The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Official NI Maschine Review - Will my MPC survive? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Well, I'm very flattered that you went out of your way to pay such a tribute aimed at me personally. I appreciate the effort, Illustrious, I really do.

But the truth is, I don't hate MPCs like how MPC fanboys hate on Maschine. They're just tools for different tastes and uses. I just prefer Maschine for what I do. No need to get worked up over what others use.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

I'm very flattered that you went out of your way to pay such a tribute aimed at me personally. I appreciate the effort, Illustrious, I really do.

But the truth is, I don't hate MPCs like how MPC fanboys hate on Maschine. They're just tools for different tastes and uses. I just prefer Maschine for what I do. No need to get worked up over what others use.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by noggin View Post
No need to get worked up over what others use.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Old 4th January 2011
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
No. MPCs are notorious for dying pads, switches, dead screen...etc. not to mention buggy software/updates not being fixed for years on end. And they cost significantly more money and time to replace then say, a USB controller.

Case in point:
Akai MPC Forums - bottom 4 pads not respondin like they used to : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - Lost control of the pads : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - 2nd mp1000 stutters as hell + sequencing off timing : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - Lame ass mpc! : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - has anyone modified their broken jog wheel? : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - MPC tact switches started goin out : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - Q-link slider generates random midi data - pcb problem? : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - weird MPC SYNC problem... : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - MPC 5000 OS 2.0 Bug Thread : MPC5000
Akai MPC Forums - MPC4000 screen has stopped working : MPC4000

Maschine has much more of a chance of surviving 10-20 years down the line because NI did the smart thing by making the software brain live inside a modern standard computer instead of an outdated proprietary one. I'd be more worried about the MPC dying off before ever worrying about a widely adopted standard technology with backward compatibility like USB. With the way Maschine is designed, NI doesn't have to worry about any of that because they can focus on the software and people will upgrade their computers as technology progress just as they do anyway. All NI had to do was to make sure from the beginning that the software and the dedicated controller was integrated so that it works and feels like using hardware, and boy, did they nail it.
My mpc has been rock solid. You know how it goes; those with an issue have the loudest voice. And rightfully so... But to claim that this is somehow representative of the state of things is to ignore 1. the fact that there are MPCs that have already been going strong for nearly a quarter century, and 2. the fact that I've not created a post on mpc forums to state that mine works like a charm.

Your Maschine, however, will last as long as NI does (or more accurately, as long as NI supports it) and not a minute longer. None of the software I bought ten years ago works. All of the hardware I bought ten years ago works. In fact, I have direct knowledge that the first sampler I ever laid hands on in 1995 is still fully operation. It has needed maintenance, but it still works.

History has already declared the winner of the longevity battle, my friend.
Old 4th January 2011
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
tediously
Nothing at all tedious about layering over here.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Your Maschine, however, will last as long as NI does (or more accurately, as long as NI supports it) and not a minute longer. None of the software I bought ten years ago works. All of the hardware I bought ten years ago works. In fact, I have direct knowledge that the first sampler I ever laid hands on in 1995 is still fully operation. Its needed maintenance, but it still works.

History has already declared the winner of the longevity battle, my friend.
Maschine has been one of the biggest successes for NI. There's just no way they'll suddenly stop supporting it. And even if that were to happen for some reason, it will still work just as your hardware (which is a computer) will still work. When it comes to maintenance and replacing parts, it's much easier/cheaper/more possible in the long run to do so with computers and usb controllers than it is with proprietary hardware.

With the way Maschine is designed, all NI has to do is continue to do what they're best at which is focusing on the software and people will upgrade their computers as technology progress just as they do anyway. In fact, NI has been going crazy with all these free updates that most companies would charge for. Akai on the other hand, you're lucky if the MPC5000's growing list of bugs ever get an update fix. It is very likely though that Akai will stop making MPCs altogether as less and less people are buying them. Akai has already discontinued most of them and are putting more focus on MIDI controllers and iphone apps.

