The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Official NI Maschine Review - Will my MPC survive? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

They should implement a Geist like layering feature.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

yep, Geist or BPM type layering is highly requested. Even before Geist, Guru had nice layering.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Stand up! take a bow!

That was one of the best reviews/comparisons I've read. Thanks for that.

Yeah, maschine is one hell of a monster, I don't have it but if I needed something like that, I would grab it.

I have a 2kxl and I'm by no means a power user and am still new to it. I come from a background of ITB so maschine would work well for me, but really, all I need the MPC for is drum programming and sequencing... I dont even use song mode. Occasionally I'll rip and cut a sample but that is not a hassle.

The only real reason that this works for me is that I do most of my work ITB this is what works best and the work rate is fine.

If I ever need to speed up and get tricky, maybe then Maschine will be the key. I certainly dont use the MPC for the sake of nostalgia.. well..maybe a little heh but I personally only care about getting from point a) concept to point b) end result

Unless Akai releases something with similar pc integration as maschine, maschine is clearly the future.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post

Unless Akai releases something with similar pc integration as maschine, maschine is clearly the future.
I think Maschine is half-way to the "Holy Grail," which would be something that combined the 100% complete software integration with a hardware unit that Maschine has ALONG WITH 100% independent operation, with samples stored in the unit, a la MPC. For instance, you could work it with the software, but then save programs, sequences, songs, sounds, etc., directly into the box, too, thereby getting 100% away from the PC whenever you wanted to and being able to use the instrument in a live setting without having a laptop rig (which imo is corny). Akai should hop on this, but I doubt they will.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drollz View Post
I think Maschine is half-way to the "Holy Grail," which would be something that combined the 100% complete software integration with a hardware unit that Maschine has ALONG WITH 100% independent operation, with samples stored in the unit, a la MPC. For instance, you could work it with the software, but then save programs, sequences, songs, sounds, etc., directly into the box, too, thereby getting 100% away from the PC whenever you wanted to and being able to use the instrument in a live setting without having a laptop rig (which imo is corny). Akai should hop on this, but I doubt they will.
Yes they should. There is still time...

Thx Dayl~
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface View Post
I actually would rather you had posted them. Lots to learn on Maschine. As I said, I'm not an expert...this is more like my 30 day review. I don't however feel 6 pages of envelopes, filters, etc is misleading. It's AWESOME! And I don't leave my main page to access them. There's just so many options, you have to tab/click through them. I've actually thought of alot of other things that I like about it...like when I play kick, snr, hh at the same time, it tracks the midi seperately. On an MPC I'd have to go back later and seperate those tracks. I do wish it had flip screens...it's a little tough to see sometimes but it's usable.

I don't intend to take anyones comments for or against this review personal. It's just my take after a short time. Hopefully it will prove helpful to some and if nothing else hopefully it's at least an interesting read.
HARDWARE
Maschine's hardware is not more robust than any hardware controller on the market. NI put just enough quality into it to keep the price low. The top plate of the unit is glued to the base. Out the box, the glue used to bond the top plate has lost its bonding strength causing the plate to rise above the row of 10 buttons. This is a design flaw. I visited my local music gear shop and the display model had the same thing.

NI appears to build all their hardware from the same/similar parts so changing the design is unlikely. But I would like the hardware to be more robust like an MPC/MV and include adjustable LCDs. Now, most users I know have purchased adjustable lap top stands to incline the hardware.

The integration of Maschine's software and hardware was the biggest selling point for me as an MPC user. For years, software could do much more than any MPC/MV. But you can't beat the feeling of using actual hardware with a keyboard and mouse. Maschine finally gives users of software that MPC feel. However, not every function in Maschine's software can be controlled from the hardware. As one example...the BROWSE function on the hardware can not search your hardware drive. Or something simple as saving a sound. You can only do these via software. Also, while some functions of the software are laid out on the main page for you to see and edit with a mouse..in order to use the hardware, you have to scroll through pages. For example, if you press the MAP tab...the software shows the 8 mapping perimeters. The hardware has 8 knobs, but you can't use all of them to edit these perimeters. The hardware spreads these perimeters out over 3 pages. It may seam small..but there are quite a few things such as this that are annoying. So I am among the users that send in numerous feature requests to NI to tweak the way Maschine works. So far, they are listening. For me, Maschine needs to have 100% control from the hardware..and the hardware LCD should display exactly what the software displays to the greatest extent possible. Think of this suggestion as what the MV does. MV's LCD shows exactly what its external VGA monitor shows.

