand alone like the MPC. That's really the only way to kill the argument and really set maschine in a class all it's own. Whoever does it first will win. AKAI or NI?? Dosen't matter to me...as long as it gets done.

Given my favorite MPC is the 2500, I'd like to see something along those lines with the same seamless software integration but be able to disconnect from the CPU and sequence internally.

All I need is...

Internal HD
USB
At least 128MB of ram 256 or higher would be great.
and seamless software integration

Give me that...and I'll never switch.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface View Post
I think the nail in the coffin will be Maschine 2.0.
Maschine 1.6 is awesome itself. I've been beta testing for a while now. But yea 2.0 will be great itself.

I can't believe folks are still crying, bitching, and moaning over these two platforms. Just use what you want. Stop worrying about the next man. I swear some people are insecure about their gear choices and need to be validated. That goes for people on both sides.

I still have the sp, the s950, etc. It's just another tool in the arsenal. And it is fun. What happened to just having fun? Stop being chumps.

If it doesn't work for you, move on. Just like a female.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

LOL I guess I just wonder why folks keep worrying about whether the MPC will survive? Its like folks have stock in Numark/Akai or something lol.

I'm waiting for someone to really review some of the more interesting and creative features inside of Maschine. The internal routing matrix inside maschine is insanity for example...theres a lot in there that doesn't get explored nor reviewed in most reviews. I guess that means most of us are just looking for something that does what we are already able to do, but quicker and more conveniently.....
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear
if the vst support is well implemented its pretty much a wrap at 1.6
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by F Major View Post
LOL I guess I just wonder why folks keep worrying about whether the MPC will survive? Its like folks have stock in Numark/Akai or something lol.

I'm waiting for someone to really review some of the more interesting and creative features inside of Maschine. The internal routing matrix inside maschine is insanity for example...theres a lot in there that doesn't get explored nor reviewed in most reviews.
So why don't you post a review then? Would love to hear more about the "Creative Features" inside Maschine.

Quote:
I guess that means most of us are just looking for something that does what we are already able to do, but quicker and more conveniently.....
Yup! Nothing more...nothing less. Ok...more is cool too! heh
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofreak View Post
@Jerome,

I'm an MPC 5000 user also and was just wondering if you think Akai are ever gonna update the software again?.

I've been waiting for ages, but the MPC 5000 still rocks regardless
I am still optimistic that OS 2 will receive a maintenance update as long as the 5K is being manufactured.

As far as the arguments for and against Maschine/MPCs...I really don't care either way. I will use the product that delivers what I need. I am primarily an MPC user, but I bought Maschine because it has the potential to do everything an MPC does without limitations of memory/CPU. The key word is "potential."

F Major talks about deeper functions in Maschine that no one talks about. But the truth is, there are reasons why they are not talked about. Maschine synth/sound shaping tools are not great. If you look at its Pitch, Filter, and Amp Envelopes as was as its LFOs...it comes no where near an MPC 4000 or 5000...or the MPC 2500/1000 with the JJ OS installed. That is why VST support is needed if NI won't improve Maschine in these areas. To me...its a business move. Why give away free what you can get consumers to buy. VST support will give NI users the ability to add Kontakt and Battery to beef up where Maschine lacks..for a price of course. The fact is..as a sampler, Maschine is probably NI's worst product.

*I am aware some will argue that it wasn't meant to rival those samplers as Maschine focuses on the seamless hardware/software integration...blah..blah....lol So I am looking for a company that will give me seamless hardware/software integration with a fully functional sampler...don't care whose name is on the product. Prosumers/consumers should keep putting pressure on these companies to deliver what we need/want and not what they think we need/want. OS 1.6 is a step in the right direction. Heck...the new Pro Tools (w/ADC) not locked to Avid hardware is a step in the right direction.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahrome View Post

The fact is..as a sampler, Maschine is probably NI's worst product.
All you do is complain about the sampler. heh It's a sampler...it's not rocket science. It does exactly what a sampler is supposed to do. SAMPLE! Maybe it's you...I don't know...just a thought.

Fortunately for me, my instrumentation is not based on jacking other peoples songs so for an originality tool...Maschine is on point for me. I guess for those that sample 90%+ of their material...maybe there are better avenues...I wouldn't know...I don't like sampling and rarely respect music from those that do.

At the end of the day, if it inspires you...roll with it. If not...sell it.

Problem solved...moving on.
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Maniac

@Jahrom.

I fully aware iof how these machines work but that's not the basis of my question.