Let's face it. MPCs and hardware workstations are a dying breed and it's much faster to do the same thing on Maschine. There's nothing wrong with preferring MPCs and HW workstations. It's just that there are better alternatives now that gives you more bang for the buck.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

I notice that the Maschine is probably a nice 'bridge' between the MPC and a computer. However, i would like to know what type of an advantage the Maschine would be for a programmer who has been using DAws like Cubase for the past 10 years and is very comfortable using Battery/GrooveAgent along with a midi controller keyboard/pads.
I see a potential advantage for sampling (maybe???) but if I want to sample, I have done that on some of the VST plugins. Can you guys please give me some summaries on a potential 'Bridge' between a computer based guy moving the opposite way to an MPC guy... I do have an MPC60MK1 but I now use it more as pads really and occassionally use it for what it is.
Old 4th January 2011
Quote:
Yeah but everybody knows that. However.... You do know what they say about arguing with fools right?
Yeah, you're probably right. The more I think about it the more he seems like a made up persona. The way he keeps on riding that one theme as ignorantly as he does screams troll to me.

Quote:
Lying about what? You seem confused since there's more than one thing being discussed here.

This is what I said about MPC's layering of samples on one pad (Not Simult Pad): All the MPCs since 3k and 2kxl have gone backwards in terms of layering since from the 1k on up, all the layered drums under one pad uses the same amp and filter envelopes.

Standing alone out of the context you put it in, it isn't a lie per se. But you definitely lied with the whole paragraph the above quote is from:

Quote:
Actually, Maschine new Pad Link feature which is a more dynamic way of layering will be more useful compared to MPC's layering because Maschine's way will allow you to have full control of every parameter for each layer. All the MPCs since 3k and 2kxl have gone backwards in terms of layering since from the 1k on up, all the layered drums under one pad uses the same amp and filter envelopes. With Maschine's new Pad Link feature, you can have a pad layering group (up to 8 of them) where you can set one pad to be the master that triggers all the other pads in that pad group while the "slave" pads can still trigger on their own. This allows for much quicker experimentation while layering and you have full control of all parameters in each layer unlike MPCs.

There you essentially say there's no other way to layer drums on a MPC than on the same pad with the same amp and filter envelopes and only Maschine will have a feature to link pads to be triggered by one master pad with each pad having it's own setting. That's simply put a lie.
And as your answers show you knew about the fact that Simult was possible on MPCs, but chose to lie about it in favor of hyping up your beloved Maschine (or so it seems).

Noggin you're a liar and **** stirrer.. and that's possibly because you're just a made up internet persona to upset people on an internet board. I'm not 100 percent sure whether it is to hype or hurt Maschine.. but it seems more your existence serves the purpose of hurting Maschine.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Maddox View Post
That's a weird answer given that it was simple yes or no question.

Do you have a connection with Roland or Akai? Yes or No.

What you use or own is not what I'm asking you.
Your question is still weird to me. I thought I answered it. If I had a connection with Akai, I wouldn't be talking about Roland and vice versa. So no. I DO NOT have a connection with Akai, Roland, Korg, NI, Propellerhead, Yamaha or any other company other than being a consumer outside of beta testing products from time to time. Why is your question relevant to this discussion? As a Maschine user, I want to see NI improve its OS so I can use it instead of my MPC....or hope that Akai releases their own version of Maschine with the best features of an MPC.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
so did your mpc survive?
Unfortunately not. I sold it over the holidays...got a great price too!
Old 4th January 2011
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maschine has been one of the biggest successes for NI. There's just no way they'll suddenly stop supporting it. And even if that were to happen for some reason, it will still work just as your hardware (which is a computer) will still work. When it comes to maintenance and replacing parts, it's much easier/cheaper/more possible in the long run to do so with computers and usb controllers than it is with proprietary hardware.
Computer maintenance is nonexistant. When it goes, you replace the whole thing. No one said anything about 'suddenly'. One day they'll either go out of business or deem the product too expensive to continue supporting. Its only a matter of time.

When that happens, you'll still be able to use Maschine, until the next Windows or Mac OS update breaks it, that is. From that point forward, you will need to freeze your computer configuration (not unlike those folks who still use Opcode or Antares Infinity, etc.), and you will probably also buy another, more up to date computer to run newer software some time after that. And at some point you will consider it too much of a hassle to run a separate workstation for one piece of software, and you'll abandon Maschine yourself.

