The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I believe I found the secret weapon! Equalisers (HW)
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

I believe I found the secret weapon!

Just got it in today.I now got my mixes, there! Why didn't you assholes tell me about this before.
Old 21st December 2010
Is this a joke (I only ask cuz these things have been around for decades; I guess I never considered them a "secret weapon")...?

If not, my apologies, and congrats on the new toy!

Careful not to get too carried away with it; it's really easy to use those things much more aggressively than you're realizing. Also, watch that you don't use it as a crutch or band-aid to get around problems that can be best fixed on a per track basis with simpler tools (eg - low-mid buildup, or even just simply throwing a high shelf on a track you wanna brighten).

EDIT: it's worth mentioning that the linked video is full of BS, so take it with a grain.

EDIT NO. 2: just finished watching that whole video. It's seriously really bad...almost everything the dude said is a crock (or at least, a gross oversimplification or half-truth). Yowza. Enjoy the new gadget, and ignore that video!!
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Is this a joke (I only ask cuz these things have been around for decades; I guess I never considered them a "secret weapon")...?

If not, my apologies, and congrats on the new toy!

Careful not to get too carried away with it; it's really easy to use those things much more aggressively than you're realizing. Also, watch that you don't use it as a crutch or band-aid to get around problems that can be best fixed on a per track basis with simpler tools (eg - low-mid buildup, or even just simply throwing a high shelf on a track you wanna brighten).

EDIT: it's worth mentioning that the linked video is full of BS, so take it with a grain.

EDIT NO. 2: just finished watching that whole video. It's seriously really bad...almost everything the dude said is a crock (or at least, a gross oversimplification or half-truth). Yowza.
No joke, I'm relatively new to mixing so i'm still learning a ton of things on a daily basis. I can definitely see how it can be something that is easy to over do.. but this has definitely increased the clarity mixes 10 fold.
Old 21st December 2010

What is it? Just says YouTube. I need to be let in on the secret.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Glad you like it.... I'll give you a few months before you decide its better off as a door stop! lol I've got one sitting on my garage floor now. Left it out in the rain once also..... That shows you what I think about it. Wouldn't even sell it on ebay because I didnt want to sucker anyone the way I got suckered! Easily one of the worst gear purchases in my early days. The only secret weapon with mixing is EXPERIENCE!!!
Old 21st December 2010

Oh!!!!! Hahaha! That's no secret...
I did so a few times on 2buss, then moved on...pretty quick. They have their uses but don't use them too much anymore.

If I remember right:
When they 1st came out you could only rent them and the company's rep would stay during session to make sure nobody opened it up. Had a seperate PS and analog meters.
Edit: this was the aphex aural exciter
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

It good for making super tight guitar sounds a´la Nickelback and if used in moderation it can polish up a mix.
And it´s very popular to use on speakers in commercials , trailers , documentaries etc.
But i mostly use the plugin instead of the hardware if i use it.
Old 21st December 2010

Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Just got it in today.I now got my mixes, there! Why didn't you assholes tell me about this before.
I think what everybody is trying to say (albeit however sarcastic) is that many in the audio community have viewed the BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer (Hardware version) as more of a 'sonic impediment' than a sonic enhancer.

However, always remember it is not about what everyone else says is hot; its the passion and creativity employed when using any sonic tool in a creative way that moves people.

So, while I would use the 882i in a way that is cognizant of what contemporary mixes and contemporary music demand, I would also not let anyone's 'dis' of the particular tools you like, dissuade you from your sonic vision.

I'm personally not a fan of the BBE Maximizer Line but it is you that is in the creative 'drivers seat' of your vision. Sometimes it better to keep some of your weapons 'secret'. Letting everyone in your sonic discoveries can be a 'vibe killer' second only to 'reality' itself.

- KS
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

If that's a secret weapon then wait until you discover the Aphex Aural Exciter. You can't Have a Sonic Maximizer without having one of those in the chain. LOL!
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Marriott View Post
If that's a secret weapon then wait until you discover the Aphex Aural Exciter. You can't Have a Sonic Maximizer without having one of those in the chain. LOL!
Wait till he finds the one with the big bottom

Thats HipHop
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

lol... I thought I were common Knowledge...

More seriously... yes, somethign you will probably use only sparingly after a while...

Always wondered what was in the blackbox...
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
lol, u r a cool moderator
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharemedy View Post
You CANT be serious,bro.
Thats a piece of garbage....toss it .
Its the remedy for a crap mix.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstackm View Post
I think what everybody is trying to say (albeit however sarcastic) is that many in the audio community have viewed the BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer (Hardware version) as more of a 'sonic impediment' than a sonic enhancer.