I've looked at several threads across the web on the MPC (the 5000 in particular) and you do seem to follow a pattern as one person pointed out. You start these exchanges or threads and you prompt someone to list information and features only to compare it to an MPC and it's superiority in the area. You also present your as mediator between other users and the and the parent company in discussion. I've read many of your threads and it seems to be consistant across the web.

I'm a 2000xl and MV owner. I may go the Maschine route if 1.6 is what it claims. It just looks like with the MPC line a Numark afterthought, your platform has dissolved and you need another machine to promote to stay relevant.

I won't include the image on another forum or links to your threads but motives are simply not that of an average user I don't think it's necessarily malicious but it does raise some questions. The most important distinction I could find is that most neutral beta testers don't actively market against the competiton the while serving in that capacity. In reading your threads on the MV , much of the info you yourself listed is factually inaccurate given that you claimed to once owned the unit.

I won't berate the point. For my i'm a 2000xl and MV owner. Neither unit has ever made me a dime as I'm not a professional as many here may be. I also haven't made any money from my 360, PS3 or new TV - I don't use any of them as a professional either, but I enjoy using all of them .
Old 7th January 2011
mp3
Lives for gear

Not everyone who samples, samples other peoples' music. You're drawing a parallel that isn't necessarily there. When I create 100% original compositions, I do so by sampling (you know, as in plug my keyboard into my MPC or ASR)... A sampler that's no good at creative sample manipulation is no good for me.

I'd hate to be stuck in the box you're in.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Not everyone who samples, samples other peoples' music. You're drawing a parallel that isn't necessarily there. When I create 100% original compositions, I do so by sampling. You know, as in plug my keyboard into my MPC.

I'd hate to be stuck in the box you're in.
On the contrary...you mean the box I'm not stuck in. thumbsup But, you're right...no need to draw parallels...I'm just a hater! Everybody say hi to the bad guy...
Old 7th January 2011
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
On the contrary...you mean the box I'm not stuck in. thumbsup But, you're right...no need to draw parallels...I'm just a hater! Everybody say hi to the bad guy...
Well you're certainly a hater. Your words above prove that. And you have a nice superiority complex to boot.

Anyway the box I'm talking about is the one that limits you to thinking there's only one right way to do anything.

My last reply. Have fun.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

I'm cracking up that 'Jacking other peoples songs for originality' got dropped in a sampler thread. The statment in itself seems rather close minded and I'm not even much of a sample hound.

Funny.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

lol damn no samples? where do you get your drums from? You do Hip Hop right?
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Can everyone please effing chill?

- c
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Can everyone please effing chill?

- c
That depends..................do you sample? heh
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol damn no samples? where do you get your drums from? You do Hip Hop right?
Go back and read my post again.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post
That depends..................do you sample? heh
Ha ha ha ha ha!
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
All you do is complain about the sampler. heh It's a sampler...it's not rocket science. It does exactly what a sampler is supposed to do. SAMPLE! Maybe it's you...I don't know...just a thought.
I've had Maschine for quite a while and love it. The only thing I'm not crazy about the sampler is when you sample into Maschine it goes into one mono file instead of separate stereo channels. Not a big deal for some but if you'd like to separate the stereo channels you can't unless you sample out of Maschine which is pointless in regards to Maschine.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Fortunately for me, my instrumentation is not based on jacking other peoples songs so for an originality tool...Maschine is on point for me. I guess for those that sample 90%+ of their material...maybe there are better avenues...I wouldn't know...I don't like sampling and rarely respect music from those that do.
I read it again...

Its a pretty elitist statement about sampling bro. Also considering what Jahrome was actually talking about regarding synthesis and sampling abilities (Envelopes,LFOs,Filters etc), its pretty clear he isn't talking about just "jacking other people's songs". He's talking about the ability to create quality sample based instruments within a sampler. Its one thing to say you don't prefer sampling, but to "rarely respect music from others that do" is a bit out of touch in my opinion.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear
What sampling features are people missing? Like chop shop stuff? Or more the time stretch/normalize type things?
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

This may be gearslutz, but I think there is a problem when the gear is the hobby more than the actual music.

With all the options and resources we have today, people still find stuff to bitch about. All these timeless pieces were made with gear with the most basic of features, yet 'we' still find reasons to bitch instead of just making dope jams.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I read it again...

Its a pretty elitist statement about sampling bro. Also considering what Jahrome was actually talking about regarding synthesis and sampling abilities (Envelopes,LFOs,Filters etc), its pretty clear he isn't talking about just "jacking other people's songs". He's talking about the ability to create quality sample based instruments within a sampler. Its one thing to say you don't prefer sampling, but to "rarely respect music from others that do" is a bit out of touch in my opinion.
It is possible I've misunderstood his point...my opinions however remain unchanged. I can respect whatever music I choose. And if not respecting production where you sample a whole song, slap some drums behind it, rap on it and call it done, makes me "elitest" or "out of touch", then so be it. I doubt I'll lose any sleep over it.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Ha! you must have called for a Jihad shen the Grey album dropped then bro!