Quote:
Let's face it. MPCs and hardware workstations are a dying breed
Sure. I can certainly agree with that statement.
Quote:
and it's much faster to do the same thing on Maschine.
1. its not faster for me to do what I do.
2. It can't do all the same thngs.
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with preferring MPCs and HW workstations. It's just that there are better alternatives now that gives you more bang for the buck.
And the problem here is that better is an opinion, not a fact. You're entitled to that opinion, of course... But your entire stance is an opinion and nothing more.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0t0b0t View Post
There you essentially say there's no other way to layer drums on a MPC than on the same pad with the same amp and filter envelopes and only Maschine will have a feature to link pads to be triggered by one master pad with each pad having it's own setting. That's simply put a lie.
And as your answers show you knew about the fact that Simult was possible on MPCs, but chose to lie about it in favor of hyping up your beloved Maschine (or so it seems).
No. I can see how you got this impression and I could have probably reworded what I said. Honestly, I didn't know about Simult Pad as I never used it with any of the MPCs I had. But I did look it up after you pointed it out along with how it's implemented on JJ OS, and yes, it would be incorrect to say that there is no way to link pads and have each pad have its own settings in MPC. But like I said, even MPC's Simult Pad is still very different from Maschine's Pad Link feature in that Maschine's implementation allows you to quickly change which pads are triggering which and what pad group those pads are in, which allows for much more flexiblity and is just quicker to make changes as most things are in Maschine compared to MPC.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
No. I can see how you go this impression and I could have probably reworded what I said. Honestly, I didn't know about Simult Pad as I never used it with any of the MPCs I had. But I did look it up after you pointed it out along with how it's implemented on JJ OS, and yes, it would be incorrect to say that there is no way to link pads and have each pad have its own settings in MPC. But like I said, even MPC's Simult Pad is still very different from Maschine's Pad Link feature in that Maschine's implementation allows you to quickly change which pads are triggering which and what pad group those pads are in, which allows for much more flexiblity and is just quicker to make changes as most things are in Maschine compared to MPC.even MPC's Simult Pad is still very different from Maschine's Pad Link feature in that Maschine's implementation allows you to quickly change which pads are triggering which and what pad group those pads are in, which allows for much more flexiblity and is just quicker to make changes as most things are in Maschine compared to MPCeven MPC's Simult Pad is still very different from Maschine's Pad Link feature in that Maschine's implementation allows you to quickly change which pads are triggering which and what pad group those pads are in, which allows for much more flexiblity and is just quicker to make changes as most things are in Maschine compared to MPCeven MPC's Simult Pad is still very different from Maschine's Pad Link feature in that Maschine's implementation allows you to quickly change which pads are triggering which and what pad group those pads are in, which allows for much more flexiblity and is just quicker to make changes as most things are in Maschine compared to MPCeven MPC's Simult Pad is still very different from Maschine's Pad Link feature in that Maschine's implementation allows you to quickly change which pads are triggering which and what pad group those pads are in, which allows for much more flexiblity and is just quicker to make changes as most things are in Maschine compared to MPCeven MPC's Simult Pad is still very different from Maschine's Pad Link feature in that Maschine's implementation allows you to quickly change which pads are triggering which and what pad group those pads are in, which allows for much more flexiblity and is just quicker to make changes as most things are in Maschine compared to MPCeven MPC's Simult Pad is still very different from Maschine's Pad Link feature in that Maschine's implementation allows you to quickly change which pads are triggering which and what pad group those pads are in, which allows for much more flexiblity and is just quicker to make changes as most things are in Maschine compared to MPCeven MPC's Simult Pad is still very different from Maschine's Pad Link feature in that Maschine's implementation allows you to quickly change which pads are triggering which and what pad group those pads are in, which allows for much more flexiblity and is just quicker to make changes as most things are in Maschine compared to MPC

How can you even keep track of all of your bull****? If you don't know just say so, or don't say anything at all. People are asking honest questions on this forum about Maschines capabilities and all you are doing is throwing **** at the wall until something sticks.