SAMPLE EDITING
Maschine has the most limited sampling and sample editing of any software/hardware sampler I have ever used. Everything Maschine can do in this regard can be accomplished by an MPC, MV, or any leading software sampler. Maschine just doesn't have the same editing capabilities.

SEQUENCER
Maschine or an MPC will most likely never be the end all for all users. This is apparent when you mention that Maschine tracks MIDI separately. I have never found this a limitation with an MPC (depending on which model) since it has a program mixer, track mixer, and allows you to route audio to 10 outputs. Then you throw in recordable pad mutes, track mutes, and even quantize these mutes...you see numerous possibilities. Maschine doesn't have all of these as it has its own way of tracking with pros and cons. Using an MPC though, it is simple to lay you kik, snares, high hats, etc on seperate tracks as you record. Since you never have to stop an MPCs sequencer, you can start recording your kik drums on a track 1..hit a button to go to track 2 to start recording your snares. So to each his own regarding this as I don't really see to much an advantage either way.

However, Maschine nor any product I have seen can match what an MPC does with Quantize and Swing. That is why so many products on the market come up with these MPC groove templates. I don't understand why they just don't duplicate it exactly down to every perimeter unless there is a patent on it.

I have more...but much of it is rehashed in numerous threads across the forums. I like the idea of Maschine and hope that it continues to evolve...maybe other companies will jump on board and make similar products. For me...I need a product like an MPC 5000/4000 or MV-8800 integrated with a computer like Maschine. Until then....I have to use what is available and write numerous feature request threads in the process.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

does machine have all the sound mangling things like battery?
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahrome View Post
HARDWARE
NI put just enough quality into it to keep the price low. The top plate of the unit is glued to the base. Out the box, the glue used to bond the top plate has lost its bonding strength causing the plate to rise above the row of 10 buttons. This is a design flaw. I visited my local music gear shop and the display model had the same thing.

When did you get yours mine screws?
Old 24th December 2010
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty Black View Post
When did you get yours mine screws?
I purchased Maschine within the past year. Cosmetically, my unit looks exactly what's on NI's site minus some labeling. I don't have the following labels: Count In, Replace, <Step, Step>, or the labeling above the 3 MASTER knobs.

What do you mean by screws? There are no screws on the top of my unit nor in any of the pics on NI's website. The entire top face plate of my unit can be removed since it is glued/taped down. Right now its just a cosmetic issue. But it is valid subject to address when we are talking about the build quality of the Maschine controller.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfguard View Post
does machine have all the sound mangling things like battery?
Maschine is no where near Battery when it comes to sound mangling. Based upon feedback in the NI Forum, NI doesn't plan on giving Maschine the sound shaping tools of Battery anytime soon. They also indicated that sample editing improvements are a low priority. In the lasted Maschine On The Record, they didn't address questions on this topic...
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
HARDWARE
Maschine's hardware is not more robust than any hardware controller on the market. NI put just enough quality into it to keep the price low. The top plate of the unit is glued to the base. Out the box, the glue used to bond the top plate has lost its bonding strength causing the plate to rise above the row of 10 buttons. This is a design flaw. I visited my local music gear shop and the display model had the same thing.

NI appears to build all their hardware from the same/similar parts so changing the design is unlikely. But I would like the hardware to be more robust like an MPC/MV and include adjustable LCDs. Now, most users I know have purchased adjustable lap top stands to incline the hardware.

