The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I believe I found the secret weapon! Equalisers (HW)
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear
I often use my Aphex exciter as a secret weapon. I don't give a FU*K what other people say about them.... they just don't know how to use them subtly and properly Plus, most people I see on GS dissing them don't get nearly as much work as I do
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Head

the secret weapon to ruining tone? well thats jsut my opinion, if it works for you, then crank that **** up! (after all, i let my mbox clip all day because i like how it makes vocals distort sometimes)
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharemedy View Post
Why didn't you assholes tell me about this before.
Have you ever tried SPL stuff? Vitalizer and Transient Designer. You may like them, too.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigen View Post
Have you ever tried SPL stuff? Vitalizer and Transient Designer. You may like them, too.
Now the SPL stuff is the truth... The hardware and software stuff is awesome!
Old 21st December 2010
I believe I found the secret weapon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoak

care to elaborate? are you referring to maxxbass and the like?
Maxbass and rbass. Also dig our outboard dbx units
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I recommend just getting a sweet mastering eq plugin like this one:

Sir Elliot Eighteen Band Graphic Equaliser | Sir Elliot

and try out the different bands and see how they affect your perception of the frequencies etc.

Load a reference (commercially mastered song, preferably in the same style of music you're working on) and see how they differ freq wise.

It won't tell you how the song was mixed or what they cut or boosted but it will be telling to how those frequencies sound on your mixes and how you can mix with those qualities in mind etc...

It isn't the end all be all in any case but I used to have a BBE unit a good while ago and now I don't miss it.

For two very specific reasons.

1) Mastering engineers really are worth it.

2) See reason number 1.

Peace
Illumination
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigen View Post
Love SPL stuff...interfaces are great, too!
Old 22nd December 2010
I myself actually just started to notice that my BBE is not as great as I thought it was when I got it this summer =/

Thinking about ditching it, tbh but not until I do a shootout with some vocals.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac
Quote:
No joke...this has definitely increased the clarity mixes 10 fold.
That setup with that finish is almost always a joke on GS.

Good One
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKG Productions View Post
The only secret weapon with mixing is EXPERIENCE!!!
DAMMIT!!!! stop telling them the real secrets. its the gear, not the experience. the gear, not the experience. All you need is a BBE is you are golden
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

the UBK Clariphonic is THE be all end all when it comes to doing what the BBE attempts to do. the Clariphonic is one of the best sounding and most transparent pieces of gear i've ever used.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
DAMMIT!!!! stop telling them the real secrets. its the gear, not the experience. the gear, not the experience. All you need is a BBE is you are golden

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Hey just trying to pay it forward.... I have been super interested in the UBK stuff just haven't had the ballz to pull the trigger you may have just pushed me over the edge...
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKG Productions View Post
ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Hey just trying to pay it forward.... I have been super interested in the UBK stuff just haven't had the ballz to pull the trigger you may have just pushed me over the edge...
The Clariphonic. i was lucky enough to get to borrow one of the prototypes before they went into full production. First time i used it, i was doing a mix at Platinum sound in NYC, and they have a SICK collection of outboard gear. I had been using a Manley Massive Passive across the mix buss. nothing drastic, but definitely noticeable and sounded excellent. so i patched in the Clariphonic across the mix bus as well and proceeded to A/B the Clariphonic directly against the Massive Passive. It was no contest. Dont get me wrong, it wasnt a HUGE difference, the Massive Passive is like a $4,000 EQ IT BETTER SOUND GREAT!!!! BUT, the Clariphonic sounded slightly more open on the top end, and it does this thing to the low to midrange that i cant really describe as anything but voodoo or magic because i dont know how i would dial that in with another box. and the Clariphonic retails for less than half the cost of a Massive Passive.

