The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Official NI Maschine Review - Will my MPC survive? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 31st December 2010
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noggin View Post
Then you obviously haven't used Maschine. There is no MPC that can come close to the speed and ease at which you can accomplish the same things on Maschine. This is one of Maschine's main advantages.
Ok.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That's a weird question...especially since you can see my Forum Signature.....
That's a weird answer given that it was simple yes or no question.

Do you have a connection with Roland or Akai? Yes or No.

What you use or own is not what I'm asking you.

Last edited by E-Maddox; 31st December 2010 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

My Official NI Maschine Review - Will my MPC survive?

Does maschine come with 12bit samples or have a facility to change bit rates? If so, brilliant. If not, there is no point comparing mpc with maschine. Try an mpc60 with it's 12bit sampling and punch a sample through it and notice the grit.
As someone mentioned maybe the perfect combo is maschine and 60?
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wax808 View Post
What I was referring to is the fact that Machine can't do what I need it to as far as controlling lots of hardware. I asked you about this in earnest a while back in a another thread.... This is your reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noggin
heh

Are we talking 5 external hardware synths? Maschine can certainly replace the MPC as a master sequencer in a software based setup especially in light of the 1.6 update bomb they just dropped, but if you have a bunch of hardware you wanna use, I say stick with the MPC, at least until NI brings more updates in that area which they have promised.
But you knew this.... and you decided to dredge up an old thread I posted to score some weird internet points.

Enjoy your laptop all you want..... for guys like me who use lots of real hardware in the studio and live the machine can't even come close to replacing an MPC.
It's true that with Maschine, you have less need for additional hardware (especially workstations) but since that post, NI has revealed more info on the 1.6 update which means Maschine's sequencer will now have full control and automation of any hardware with an editor that load as plugins. That's already a pretty extensive list of gear including all Access Virus synths, all Novation synths, Mopho, Evolver, Tetra, Prophet '08, Moog Little Phatty/Voyager, Micron/Miniak, Waldorf Pulse/Blofeld, MS2000, Clavia Nord...etc. thanks to the free open source hardware editor plugins from CTRLR. And that list is constantly growing.

This also means that Maschine 1.6 goes much further in this area since you won't have to save separately on each hardware you're controlling per project. Maschine's project will save and recall all settings for every hardware it's controlling via its editor plugin.

And just so there's no confusion, people are already controlling external hardware with Maschine just fine even without the 1.6 update:
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Does maschine come with 12bit samples or have a facility to change bit rates? If so, brilliant. If not, there is no point comparing mpc with maschine. Try an mpc60 with it's 12bit sampling and punch a sample through it and notice the grit.
As someone mentioned maybe the perfect combo is maschine and 60?
Yes it has both bit reduction (variable) and sample rate reduction (also variable).
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

And of course Maschine has a vintage mode with emulation of MPC60 and SP1200, based on actual component modelling even down to details like the aliasing effect from the tuning of the sample and the different filters on the outputs of the SP 1200. Both emulations trace the exact signal flow through the actual machines.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Maschine is a beastthumbsupthumbsup
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's true that with Maschine, you have less need for additional hardware (especially workstations) but since that post, NI has revealed more info on the 1.6 update which means Maschine's sequencer will now have full control and automation of any hardware with an editor that load as plugins. That's already a pretty extensive list of gear including all Access Virus synths, all Novation synths, Mopho, Evolver, Tetra, Prophet '08, Moog Little Phatty/Voyager, Micron/Miniak, Waldorf Pulse/Blofeld, MS2000, Clavia Nord...etc. thanks to the free open source hardware editor plugins from CTRLR. And that list is constantly growing.
That is pretty cool, I'm glad they made such a big update. It doesn't apply to most of my synths, but it's cool.

Quote:

This also means that Maschine 1.6 goes much further in this area since you won't have to save separately on each hardware you're controlling per project. Maschine's project will save and recall all settings for every hardware it's controlling via its editor plugin.
lol.... that's funny that you think that feature is exclusive to Maschine. My MV can do that no problem, my MPC can do the same thing. I've been doing it for years.... no laptop needed.

Quote:
And just so there's no confusion, people are already controlling external hardware with Maschine just fine even without the 1.6 update:

I'm not sure how much you know about this stuff. But it's not hard to control external hardware with just about any device you want. I can control any of my synths with my iphone, laptop, or even my Cajon using midi triggers. Woo-hoo.....

The issue for me isn't having control of my devices, that's the easy part. It's about how reliable and clean the solution is. In all the live shows I've done my MPC has NEVER failed me. I don't use laptops on stage except for visuals, and there is a reason for that. I've seen more than a few sweating hipsters hearts sink when their laptop screws up.

Maschine just isn't right for my live setup. Should be fun for the studio though. I hear great things about it.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Quote:
lol.... that's funny that you think that feature is exclusive to Maschine. My MV can do that no problem, my MPC can do the same thing. I've been doing it for years.... no laptop needed.
You're obviously missing the point that Maschine can load and fully control VST/AU plugins and has the same total control of external hardware with editor plugins. That's something that MPC and MV can only dream of having.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahrome View Post
If it wasn't for continued feedback from users (as well as non-users), we wouldn't have the features in OS 1.6.
Exactly, feedback is important and there are MANY features that wouldn't be here without user feedback, gotta have it.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

My Official NI Maschine Review - Will my MPC survive?

