The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I believe I found the secret weapon! Equalisers (HW)
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCricket View Post
Yay! An adult response! ]
Are you serious? you seriously joined this conversation to say that. Very adult.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
Are you serious? you seriously joined this conversation to say that. Very adult.
Sorry. However, If I didnt add anything after the first thing I said....that might put you on some level of being correct in your criticism.

Perhaps you missed the entire second sentence there. See, thats where you can see why I joined the conversation, to tell him to keep doing his thing. I dont see the need for the petty confusion, personally. I suppose I could have clarified more, very sorry.
Old 24th December 2010
I believe I found the secret weapon!

On another note I have 2 for sale if anyone intrested.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry. However, If I didnt add anything after the first thing I said....that might put you on some level of being correct in your criticism.

Perhaps you missed the entire second sentence there. See, thats where you can see why I joined the conversation, to tell him to keep doing his thing. I dont see the need for the petty confusion, personally. I suppose I could have clarified more, very sorry.
i just thought the "adult" comment was incredibly ******* of you. There has been plenty of very adult discourse in this thread until you got here. In fact, i'd pretty much say your comment was the least adult comment of the entire thread. It had nothing to do with you clarifying anything. your comment was crystal. Merry Christmas.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
i just thought the "adult" comment was incredibly ******* of you. There has been plenty of very adult discourse in this thread until you got here. In fact, i'd pretty much say your comment was the least adult comment of the entire thread. It had nothing to do with you clarifying anything. your comment was crystal. Merry Christmas.
Holy projection of personal bias and/or weirdness.

Hey Ken - if you got something you'd like to take me to task about or have some kind of problem with me, feel free.

Looks like what I said sure struck a nerve with you. Look....the thread was full of people basically disrespecting the OP...

The thread was FULL of people disrespecting the OP's endeavors.

Therefore, seeing someone finally post to tell the OP that his endeavors are in fact the correct thing to be doing as it will properly train his ears, was to a more adult response than had been posted previously. Now....we can both be adult enough to see what im posting here - good. Now all that needs to happen, is we'll see how my intentions fit within YOUR parameters of whats acceptable.

Ill also passive-aggressively add "Merry Christmas" as well.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Guru

This f*ckin guy...

I've seen people make an ass out of themselves, but this dude just took it to a whole other level. Wow.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Yall all really need to relax. Its not that big of a deal. First off my confidence isn't based on what a bunch of guys that I don't know on an internet message board think of me. Especially this one, which is notorious for people that don't know what they are saying.. not to say that some that posted here don't. obviously some do... But for the majority of opinions, I can give two ****s about. Half the dudes I check out, their music and i'm thinking.. am i really going to take advice from this guy.. really. That is in no way implying that i'm better, just that they're not any good lol.

I have no fear of being the outcast. Some of the greatest, musicians and inventors of our time were laughed at in the beginning for their ideas. I'll take it. As far as the disrespect, like I said earlier a bunch of wannabe's on the internet doesn't phase me..actually fuel by it, so keep it coming. Ras I hear what you're sayin, and I agree. It just shows a lack of maturity on their part.

I titled the thread the way I did because I knew it would bring all kinds of responses. Which it did thumbsup subconsciously it may have brought that extra hate fuel which i love so much.

On the real though, I still do like this thing for what i'm using it for. No one here can tell me nothing else...In the end I have 4 major placements, so I gotta be doing something right.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman

You CANT be serious,bro.
Thats a piece of garbage....toss it .
Its the remedy for a crap mix.
Are you kidding? The aural exciter is BRILLIANT for creating air and making up for harmonics that are lost or non-existant
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharemedy
Yall all really need to relax. Its not that big of a deal. First off my confidence isn't based on what a bunch of guys that I don't know on an internet message board think of me. Especially this one, which is notorious for people that don't know what they are saying.. not to say that some that posted here don't. obviously some do... But for the majority of opinions, I can give two ****s about. Half the dudes I check out, their music and i'm thinking.. am i really going to take advice from this guy.. really. That is in no way implying that i'm better, just that they're not any good lol.