Now i'll grant you that the MP can do a zillion things that the Clari cant, but it cannot beat the Clariphonic at what its designed to do, which is really tone shaping, like the BBE, only for real.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

I just checked out a bunch of Kush Audio videos on youtube and was pretty impressed by the sound of the gear. Hopefully I will be the first person to own the fatso and clariphonic in China in the coming months =), was gonna go for an api2500, but that fatso sounds pretty good. If I do end up with an api 2500 instead, i'll be sure to have a clariphonic though =) i really liked what it did to the mids and highs, it had a very sweet and open sound, nice job Gregory.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatCrate View Post
I just checked out a bunch of Kush Audio videos on youtube and was pretty impressed by the sound of the gear. Hopefully I will be the first person to own the fatso and clariphonic in China in the coming months =), was gonna go for an api2500, but that fatso sounds pretty good. If I do end up with an api 2500 instead, i'll be sure to have a clariphonic though =) i really liked what it did to the mids and highs, it had a very sweet and open sound, nice job Gregory.
Hey Gregory,
you do realize that youtube probably shaves the majority of real high frequency content right?hehheh if you think it sounds good over youtube, i assure you the real thing will shock you. it shocked me, and i am not easily shocked when it comes to gearheh

Hey, i've been mixing some Chinese and Taiwanese major artists lately. Wonder if we've been on the same projects?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

BBE has that effect on New Users. When you first read and hear BBE Sonic Maximizer you'll go "OMG! so that's what I've been missing in my mixes", then when you get it - play around with it, stick it on everything (cos it's like the best thing ever) you soon realize that even though the mixes sound clear bright and punchy but it feels somewhat harsh. So you back off the the Process nob to try attenuate that "harsh" sound, but with the bbe process right down that "magic" is gone, cos when you A/B BBE (at low process levels) with the original, the original always sounds better imho.

Atleast that's what I found with BBE using the plugin version (round 3 years ago) I haven't used it since.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hey Gregory,
you do realize that youtube probably shaves the majority of real high frequency content right?hehheh if you think it sounds good over youtube, i assure you the real thing will shock you. it shocked me, and i am not easily shocked when it comes to gearheh

Hey, i've been mixing some Chinese and Taiwanese major artists lately. Wonder if we've been on the same projects?
Hey Ken,

I've worked on a couple things and did a few remixes a couple years ago, its absolutely absolutely absolutely not my cup of tea. The type of music found on asian major labels is usually ehhh, I can't stand it. I find that there is very little respect for music in all of asia, its treated as a very disposable thing, worse so then in the west. Within 3 albums, pop artist will release a hip hop album, a rock album then now an electro album. But if they are paying you good cash money for the mixes, well, take it, as they have plenty of it. Hell you should charge the Chinese artist in RMB, leave the money in the country, and just let it grow.

Now that your doing the mixes, hopefully we can hear a nice cracky snare or thumpy drum in a mainstream pop song, not the same old rimshot and lame ass kick from a typical drum kit. =) I'm actually working with investors to put in a large sum of money to invest in an indie label, basically scooping up all the artist ( hip hop, electro, indie rock ) that would generate no interest to a major, has major cult followings, but have no idea how to monetize from it. Trying to put a good chunk of cash behind it so these indie artist can have the opportunity to eat off their artform. The young locals are slowly but surely seeking out interest to alternative forms of music rather then the same ol sugary taiwan/canto pop songs.

sorry op for highjacking this thread.

btw, that cry track on your page is pretty fly as well as that black magic beat, excellent.
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Greenway View Post
Using exciters is like doing drugs. Don't overuse them. tutt
Or don't use them.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

clariphonic is amazing.
3 thumbs up
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatCrate View Post
btw, that cry track on your page is pretty fly as well as that black magic beat, excellent.
+1...what i want to know is why george lucas hasn't come after you like he did luke skyywalker
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoosticZoo View Post
BBE has that effect on New Users. When you first read and hear BBE Sonic Maximizer you'll go "OMG! so that's what I've been missing in my mixes", then when you get it - play around with it, stick it on everything (cos it's like the best thing ever) you soon realize that even though the mixes sound clear bright and punchy but it feels somewhat harsh. So you back off the the Process nob to try attenuate that "harsh" sound, but with the bbe process right down that "magic" is gone, cos when you A/B BBE (at low process levels) with the original, the original always sounds better imho.