Quote:
You're obviously missing the point that Maschine can load and fully control VST/AU plugins and has the same total control of external hardware with editor plugins. That's something that MPC and MV can only dream of having.
No, I understand perfectly well that Maschine is able to host software plug-ins. I don't use those though, when I buy something I like real, tangible stuff. I don't pay money for things that can be rendered obsolete by technology for the most part. If I really cared about hosting VST plugins I've got Reaper, It does that for 40$..... Or free if you just wanna try it out.

I agree that Maschine is a great solution for bedroom producers and mobile studio setups..... But for guys like me it just won't be able to replace what I've got now with my mpc and mv.

I am stoked to find one used at some point. Should be fun to throw it in my laptop bag.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
If I really cared about hosting VST plugins I've got Reaper, It does that for 40$.....

Again, completely missing the point. Think harder about why plugin hosting in Maschine is a big deal for so many people when DAWs already have that. It's not about just hosting plugins. It's about having that hardware workflow yet still having the power and flexibility of computer software.

Quote:
I agree that Maschine is a great solution for bedroom producers and mobile studio setups.....
No one said anything about it being geared toward or being any more suitable for "bedroom producers" or "mobile studio setups". It can be great for any studio setup big or small and for any live setup, "mobile" or not.
Old 1st January 2011
mp3
Lives for gear

What, you trying to win an opinion battle?
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Again, completely missing the point. Think harder about why plugin hosting in Maschine is a big deal for so many people when DAWs already have that. It's not about just hosting plugins. It's about having that hardware workflow yet still having the power and flexibility of computer software.
I'm sure it is a big deal for you.......
Quote:
It can be great for any studio setup big or small and for any live setup, "mobile" or not.

No, not really. Not for my setup. It just wouldn't work.

If you like it for what you do then that's awesome.....
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
No, not really. Not for my setup. It just wouldn't work.
Yes, really. Just because it may not work for you doesn't mean it can't work great for others in all types of studios and live setups big or small, not just for "bedroom producers" or "mobile" live setups which nobody mentioned except for you.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

@Jahrome

Do you have a connection with NI, Roland or Akai? Yes or No.

connected = anyone linked to these companies beyond "end user/customer" status.
* What you use or own is not what I'm asking you.

Thanks in advance for being upfront.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
But yeah, out of all the hardware I use the MPC1000 has an incredible sound that punches though any mix. It kills my MV-8000, not to mention the little laptop I use to listen to MP3's.
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Actually, Maschine new Pad Link feature which is a more dynamic way of layering will be more useful compared to MPC's layering because Maschine's way will allow you to have full control of every parameter for each layer. All the MPCs since 3k and 2kxl have gone backwards in terms of layering since from the 1k on up, all the layered drums under one pad uses the same amp and filter envelopes. With Maschine's new Pad Link feature, you can have a pad layering group (up to 8 of them) where you can set one pad to be the master that triggers all the other pads in that pad group while the "slave" pads can still trigger on their own. This allows for much quicker experimentation while layering and you have full control of all parameters in each layer unlike MPCs.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Like I said, with MPC layering from the 1k on up, all the layered drums under one pad uses the same amp and filter envelopes.

The only MPC that comes with the simult pad feature that hasn't been discontinued is the 5000. With the 1000/2500, you have to rely on an unofficial third party operating system that you have to buy additionally in order to get that feature.

Anyway, none of this really matters when you look at Akai moving away from and discontinuing legacy products like MPC whereas NI has been on fire, actively developing Maschine based directly on user feedback. The direction Maschine is heading is clearly the future and when it comes to workflow, it's just a no contest.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The direction Maschine is heading is clearly the future and when it comes to workflow, it's just a no contest.

You might be right..... Who knows what the development future of the MPC will be.

I bought my wife an iBook a few days ago on Craigslist. It's only 5 years old, but I'm bummed that the very newest software won't run so great on it, some stuff wont run at all. I won't buy any audio interfaces for it because I have no idea what might happen in another 5 years with support.

And one thing I know for sure is that my MPC1000, MV8000, Blofeld, Mopho, Virus, ESQ-1, Micro-Q, etc will be just fine 5-10-20 years from now if they are well cared for. And they will still all talk to each other. In order to future-proof Maschine you will need it's own dedicated laptop, and a bunch of spare parts.

So yeah, the whole "unsupported and discontinued product" argument is pretty weak....
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Like I said, with MPC layering from the 1k on up, all the layered drums under one pad uses the same amp and filter envelopes.

The only MPC that comes with the simult pad feature that hasn't been discontinued is the 5000. With the 1000/2500, you have to rely on an unofficial third party operating system that you have to buy additionally in order to get that feature.