I have no fear of being the outcast. Some of the greatest, musicians and inventors of our time were laughed at in the beginning for their ideas. I'll take it. As far as the disrespect, like I said earlier a bunch of wannabe's on the internet doesn't phase me..actually fuel by it, so keep it coming. Ras I hear what you're sayin, and I agree. It just shows a lack of maturity on their part.

I titled the thread the way I did because I knew it would bring all kinds of responses. Which it did thumbsup subconsciously it may have brought that extra hate fuel which i love so much.

On the real though, I still do like this thing for what i'm using it for. No one here can tell me nothing else...In the end I have 4 major placements, so I gotta be doing something right.
I'm going to stick up for you man. Nicely put! The first time I tried the aural exciter over a mix that desperatly needed air I was like 'holy ****'. I think some like to talk it down because it is such a nice tool, and others because they don't like the idea of they're elitist ground being impeded upon by a guy that can use something they don't want anyone to know about. Others because theyre rejects that have built their identify and sense of importance around "knowing it all" and trashing others that don't "get it like they do", ie the Simpson comicbook-man. They lose money, and that, my friend, is the name of the game. Good mixes largely impart do come from good gear, and someone that knows how to use it. I had the same reaction when I used the aural exciter!

Shine on
Old 25th December 2010

Sound is all an illusion that no 2 people see the same.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

"You CANT be serious,bro.
Thats a piece of garbage....toss it .
Its the remedy for a crap mix."

Hey.... y'all can think im just a big ol' jerk, but this was the kind of thing being said to the OP.

Im all about being more constructive than.....that. At the very least.

Sorry you dont like me, Rickrock. Im actually pretty decent and fair. Whether I judge things on a scale of actual talent at times.....

....Im sorry. I can only blame the other musicians who were rough on me bringing me up.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Holy projection of personal bias and/or weirdness.

Hey Ken - if you got something you'd like to take me to task about or have some kind of problem with me, feel free.

Looks like what I said sure struck a nerve with you. Look....the thread was full of people basically disrespecting the OP...

The thread was FULL of people disrespecting the OP's endeavors.

Therefore, seeing someone finally post to tell the OP that his endeavors are in fact the correct thing to be doing as it will properly train his ears, was to a more adult response than had been posted previously. Now....we can both be adult enough to see what im posting here - good. Now all that needs to happen, is we'll see how my intentions fit within YOUR parameters of whats acceptable.

Ill also passive-aggressively add "Merry Christmas" as well.
post #2, #3, #5, #6, #7, #9, #10, #12, #17, #18, #19, #22, #23, #28, #29, #30, #32, #33, #34, #35, #36, #37, #38, #39, #42, #43, #44, #45, #46, #47, #48, #50, #53, #54, #56, #57, #59, #60,

All of the above listed posts (and others) were quite mature and insightful before your "Yay! An Adult response!" comment. You cannot see how that might be offensive to all of the other people who've added valuable insights, opinions and experience to this thread? You could have sighted Stoneface's post with a "+1", or "great post", instead you chose the backhanded compliment that basically insulted virtually every other good post on this otherwise good thread. I am going to end my contributions to this thread right here so feel free to have the final word.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
post #2, #3, #5, #6, #7, #9, #10, #12, #17, #18, #19, #22, #23, #28, #29, #30, #32, #33, #34, #35, #36, #37, #38, #39, #42, #43, #44, #45, #46, #47, #48, #50, #53, #54, #56, #57, #59, #60,

All of the above listed posts (and others) were quite mature and insightful before your "Yay! An Adult response!" comment. You cannot see how that might be offensive to all of the other people who've added valuable insights, opinions and experience to this thread? You could have sighted Stoneface's post with a "+1", or "great post", instead you chose the backhanded compliment that basically insulted virtually every other good post on this otherwise good thread. I am going to end my contributions to this thread right here so feel free to have the final word.
Mutual respect shown for others right off the bat and out the gate says a lot. I suppose, Id had missed that through the majority of those posts.