However, always remember it is not about what everyone else says is hot; its the passion and creativity employed when using any sonic tool in a creative way that moves people.

So, while I would use the 882i in a way that is cognizant of what contemporary mixes and contemporary music demand, I would also not let anyone's 'dis' of the particular tools you like, dissuade you from your sonic vision.

I'm personally not a fan of the BBE Maximizer Line but it is you that is in the creative 'drivers seat' of your vision. Sometimes it better to keep some of your weapons 'secret'. Letting everyone in your sonic discoveries can be a 'vibe killer' second only to 'reality' itself.

- KS
Fair enough. I know it's not easy to express tone over the internet but my first post wasn't that serious.

Either way yall can clown all you want, I do like the sound of this thing and i'm sticking with it. The greatest improvements in my sound were made when I stopped listening to what everyone said was hot and went with my own ears. Not to say that I don't take advice, i'm just very watchful of what I take in because there's a lot of horrible information out there. I'm still trying undo years of bad practices that I learned on forums like this. Anyway its not that big of a deal. *kanye shrug*
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
*kanye shrug*

haha got that from the new Trey Songz right??
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

most of the 'quality gain' you'll hear is just hyping the lows and highs in your mix fooling you into the 'omg this sounds so much better' syndrome.

bounce it down. import your maximized track, set them to the same percieved volume and come back after a short brake and 9 times out of 10 you'll be happy to get this item out of your signalpath.

the one time it works congrats! njoy it!
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
No joke, I'm relatively new to mixing so i'm still learning a ton of things on a daily basis. I can definitely see how it can be something that is easy to over do.. but this has definitely increased the clarity mixes 10 fold.
Well...I guess you can see from this thread that people have, er, mixed feelings about the things

But anyway, one important thing to do when comparing processed to unprocessed signals is make sure you're listening to volume-matched comparisons. The BBE will add some volume, which can fool you into thinking you've made improvements.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Guru

BBE also make plug-ins.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Just looked up a couple past GS threads on this thing and yea... It's really not getting any love here. I don't think its that bad.. or bad at all in fact. Maybe it just depends on what you are using it for... but I love what it does to my analog synths.
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
Just looked up a couple past GS threads on this thing and yea... It's really not getting any love here. I don't think its that bad.. or bad at all in fact. Maybe it just depends on what you are using it for... but I love what it does to my analog synths.
If it's working for you, that's all that matters. Don't sweat the negativity here; exciters got a bad rap cuz they started getting marketed as, well, "secret weapons" to amateur recordists, which probably caused the GS backlash. They're not inherently bad, and they can do some cool ****. I use bottom end exciters regularly myself, as do a number of mixers I know.

As with any tool, it's about learning when to use it, and more importantly, when NOT to.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Rule #1 - Do what works for YOU!

Regardless of what people say, if you use ANY tool to make your music sound better then it is a GOOD tool.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Its the remedy for a crap mix.
I think I'm getting this for Xmas from my wife.. Since I make crap mixes, it should be just the remedy!
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
I use bottom end exciters regularly myself, as do a number of mixers I know.
care to elaborate? are you referring to maxxbass and the like?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby32 View Post
haha got that from the new Trey Songz right??
trey songz didnt invent that shiit lol
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drollz View Post
I think I'm getting this for Xmas from my wife.. Since I make crap mixes, it should be just the remedy!
Haha I too am intrigued. Why not just buy this thing instead of learn how to mix well?

(take it easy, everybody. that was a little joke, voila)
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Used one of those exciters (bbe or aphex) on my very first major label mix about 15 years ago.

Needless to say those passes had to be reprinted and a VP of said label came to the studio the very next day and had an intern take the exciter (bbe or aphex) out the rack and he left with it.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopularDemand View Post
Used one of those exciters (bbe or aphex) on my very first major label mix about 15 years ago.

Needless to say those passes had to be reprinted and a VP of said label came to the studio the very next day and had an intern take the exciter (bbe or aphex) out the rack and he left with it.

lol! i used a bbe unit back in the day for a brief spell...definitely more suited to live sound than recordings in my experience.
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

thx remedy I've had one of these things wishlisted forever but I had always heard they werent that great for recording applications.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and order it soon
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

scratch that lol. Man. I just read the other posts. I had my hopes up

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search