The integration of Maschine's software and hardware was the biggest selling point for me as an MPC user. For years, software could do much more than any MPC/MV. But you can't beat the feeling of using actual hardware with a keyboard and mouse. Maschine finally gives users of software that MPC feel. However, not every function in Maschine's software can be controlled from the hardware. As one example...the BROWSE function on the hardware can not search your hardware drive. Or something simple as saving a sound. You can only do these via software. Also, while some functions of the software are laid out on the main page for you to see and edit with a mouse..in order to use the hardware, you have to scroll through pages. For example, if you press the MAP tab...the software shows the 8 mapping perimeters. The hardware has 8 knobs, but you can't use all of them to edit these perimeters. The hardware spreads these perimeters out over 3 pages. It may seam small..but there are quite a few things such as this that are annoying. So I am among the users that send in numerous feature requests to NI to tweak the way Maschine works. So far, they are listening. For me, Maschine needs to have 100% control from the hardware..and the hardware LCD should display exactly what the software displays to the greatest extent possible. Think of this suggestion as what the MV does. MV's LCD shows exactly what its external VGA monitor shows.

SAMPLE EDITING
Maschine has the most limited sampling and sample editing of any software/hardware sampler I have ever used. Everything Maschine can do in this regard can be accomplished by an MPC, MV, or any leading software sampler. Maschine just doesn't have the same editing capabilities.

SEQUENCER
Maschine or an MPC will most likely never be the end all for all users. This is apparent when you mention that Maschine tracks MIDI separately. I have never found this a limitation with an MPC (depending on which model) since it has a program mixer, track mixer, and allows you to route audio to 10 outputs. Then you throw in recordable pad mutes, track mutes, and even quantize these mutes...you see numerous possibilities. Maschine doesn't have all of these as it has its own way of tracking with pros and cons. Using an MPC though, it is simple to lay you kik, snares, high hats, etc on seperate tracks as you record. Since you never have to stop an MPCs sequencer, you can start recording your kik drums on a track 1..hit a button to go to track 2 to start recording your snares. So to each his own regarding this as I don't really see to much an advantage either way.

However, Maschine nor any product I have seen can match what an MPC does with Quantize and Swing. That is why so many products on the market come up with these MPC groove templates. I don't understand why they just don't duplicate it exactly down to every perimeter unless there is a patent on it.

I have more...but much of it is rehashed in numerous threads across the forums. I like the idea of Maschine and hope that it continues to evolve...maybe other companies will jump on board and make similar products. For me...I need a product like an MPC 5000/4000 or MV-8800 integrated with a computer like Maschine. Until then....I have to use what is available and write numerous feature request threads in the process.
Wow. That is one of the most glass-half-full "reviews" I've seen in a long time.

In all fairness to NI (or any product), is there any GOOD thing about Maschine in your opinion. I can't see why you'd plunk down good money for something that you so obviously don't care for.

Don't get me wrong. If you love the MPC, that is great. But that doesn't make every tool/controller with pads a substandard unit or not equally as useful. I really don't get all the Maschine hate.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Maschine is no where near Battery when it comes to sound mangling. Based upon feedback in the NI Forum, NI doesn't plan on giving Maschine the sound shaping tools of Battery anytime soon. They also indicated that sample editing improvements are a low priority. In the lasted Maschine On The Record, they didn't address questions on this topic...
I don't get this. NI is allowing you to use/manipulate VIs within Maschine with version 1.6. Given that you'll be able to use Battery as a sound source and (I hope) sculpting tool, I think it is a masterstroke of marketing. Who wouldn't add Komplete 7 to the arsenal?! (Too bad I bought them already. I foresee some kind of bundle deal coming.)
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