I know you enjoy these nerd-fights just like a grown up single guy arguing about Start Trek with other nerds, but it's really annoying to hear all this misinformation.

Just admit you don't know what you are talking about. Just like how you said that the MPC couldn't do program changes and handle CC data like the superior Maschine.

You are the one and only person here on GS that I've ever put on my /ignore list. I won't miss your endless hair splitting. Now go cry more tears about the incessant personal attacks on yourself, The Maschine Martyr.

Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wax808 View Post
You are the one and only person here on GS that I've ever put on my /ignore list.
I feel so special. Enjoy your magical sounding MPC1000 with the magical voltage output and compressor!
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
This message is hidden because noggin is on your ignore list.

And it was SO EASY!!!https://www.gearslutz.com/board/profi...gnore&u=125770
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Computer maintenance is nonexistant. When it goes, you replace the whole thing. No one said anything about 'suddenly'. One day they'll either go out of business or deem the product too expensive to continue supporting. Its only a matter of time.
What you smoking there, mp3? Lemme have some of that. How is "computer maintenance nonexistant"? Really? The only option that exists with computers is to "replace the whole thing"? What makes you think "it's only a matter of time" before NI stop supporting Maschine or "go out of business"? Because Akai got sold to Numark/Alesis and have been discontinuing MPCs left and right?
Quote:
When that happens, you'll still be able to use Maschine, until the next Windows or Mac OS update breaks it, that is. From that point forward, you will need to freeze your computer configuration (not unlike those folks who still use Opcode or Antares Infinity, etc.)
The point is that you can keep using it. It's no different than "hardware" except with "hardware" you usually have no option to even consider upgrading the OS.
Quote:
and you will probably also buy another, more up to date computer to run newer software some time after that. And at some point you will consider it too much of a hassle to run a separate workstation for one piece of software, and you'll abandon Maschine yourself.
Now you're stretching it with pure conjecture with nothing to substantiate such claims.
Quote:
And the problem here is that better is an opinion, not a fact. You're entitled to that opinion, of course... But your entire stance is an opinion and nothing more.
No, what you've been saying so far is pure opinion, which is fine. I have strong opinions too and I share it openly but I have also provided plenty of facts here.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wax808 View Post
Just like how you said that the MPC couldn't do program changes and handle CC data like the superior Maschine.
Talk about "throwing **** at the wall until something sticks". Feel free to show me where I said that or shut the f*ck up.
Old 4th January 2011
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0t0b0t View Post
No. I can see how you go this impression and I could have probably reworded what I said. Honestly, I didn't know about Simult Pad as I never used it with any of the MPCs I had. But I did look it up after you pointed it out along with how it's implemented on JJ OS, and yes, it would be incorrect to say that there is no way to link pads and have each pad have its own settings in MPC. But like I said, even MPC's Simult Pad is still very different from Maschine's Pad Link feature in that Maschine's implementation allows you to quickly change which pads are triggering which and what pad group those pads are in, which allows for much more flexiblity and is just quicker to make changes as most things are in Maschine compared to MPC.
It's ok, but may I quote you from the other thread:

Quote:
Talk about assumption and misinformation
heh
Old 5th January 2011
mp3
Lives for gear

My Official NI Maschine Review - Will my MPC survive?

Noggin you've used multiple mpcs and you've never used simult? It all makes sense now... Mpcs aren't easy for you to use because you don't know how to.

Anyhow, I guarantee you your maschine will not last longer than my mpc. Don't care how big NI is, music technology is a niche market so they are still small beans. Same with Akai. And one day they will either close up shop or discontinue support of maschine. Oh and if it isn't RAM or the hard drive, the computer doesn't get fixed. Of course you'll just pay the geeksquad $200 to tell you that.

