The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
When can you decline business? DAW Software
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

When can you decline business?

So I have this up and coming emcee from NY Ive been doing alot of tracking and mixing for. He's dope! But at the same time he's really young.

So today he hits me up to do a last minute real quick mix/mast (mixtape material) and send it back to him. So his vocals are 128 mp3 the instrumental is compressed to hell also 128 mp3 and the singer for the hook I have, go figure, 24bit individual wavs.

I know its gonna sound like **** so I tell him I need his wavs, untouched, from the studio he's currently at. This engineer supposedly tells him that mp3 is the way to go. I'm like "dude if your at the studio just have him send the wavs." SO I guess he bickers with the engineer then comes back like "it doesnt have to sound pro quality, good enough is ok.

Ummmm Help?

Its almost not even worth me powering on my gear for this.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear
I wouldn't touch it, if he doesn't care about quality he needs to find someone else to do the mixes.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

It's true, it is good enough. Peoples standards have gone way down.

I tell people the same thing but at the end of the day I can make an mp3 sound good. Just do your best and if you don't think it's up to par, tell them to take your name off it. (if it's even on there)

You could tell people in advance you have a no mp3 policy. Chances are they ripped it from the web anyway.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

The ripping beats from the web is one thing, the vocals, if recorded well are going to shine through and most people may even realize, "hey thats so and so's beat". The fact I understand Hip Hop as in Mixtape quality vs. Album quality I understand. But even then there "SHOULD" be a fine line. Usually I would just do it but this is the FIRST time Ive ever received vocals @ 128! At least there is some substance at 192. His whole stereo vocal track is less than a MB.
SMFH
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by db0007 View Post
The ripping beats from the web is one thing, the vocals, if recorded well are going to shine through and most people may even realize, "hey thats so and so's beat". The fact I understand Hip Hop as in Mixtape quality vs. Album quality I understand. But even then there "SHOULD" be a fine line. Usually I would just do it but this is the FIRST time Ive ever received vocals @ 128! At least there is some substance at 192. His whole stereo vocal track is less than a MB.
SMFH
I know, it's pathetic and I feel your pain. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to turn down work right now. I just tell them to send me the whole pro tools session so I don't have to worry about it.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear
You can advise people all you want, but at the end of the day if they want something you think isn't going to be great quality, then they want it. But consider this: who are you to tell them it won't be good enough for them? It's their project, not yours. If they will be fine with so-so quality, then that's a judgment call that only they can make.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

if you've warned them about the possible outcome of the mix due to the low quality source material they are sending, and they still want you to move forward, then you've done your due diligence, now get to work and earn that money!!!!

Seriously, unless you think your career is going to rise or fall on this credit then who cares? do your best work, let the chips fall.

One rule of thumb to consider. When you turn down a gig, someone else gets it, and quite possibly all of the other gigs that client needs done from that point on.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac
Why would an engineer with the mix in front of him arrange to send another engineer an mp3 instrumental through an artist?

The artist has probably (hopefully) been told mp3 is the way to go for mass-distribution of the finished product, otherwise...

The other engineer could be sabotaging this track to become the go-to guy later...

Maybe it's a non-exclusive licensed track from an online producer and mp3 is all they could download for now?

Or... just maybe there really is no other "engineer" prompting him and the artist is just embarrassed to admit he only has an low-quality mp3 instrumental to mix with.

Strange situation
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Im with ken. Get the money. but if the engineer thinks mp3 is the way to go then ask for 320.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

When can you decline business?

I generally only turn down work if it's for too low of a rate to be worth it, mostly for the reasons Ken listed. If they want me to mix Mp3's so be it!
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 View Post
I generally only turn down work if it's for too low of a rate to be worth it, mostly for the reasons Ken listed. If they want me to mix Mp3's so be it!
as far as "too low a rate" goes. I think its important to know what you are worth and to know what your absolute bottom line is before you get into any rate negotiation. If you dont know what your bottom line is, then you'll resent and regret having taken the gig later.

Also, knowing what you are worth sometimes means turning work down that doesnt pay enough. And sometimes the most powerful word you can use is "No", just be prepared to back it up and lose the gig, but hopefully if someone really wants to work with you then your "No" will turn into "well, ok, lets do it for X amount that works better for you".
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Yesterday he calls me to let me know he is working on getting the session then explains that the engineer that mixed the beat at "mp3 studios" did not want his work hindered??? Yea ok! lol Then mix the whole record, right?

So I respond "Ok I'll do it if you can send me the session, save the vocals at least. If it has to be mp3 let it be the LAST RESORT".

Now... Waiting on word back.

I'm not worried about losing this kids business I have roughly 100 sessions of his in at my spot. This whole 'No one cares about quality' era we are all in is terrible.

Edit* I'm surprised his manager lets this sh*t slide.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

The magic word is 'no'.

Don't be afraid to use it.

I used to, now I throw that mother down!

edit: Snap, Ken Lewis beat me to the punch!
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
as far as "too low a rate" goes. I think its important to know what you are worth and to know what your absolute bottom line is before you get into any rate negotiation. If you dont know what your bottom line is, then you'll resent and regret having taken the gig later.
+100 Know your worth! This applies to every aspect of your life!
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm surprised his manager lets this sh*t slide.
i'm sure the term "Manager" here is used very loosely to describe someone who describes themselves as a "manager" but in reality falls far short of the mark. Like people who refer to themselves as the "CEO" of their made up record company or production team. in order to be a CEO you need to actually have employees, alot of them, and earnings, etc.... I wonder if people who refer to themselves as such think that the people they actually say their title to arent thinking in the back of their mind "he just called himself WHAT???"
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I hardly ever turn down a gig. I agree with Ken 100%. Plus, I consider gigs like this as "practice" or a new challenge. I only get better from them.

The only time I turn a gig down is when the business is discussed up front, the client agrees to the terms, then wants to change it right before the money is due. That usually always ends up worse that what it's worth because they usually don't stop there.

Also, if someone is looking for a "deal" over a great job from a great engineer, I'll let them know I have a friend they can call who is much cheaper (almost free). I'll tell them: "this guy sucks, he's just starting out and doesn't really know what he's doing yet....it's not going to sound good at all, but since you are interested in a deal more than the final product, you should call him".
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Get your cash man. If he is a decent repeat client you may be able to speak with him at another date/time to advise him a bit more on quality. In this business you will learn real fast that some folks want what they want even if you don't agree with it.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
"it doesnt have to sound pro quality, good enough is ok"

Thats it there for me. You've done your part and advised the guy, made it clear what you really need and this was his response. Get the money I say. Unless the end result is going to lose you work... cant be that bad can it?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Turn it down.

Tell him you look forward to working with him again when the circumstance is right.

- c

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search