Sorry. I suppose I thought the bulk of them were of an insulting or demeaning tone.

If anything can be my final word, thatd be perfect - "more mutual respect".

Its even relevant on a few levels here.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCricket
Sorry you dont like me, Rickrock. Im actually pretty decent and fair. Whether I judge things on a scale of actual talent at times.....
Bro, I don't care enough about you to like you or not like you. You need to get over yourself. I just thought you made quite the ass out of yourself with those couple of posts.
Old 25th December 2010
Here for the gear

How or where do u apply it in your mixing chain?

Check out my song I produced for Chuck D!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJik5-GMF4M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPeyQ9SdiOs
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have one of these exciters myself. I don't have the BBE, although I do have a copy of the plugin version. I do have the Aphex 104 type C2 with Big Bottom. I got it 10 (almost 11 now) years ago, back in my cassette tape days before I could afford to record digitally. Hahaha!!!! Anyhow, when I first got the Aphex, I used it on the entire mix. YES, it was definitely a learning process as far as learning how to properly use it and YES, it's definitely easy to go crazy with the controls and overdo it. At the time, I did like what I was hearing and what it did to the high end of my mixes.

Over a period of time, I listened back at those tapes with the exciter on the mix and compared them to the tapes without the exciter on the mix. After the comparison, I realized the mixes without the exciter sounded better. The mixes with the exciter sounded loud, but in a harsh kinda way. That's when I realized I overdid it on the knob settings. I then learned that the exciter works somewhat similar to compressed parametric eq (with no q control) on the high freqs and the 'Big Bottom' circuit acts as a compressor on the low freqs. As a result, I eventually just stopped using the exciter completely for a while and just spent time learning to mix and eq my tracks/instruments better so that I could get amazing results without the need for an exciter over the stereo output. I could probably obtain similar or better results with a multi-band compressor plug over a full mix as far as trying to master. The multi-band compressor way work in some cases as far as fixing a flawed mix. However, my goal is to always get a GREAT mix to begin with BEFORE mastering. I had to train my ears and learn to detect what really sounds good and what doesn't. That's why I don't use the exciter on a 2 bus or over an entire stereo mix.

Later on, I put the exciter back into use, but in a different way. I decided to experiment with it on vocals. Therefore, I patched one channel of the exciter in series with my preamp and compressor going into my DAW. With the controls on the exciter set to a resonable level, it does add presecence to the vocals and I've gotten some very good results going into my DAW. As a result, that's the way I have it set up now.

I still have an extra channel free on the exciter. Now that I think of it, I might just experiment with the 'Big Bottom' circuit and patch the other channel as an insert to my TR808 kick drum channel and see what that'll do. I wonder if the 'Big Bottom' on the exciter would extend the length of the decay of my 808 bassdrum (but in a compressed kinda way) without actually modifying the decay pot on my 808?

Yeah, I definitely gotta try that!!!!!

BTW, I didn't like what the BBE plugin was doing to the sound. Therefore, I don't use it.

All I can say to the OP is that EXPERIENCE is the key to making mixes sound good. Do what you think sounds good to you but keep in mind you tastes will change as you gain more experience and your ear develops further. What may sound good to you now might now sound as good 5 years from now. The interesting thing about mixing is the fact there's always something new to learn that can help you further improve the results for your current/future mixes. If the BBE actually does improve your mixes for you, then by all means USE IT!!!!!!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Anyone know if there's any noticeable difference between the 104 and 204 Aphexes? Like diff'rent noise levels or diff'rent sound?

Yeah, I like to spell diff'rent like that. Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis?
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

I remember thinking it was great when I first started. It helped me separate my sounds before I learned freqs for everything.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search