Your software will last forever. How absurd.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drollz View Post
I think Maschine is half-way to the "Holy Grail," which would be something that combined the 100% complete software integration with a hardware unit that Maschine has ALONG WITH 100% independent operation, with samples stored in the unit, a la MPC. For instance, you could work it with the software, but then save programs, sequences, songs, sounds, etc., directly into the box, too, thereby getting 100% away from the PC whenever you wanted to and being able to use the instrument in a live setting without having a laptop rig (which imo is corny). Akai should hop on this, but I doubt they will.
you know, i really agree with this. if machine were capable of both daw integration and completely functional standalone operation, i would buy one in a heartbeat. i don't like the fact that i'd have to be running the daw/software to use it.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahrome View Post
If I had a connection with Akai, I wouldn't be talking about Roland and vice versa. So no. I DO NOT have a connection with Akai, Roland, Korg, NI, Propellerhead, Yamaha or any other company other than being a consumer outside of beta testing products from time to time.

That is actually the very definition of being connected. Downplaying this doesn't change it.

Quote:
Why is your question relevant to this discussion?
It matters because such dislcosure keeps everyone honest and it allows anyone that reads your post to consider the source.

** It seems that NOGGIN is banned. I couldn't read his earlier threads and post. I didn't think it would go that far.

Last edited by E-Maddox; 6th January 2011 at 02:48 AM.. Reason: add on
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Nut

Had NI Macshine for 10 days. Love it! Sold my MPC 5000.
No regrets. 2 thumbs wayyyyyyyyy up for NI Macshine!!!!!
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
you know, i really agree with this. if machine were capable of both daw integration and completely functional standalone operation, i would buy one in a heartbeat. i don't like the fact that i'd have to be running the daw/software to use it.
^agreed.

If Maschine could run standalone like a Roland VariOS it would be a no brainer.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Maddox View Post
That is actually the very definition of being connected. Downplaying this doesn't change it.

It matters because such dislcosure keeps everyone honest and it allows anyone that reads your post to consider the source.
You are joking right? Dude, many of these companies offer registered users a chance to beta test software and operating systems of hardware. In fact many of them do public beta testing (Propellerhead, Native Instruments). Do you actually own these products? Or have some insight on how they work? Saying I am "connected" sounds silly..actually, just replying to your odd questions/comments is silly.

So lets get back to the topic at hand. Maschine and MPCs...own both products...well versed on their operations. Looking forward to beta-testing Maschine's much needed OS 1.6 (as well as the rest of Native Instrument Forum members...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khayree View Post
Had NI Macshine for 10 days. Love it! Sold my MPC 5000.
No regrets. 2 thumbs wayyyyyyyyy up for NI Macshine!!!!!
Also an MPC 5000 user. I can't think of one good reason to use Maschine instead of my MPC 5000. The 5K OS 2.0 is light years ahead of Maschine in every way.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Interesting idea! I wonder if there is a possibility of doing this? Or would they have to build a whole different device (a Maschine II)?

Right now, the thing has no power supply. It is powered from USB.

It would be a smart evolution of the concept. Do the heavy-lifting with the Maschine connected to the computer. Then, a simplified feature set when it is not connected to the computer.

With Noggin gone, we can maybe finally get to some substantive discussion of this instrument! The air is clear. No more drama and hysterics.

- c
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are joking right? Dude, many of these companies offer registered users a chance to beta test software and operating systems of hardware. In fact many of them do public beta testing (Propellerhead, Native Instruments). Do you actually own these products? Or have some insight on how they work? Saying I am "connected" sounds silly..actually, just replying to your odd questions/comments is silly.

So lets get back to the topic at hand. Maschine and MPCs...own both products...well versed on their operations. Looking forward to beta-testing Maschine's much needed OS 1.6 (as well as the rest of Native Instrument Forum members...)

Also an MPC 5000 user. I can't think of one good reason to use Maschine instead of my MPC 5000. The 5K OS 2.0 is light years ahead of Maschine in every way.
@Jerome,

I'm an MPC 5000 user also and was just wondering if you think Akai are ever gonna update the software again?.

I've been waiting for ages, but the MPC 5000 still rocks regardless
Old 6th January 2011
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofreak View Post
@Jerome,

I'm an MPC 5000 user also and was just wondering if you think Akai are ever gonna update the software again?.

I've been waiting for ages, but the MPC 5000 still rocks regardless
They're probably not going to. Maybe a bug fix or two, but Akai historically doesn't go far beyond 2.1 versions of their OS. At least not since the S3000 era...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search