I honestly couldn't be happier with Maschine, and the comment about being able to host battery within maschine... Almost redundant but at the same time crazy possibilities... with the amount of work NI is putting into Maschine's updates (if they listen to the feature requests).... I am willing to bet that by 2.0 it's going to be an amazing tool... not being able to do HD browsing from the hardware is my only gripe right now..... pad layering or pad linking i'm not too worried about... just hit both pads at the same time.. in fact some of the most recent tracks i've made have really had a great loose sound because i'll record one snare or clap, quantize it straight, then record another snare/clap over it and not quantize it at all and it makes the track more live sounding, every snare/clap hit is different.... My 2 cents.... But honestly Maschine has been one of the more influential additions to my studio since I got a Mac Pro..... My sound has become completely different in a good way... and I still have the akai MPD24 which has become obsolete..... imo that thing was crap. the pads sucked, i love the sensitivity of the pads on maschine....
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

Excellent review!

I absolutely love Maschine. I've had it for just over a year now and am very satisfied. I can't wait til 1.6 comes out with VST support.

The only thing I wish is that the pads were on the left side. It's really no big deal at all but I'm left handed and would prefer to have them on the left more like the MPC 1000/2500. Definitely does not stop me from using it though.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

good review to the OP
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Those Maschine vids on the NI site are nice... that thing looks amazing.
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear
there are a few points in both jahrome and the original post i dissagree with .
1) "the pads are softer than mpc" not mine (not to say yours aren't) I have an mpc 2000xl SE2 and maschine has ever so slightly harder pads.
but I do prefer my maschines pads to my mpc when it comes to live finger drumming.

2) NI doesn't intend to add deeper sample manipulation.... well I know this for a fact not to be true as it's actually on the road map of improvements.

as from my maschine and the fate of my mpc. well the only feature that really lacks in my current workflow that I actually really miss from my mpc is timestretch as an audio edit process... sure I can get around it using other software but it is a hassle compared to the ease of all the other built in maschine features.
even with VST support i simply wish for it as an audio edit function the same way that truncate or normalize is handling.

the software is decent. i do look forward to future updates in this department as I would love a clipboard and a REAL song mode.
dedicated song length automation and audio tracks would really help out.

Love my mpc but as of right now, I let my cousin who lives 5 hours away hold it. I wouldn't sell it as I've done so much with it, it holds memories...
but ... it's just collecting dust in my studio now.

oh and one other thing I think unfortunately there either was a change in the glue or manufacturing process later in the controllers life because i got one of the units just after they changed to the current lettering on the controller and have never had an issue with the metal plate comming loose or lifting. though I have heard people talk about this on the NI forums. I do believe NI has taken care of this issue and also will handle it if you contact em... other than that I like the controller A LOT. the knobs are very very nice (got rid of my novation remote sl zero cause i liked maschines' knobs so much more)
Old 27th December 2010
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWeeGee View Post
Wow. That is one of the most glass-half-full "reviews" I've seen in a long time.

In all fairness to NI (or any product), is there any GOOD thing about Maschine in your opinion. I can't see why you'd plunk down good money for something that you so obviously don't care for.

Don't get me wrong. If you love the MPC, that is great. But that doesn't make every tool/controller with pads a substandard unit or not equally as useful. I really don't get all the Maschine hate.
I think you reading too much into his post. For one, it certainly isn't hate. For two, how can he find out whether or not he cares for it without first plunking down "good money" and spending some time with it? (And besides, that's how Jahrome get down lol)

Not that there isn't a lot of hate against Maschine, but there's a whole lot of fanboy-ism too.

And to be honest I totally agree with him on the simplistic sampler. And no, VST support is not a fix for that. If it is, then most MPC sampling/editing shortcomings are also addressed by the fact that they have MIDI out...
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