Pause for a minute. I it kinda sounds like you miss the point of sampling in hip hop? or are you strictly referring only to tracks where you grab and old track and put a beat under it.. add vox and call it a day?

Sounds limiting to me... damn... I found some amazing sounding one shot dirty Hammond samples from an old dusty Santana record the other day. With a little tuning, I can now play chords etc... you dont mean that sort of sampling though do you? not having a stab at you either brother.. just making sure we are on the same level.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Jesus, post #143 should be a stickie!

SO TRUE.

- c
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post
Ha! you must have called for a Jihad shen the Grey album dropped then bro!

Pause for a minute. I it kinda sounds like you miss the point of sampling in hip hop? or are you strictly referring only to tracks where you grab and old track and put a beat under it.. add vox and call it a day?

Sounds limiting to me... damn... I found some amazing sounding one shot dirty Hammond samples from an old dusty Santana record the other day. With a little tuning, I can now play chords etc... you dont mean that sort of sampling though do you? not having a stab at you either brother.. just making sure we are on the same level.
What is Hip-Hop? Anything with a sample...or anything with a rhyme? Hmmm...

The Grey Album??? I had to actually Google that to see what it was. heh Thought maybe it was a Jay-Z album I hadn't heard of.

Me personally one hittas are cool. Taking 2-4-8 BARS of a song and looping it. Naw bro....not feeling it. That's just me...it dosen't say a thing about that person...just that persons production.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
What is Hip-Hop? Anything with a sample...or anything with a rhyme? Hmmm...

The Grey Album??? I had to actually Google that to see what it was. heh Thought maybe it was a Jay-Z album I hadn't heard of.

Me personally one hittas are cool. Taking 2-4-8 BARS of a song and looping it. Naw bro....not feeling it. That's just me...it dosen't say a thing about that person...just that persons production.
Sweet as, I'm with you on that... and I'm way too wary of getting into the 'what is hip hop' thing.. that was a slip up on my part haha
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I read it again...

Thank you. I can't see how anyone got on the subject of "jacking other people's songs" from me talking about synthesis.

I know some of you are sick of the gear talk and want to hear music. No problem. So stay out of this thread and read another thread so we can get back to talking about what these musical tools have under the hood.

No one is claiming you can't make music with Maschine or any MPC. That would be silly. But if there are specific features that I want in these products, I will certainly make sure my voice is heard by providing feedback. I have wanted a product like Maschine for years. It is just missing some features that I have grown to love in the samplers that came before it (Including NI's Kontakt and Battery). OS 1.6 appears to reduce the gap....can't wait for the public beta since I don't have immediate access like F Major
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Nut

my 2 cents

i have to touch some of the things said at this topic...

i got a mpc 60 mk1. in 1987, it was what, $5990 when it came out. still working strong. bought Machine for 360 euros. will it survive for 23 years? prob not. is it good? - yes it is. selling the mpc? -no sir.

i don't have to make a lot of beats to make the machine a good investment. why all the fuss?
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eemo1 View Post
i have to touch some of the things said at this topic...

i got a mpc 60 mk1. in 1987, it was what, $5990 when it came out. still working strong. bought Machine for 360 euros. will it survive for 23 years? prob not. is it good? - yes it is. selling the mpc? -no sir.

i don't have to make a lot of beats to make the machine a good investment. why all the fuss?
thumbsup exactly
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahrome View Post
I know some of you are sick of the gear talk and want to hear music. No problem. So stay out of this thread and read another thread so we can get back to talking about what these musical tools have under the hood.
No real conversation stays where it starts so splintering subjects are just the nature of the forums. Furthermore , I don't think any one person has the right to try and dictate the comments or involvement of others.

Just curious , how did you get your name in the software credits if you were pulled from a public pool? I've never heard of such a thing from any hardware maker. Usually companies give you a thank you email and not much else - and there are only five of you so you had to be specifically selected and not just pulled from a group of registered users. Again, just a matter of disclosure given your historic pro MPC platform.

* Do you have any pics of the glued top panel and omitted labeling? Such a build flaw should be shown to perspective customers. Nobody should get stuck a flawed controller when others have the units of better quality. Thanks.

Last edited by E-Maddox; 7th January 2011 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: spelling
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search