Anyway, none of this really matters when you look at Akai moving away from and discontinuing legacy products like MPC whereas NI has been on fire, actively developing Maschine based directly on user feedback. The direction Maschine is heading is clearly the future and when it comes to workflow, it's just a no contest.

Hah you're funny, that was not what you said. You said:
...bla..bla...blaa

we could continue like that and requote our own posts in this thread which is stupid...

But fact is you said NONE of the MPC's had such a simult feature and only the oh so great Maschine would get it in a comming update and that's simply a proof that you are knowingly spreading misinformation... others would call that LYING.

And the fact that the 1K and the 2K5 can be updated with a 3rd party OS to have such a feature doesn't take anything away from the fact that they are able to do those things you said they couldn't.

You aren't doing any Maschine users and fans any favor by constantly, blatantly and solely hyping it, spreading misinformation and running other drum machines down in each in every thread and post you're in.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

0t0b0t, chill the f*ck down.

Simult Pad feature in MPC5000 or on JJ OS is not the same thing as Maschine's new Pad Link feature, although similar in concept.

Machine's Pad Link feature has 8 pad groups and you can quickly set each pad to whichever group and whether it should act as master or slave.

MPC5000 or JJ OS has nothing like this. With them, you have to go into each pad and specify which pads (only up to 4) that it should trigger. So you basically have a list of 4 pads you can trigger for each pad that you have to go through one by one, which is much more of a time-consuming process. This is why I said Maschine's way "allows for much quicker experimentation".
Old 4th January 2011
You chill down.. you freak out on old posts of guys who said something about a certain other drum machine on another thread and you quote and facepalm it in a thread that used to be about machine just to ridicule that other guy and affirm yourself of your superior choice...

so you chill the f*ck down and start acting as a forum member rather than a son of a sock puppet of a fanboy of a hype man of a supporter of a manufacturer of hardware/software products.

You know where you lied about the fact what those MPC drum machines could do in regards to layering pads and be able to control every layer on its own.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

so did your mpc survive?
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
so did your mpc survive?

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 4th January 2011
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
...Simult Pad ... Pad Link ...
that = same feature, slightly different implementation.
you = fanatic.

Layering samples is layering samples is layering samples. The feature is as old as samplers. Some machines do it one way, others do it another. On some machines you may even have to hit two pads or keys at the same time. I'm sure you shudder at that thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0t0b0t View Post
You know where you lied about the fact what those MPC drum machines could do in
Yeah but everybody knows that. However.... You do know what they say about arguing with fools right?

If some kid comes along and believes some bit of misinformation about MPCs or Maschine, then he'll either figure it out, or he'll get on making music with whichever one he chooses...
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
And one thing I know for sure is that my MPC1000, MV8000, Blofeld, Mopho, Virus, ESQ-1, Micro-Q, etc will be just fine 5-10-20 years from now if they are well cared for. And they will still all talk to each other. In order to future-proof Maschine you will need it's own dedicated laptop, and a bunch of spare parts.
No. MPCs are notorious for dying pads, switches, dead screen...etc. not to mention buggy software/updates not being fixed for years on end. And they cost significantly more money and time to replace then say, a USB controller.

Case in point:
Akai MPC Forums - bottom 4 pads not respondin like they used to : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - Lost control of the pads : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - 2nd mp1000 stutters as hell + sequencing off timing : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - Lame ass mpc! : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - has anyone modified their broken jog wheel? : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - MPC tact switches started goin out : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - Q-link slider generates random midi data - pcb problem? : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - weird MPC SYNC problem... : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - MPC 5000 OS 2.0 Bug Thread : MPC5000
Akai MPC Forums - MPC4000 screen has stopped working : MPC4000

Maschine has much more of a chance of surviving 10-20 years down the line because NI did the smart thing by making the software brain live inside a modern standard computer instead of an outdated proprietary one. I'd be more worried about the MPC dying off before ever worrying about a widely adopted standard technology with backward compatibility like USB. With the way Maschine is designed, NI doesn't have to worry about any of that because they can focus on the software and people will upgrade their computers as technology progress just as they do anyway. All NI had to do was to make sure from the beginning that the software and the dedicated controller was integrated so that it works and feels like using hardware, and boy, did they nail it.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
that = same feature, slightly different implementation.
No. With MPC's Simult Pad feature, you have to go into each pad and then have to tediously specify the list of up to 4 pads it can trigger, one by one, for every pad you want to have trigger other pads. With Maschine's Pad Link feature, you have 8 pad groups and you can quickly set any pad to be in one of those groups and whether it should act as master or slave. Maschine's way allows for much quicker experimentation. Again, it's all about the workflow.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0t0b0t View Post
You know where you lied about the fact what those MPC drum machines could do in regards to layering pads and be able to control every layer on its own.
Lying about what? You seem confused since there's more than one thing being discussed here.

This is what I said about MPC's layering of samples on one pad (Not Simult Pad): All the MPCs since 3k and 2kxl have gone backwards in terms of layering since from the 1k on up, all the layered drums under one pad uses the same amp and filter envelopes.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

.....sigh, noggin is a troll
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search