I was thinking about this again today: This is Akai's last chance. Maybe the 5000 will be the last MPC ever made. Or they can do something that works as both a controller for MPC software on the PC --AND-- as a standalone: there's really no reason that can't work. I mean, you can buy a PC for $500. The MPC is really just a PC with a LOT less functionality. They should be able to make a new-generation MPC that works as a controller for its own PC-based software and as a standalone unit and sell it for the price of the 5000. Imagine the MPC that could run VSTs and VSTIs. Imagine some kind of "creativity mode" that limited the usable sample time to force creativity. You can do everything with the PC or without -- that is the way Akai can save the MPC brand. If it tries to make a new MPC in the old mold, it will go nowhere. I doubt they'll try that. My fear is that they'll just go to a straight-up controller, or maybe a Maschine clone. Come on, Akai -- give us the best of both worlds! Call it the MPC Infinity. Instant hit seller!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hey Stoneface. Very comprehensive and thorough review of the product! I know a lot of heads who are moving from MPC to Maschine, and the question is always - will this software controller out perform the time tested MPC? Most of the MPC users are saying Maschine is the next step.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
I think you reading too much into his post. For one, it certainly isn't hate. For two, how can he find out whether or not he cares for it without first plunking down "good money" and spending some time with it? (And besides, that's how Jahrome get down lol)
I think Ni (like most OEMs) did a decent job of explaining what the product can and can't do. But, even then, most folks will let you return hardware within 30 days or so. Maybe "Rhomy Rhome" can ball like that, but I'm a little more conservative with my funds. LOL. All the same, I think product works as advertised. No more, no less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
And to be honest I totally agree with him on the simplistic sampler. And no, VST support is not a fix for that. If it is, then most MPC sampling/editing shortcomings are also addressed by the fact that they have MIDI out...
Uhhhh....huh?!
Being able to use Battery INSIDE of Maschine gives you ALL of the same sound capabilities. Am I missing something?! (It wouldn't be the first time.)

I'm not a fanboy, but I think some folks are doing alright. NI, Spectrasonics and UA fall into that category. thumbsup
Old 27th December 2010
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think Ni (like most OEMs) did a decent job of explaining what the product can and can't do. But, even then, most folks will let you return hardware within 30 days or so. Maybe "Rhomy Rhome" can ball like that, but I'm a little more conservative with my funds. LOL. All the same, I think product works as advertised. No more, no less.
Yeah but there's always feature implementation peculiarities and workflow shortcomings that you really have to spend some time with a given unit to uncover. And sometimes reading the literature doesn't expose them. And in this case its a living product that will certainly be improved, which is different from most hardware that keeps the same feature set from day one (exceptions for third party OSes, etc. ). As for return policy, yeah sure...

Quote:
Uhhhh....huh?!
Being able to use Battery INSIDE of Maschine gives you ALL of the same sound capabilities. Am I missing something?! (It wouldn't be the first time.)
Yeah. Integration. How will you get samples from Maschine into Battery (or whatever plugin)? Can you edit Battery from Maschine's hardware interface? (Granted this problem is not limited to the specific combo of Maschine/Battery - all hosts and all plugin samplers have a similar lack of integration)

So its the same as the MPC, where if you need a more advanced sampler you can hook one up via MIDI (or buy JJ OS, but I digress...), but you lose the tight integration and workflow that the MPC's internal sampler offers.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Bro Jahrome, thanks for the info.
I did the same with Yamaha XS sequence timing problem and got attack by some Yamaha colt followers.
I believe the real way to compare a product is to own it, or have it in your possession to revue it.

I like the fact that people like Bro Jahrome, Saintjoe and others who work with both (Machine & MPC) could evaluate and compare the differences and most importantly ....(Keep it real).
I can trust that they are not trying to get a sale (undercover product worker) and they usually adresses the concerns that I have in terms of buying the product now, later, or never.

As far as Akai designing a better MPC with computer base integration, I would doubt that, it's not the same company that it once was.
Remember it took someone that don't work for the Akai company to wright a better OS than them, who was (JJ), and it would probably be that same if this was to happen.
Peace.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Hey Stoneface. Very comprehensive and thorough review of the product! I know a lot of heads who are moving from MPC to Maschine, and the question is always - will this software controller out perform the time tested MPC? Most of the MPC users are saying Maschine is the next step.
Thanks~ Maschine is kind of like the iPhone to me. They didn't invent anything new...they just took existing technology and put it into one package. Brilliant! If AKAI would drop an application that simply utilized modern technology and bridged the gap between hardware and software, it probably would be a no brainer. But....