Atleast that's what I found with BBE using the plugin version (round 3 years ago) I haven't used it since.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
I'm at day 3 with this thing and I'm still liking it.. even after level matching. It seems that most of the hate is towards this outboard in particular and not the type of outboard? Even if I do eventually find that the sound isn't so great on this device what I generally meant in my first post is that an exciter is what I haven't messed with yet.

For now it sounds good to me, I don't care what anyone says.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
If it sounds good, it IS good.

BTW - most people bash these exciters because of using them heavy-handed on the 2buss. Granted, that is what they were INTENDED for, but IMO they are more useful for certain things. I usually set up my Aphex on the insert of a group buss and I'll send certain things to it... using it kind of like an EQ.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm at day 3 with this thing and I'm still liking it.. even after level matching. It seems that most of the hate is towards this outboard in particular and not the type of outboard? Even if I do eventually find that the sound isn't so great on this device what I generally meant in my first post is that an exciter is what I haven't messed with yet.

dude, one of the keys to great mixing is experience. you are getting some your experience with that box. soak it in.

For example, McDSP plugins, other people swear by them. I hate them. And I rarely ever use my Oxford plugins, for other people it is their staple. There are a million and one ways to manipulate audio. If you've found something that inspires you, GREAT. run with it. be inspired! but hey, just a thought, try not to call us assholes on your opening line
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoak View Post
+1...what i want to know is why george lucas hasn't come after you like he did luke skyywalker
ummmmm....... do you remember their videos? I dont think i'm quite defiling the name as much as them......... yet
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

On a side note, for ppl that own nebula, There's a dude selling very nice enhancer programs, Mixing, Mastering Audio Services|Transcending Music Studios I got the mysonmax (probably sampled from the BBE or another similar device) and find it usefull, it's pretty cheap too.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
dude, one of the keys to great mixing is experience. you are getting some your experience with that box. soak it in.
From engineers that I trust, they would say the same thing. They would also add that what you're hearing from exciters is something that will allow you to mix at that level and beyond once you've "heard" it and familiarized yourself with it. Imagine creating mixes that sound as good as the exciters initially sound to you but without artifacts. Just raw mixing talent...at this stage...you'll be able to say..."I get it!". You may not be world class...but "getting it" is the beginning of a whole new world of mixing.

It takes ballz to post something that you know people will flame. Respect! As was said...if it inspires you...go with it. Lord knows Hip-hop is lacking inspiration.

I like Chris Carters suggestion too...damn you!!! fuuck Don't make me buy one to try it! heh

Keep us updated on the progress!
Old 23rd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
You CANT be serious,bro.
Thats a piece of garbage....toss it .
Its the remedy for a crap mix.
hahaha, the remedy! heh
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

the bbe stuff is fine if used properly. best advice: don't run your entire mix through it. try using it in moderation with sub-bass hits/bass-drums/basslines, etc.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

Secret weapon??? secret weapon is practicing and stiil studying
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface View Post
From engineers that I trust, they would say the same thing. They would also add that what you're hearing from exciters is something that will allow you to mix at that level and beyond once you've "heard" it and familiarized yourself with it. Imagine creating mixes that sound as good as the exciters initially sound to you but without artifacts. Just raw mixing talent...at this stage...you'll be able to say..."I get it!". You may not be world class...but "getting it" is the beginning of a whole new world of mixing.

It takes ballz to post something that you know people will flame. Respect! As was said...if it inspires you...go with it. Lord knows Hip-hop is lacking inspiration.

I like Chris Carters suggestion too...damn you!!! fuuck Don't make me buy one to try it! heh

Keep us updated on the progress!
Yay! An adult response!

To The Remedy, keep using what you feel is best. As mentioned, it'll train your ears how do things without that plug and show you what to look for.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search