Maschine has it's plus and minuses just like every other piece of gear I've ever owned. As someone else said...it works as advertised so I can't really ask for more than that.

1.6 is a game changer though...if it works!
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggmail View Post

Remember it took someone that don't work for the Akai company to wright a better OS than them, who was (JJ), and it would probably be that same if this was to happen.
Peace.
off topic....

I thought they were the same guys who made the crappy akai os. I read about it somewhere, can't remember where. Akai wanted a limited os so mpc users would have to buy more expensive models with more capabilities. But later on the same programmers wrote a better os. Could be wrong...

I think it's sad that Akai quality has gone worse with the newer mpc's. All the buttons in my 1k are so weak. Akai also seems to lack the programming skill the NI team has so... maybe if these two companies teamed up we could get a modern super mpc (with quality parts like old mpc's)heh
Old 28th December 2010
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMeek View Post
off topic....

I thought they were the same guys who made the crappy akai os. I read about it somewhere, can't remember where. Akai wanted a limited os so mpc users would have to buy more expensive models with more capabilities. But later on the same programmers wrote a better os. Could be wrong...
JJ is the guy who originally did the user interface and OS for the 1k and 2500 as a subcontractor to Akai Japan. Akai Japan folded and Akai US didn't pick up the japanese branch's obligations when they were bought out by Numark, so he didn't get paid for his work. He went out on his own, ostensibly to get his own paycheck, and the rest is history. Akai let him do his thing because it was a net plus for them. More sales, positive user experience, less support costs, and so on. I know I would never have bought the 1k if it wasn't for JJ OS. For JJ, he can afford to take a lot more risks with respect to developing the software than Akai (because he can bypass the big corporation software updating process), hence the rapid pace of software development and the multitude of new features and workflow enhancements.

As it pertains to future products, I don't know the sales figures, but I'm not sure the 5000 has been profitable enough for them to continue sending R&D funds down that alley. Their MIDI controllers, OTOH, have been very successful.

I think its a possibility that they partner up with someone to offer a challenger to Maschine, but I really doubt it comes out anywhere near as slick.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Bro MrMeek & mp3, thanks for that info.
I think we all agree, it would be a third party that would develop the MV, Machine type of computer integration with the MPC if it ever happens.
Probably some sort of external module first before it plugs into the computer (USB or Midi don't send monitor / video info) just storage and Midi info from the Akai MPC's. (We can't even find the MPC-1000 pad upgread kit from Akai, bad service)

I thought that ''BPM'' was hinting about it along with ''Beat Thing'' hardware with virtual, but then all went silent...Oh well.
Sorry for the off topic, it seems that ''One Thing Often Leads To Another...Lol.
Happy 2011 to you and your family's.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
On the speed of workflow you all should check out maschine loading from an SSD. I got a crucial C300 and it's rockin!!

Jahrome when you're talking about the sample editing, what are you missing? Is this more in chopping samples? I love how quick it is to trim the start and end on one shots. I'm not a big chopped sample guy, but the preview on the pads before committing is also really nice.

I have my PT maschine template setup with all the (14) out's assigned to inputs on audio tracks, then just monitor the tracks until they are good to go, and print them. Sounds kinda like the same thing you do with the MPC outs? I still prefer automation in the daw where it has all the quantizing etc.

I agree that some sort of groove capture/quantize would be nice, for me I'd love to see syncable advanced multi-stage EG's like omnisphere (or even Massive, but omni's kill massive IMO). . .

The library thing is a PITA, but once you bite the bullet and tag your personal library it works very well. At the end of the day maschine is like a lot of other NI products where they force you to work their way. Massive, reaktor, kontakt, absynth are all like this. . . not the most intuitive things out there, but really powerful and if you invest the time you can get proficient on them.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by godphaser View Post
They should implement a Geist like layering feature.
yea layering filter
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search