The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
rap vocals over dubstep beats Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

rap vocals over dubstep beats

I've heard a lot of UK rappers going in over dubstep beats...

look at "grime" artists like skepta and kano for examples

How do they get their vocals to sound so strong and clear while rapping extremely fast over the powerful bass of dubstep beats?

If you listen to skepta you can hear every syllable distinctly and his rap parts sound like they belong in the song...not like they were thrown on...if that makes sense

...i mean they aren't rapping as fast as say Twista...but it must be pretty difficult to mix the vocals with dubstep beats

How would you guys go about mixing "grime" vocals with hard hitting dubstep tracks?
Old 21st December 2010
T1M
Gear Maniac

this is an excellent question, ive been wondering that myself for quite some time.

perhaps people need some examples though...

Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Its not that hard to mix vocal dubstep. Especially in skepta's and kano's tracks they arent using huge reeces which take up a lot of space in the frequency spectrum. As most of those tunes are drums, a fat sub and a few melodic synths there isnt much of a battle for space.
Lots of the dubstep sounds are pretty wide, leaving space in the middle for the vocals. Its all in the arrangement.
If in doubt process the synths in m/s and drop a few db 1k-8k on the middle channel. That'll definitely open up some space.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

How bout some west coast dougie over dubstep. My first dubstep track btw.

Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias schuch View Post
Its not that hard to mix vocal dubstep. Especially in skepta's and kano's tracks they arent using huge reeces which take up a lot of space in the frequency spectrum. As most of those tunes are drums, a fat sub and a few melodic synths there isnt much of a battle for space.
Lots of the dubstep sounds are pretty wide, leaving space in the middle for the vocals. Its all in the arrangement.
This .. I don't do a lot of vocals or anything but the vox have a lot of space to do their thing usually especially in that Kano track.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRACKPIPE View Post
How bout some west coast dougie over dubstep. My first dubstep track btw.

Good first attempt there... for some strange reason.. listening to it reminded me to check the oil in my car. heh
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post
Good first attempt there... for some strange reason.. listening to it reminded me to check the oil in my car. heh
What the????? hahaha!
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
If in doubt process the synths in m/s and drop a few db 1k-8k on the middle channel. That'll definitely open up some space.
+1 on some cool points for this dude. I was actually just working on a track that leaned toward that dubstep sound and I was wondering if it would end up in the ("cool, but can't use it") pile
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias schuch
yeah I gotta echo this. I go to a comp in north west london and I went studio with a guy who raps over dubstep, the panning was mad, I could hardly believe it
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
What the????? hahaha!
haha, its grinding bro, if thats you're first, you have some good things comin up no doubt
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
haha, its grinding bro, if thats you're first, you have some good things comin up no doubt
Thanks, bro but full disclosure, it's my first dubstep, not my first beat. Nice encouragement tho. I'll stick wit it.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, bro but full disclosure, it's my first dubstep, not my first beat. Nice encouragement tho. I'll stick wit it.
Haha, yeah mate it was obvious that you weren't new to production, I didn't mean for it to sound like that.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Our Dub Rap Vol. 1 Mixtape has gotten over 10k downloads and gotten great critical reviews. It's been out longer than Dubstep LA btw. Here's a song from it as well as a link to where you can download it for free.

http://www.dubrap.com

Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

IMO this is how vocals should sound with dubstep:

YouTube - Foreign Beggars & Noisia - No Holds Barred - Excision rmx Official Video
&

YouTube - Flux Pavilion - Lines In Wax (feat. Foreign Beggars)
The vocals sit in the mix, not ontop of it.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha, yeah mate it was obvious that you weren't new to production, I didn't mean for it to sound like that.
hahha werd
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
IMO this is how vocals should sound with dubstep
to me that is just one style of how it can be done. and that is much more of an english sound to the whole thing. if were talking about putting american style raps over dubstep beats i think it's a whole different thing. both are good tho just different approaches
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

English vocals yes. Excision is from Canada and imo he doesnt sound like uk dubstep.

Just because its american style doesnt mean it has to sit ontop of the music. Respect to you for your mix tape doing well (i like it, there are some great verses in there), but it still sounds like a mixtape. Different approaches for sure, your stuff is great at a hip hop show, but (imo) not so much if a dj is going to drop it.

another good example:

and even this heh

&
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
English vocals yes. Excision is from Canada and imo he doesnt sound like uk dubstep.

Just because its american style doesnt mean it has to sit ontop of the music. Respect to you for your mix tape doing well (i like it, there are some great verses in there), but it still sounds like a mixtape. Different approaches for sure, your stuff is great at a hip hop show, but (imo) not so much if a dj is going to drop it.
Thanks, in honesty I mix more in a hip hop style. I would say that hip hop and rap has the vocals sitting on top of the beat more. The vocals are very important. I wouldn't say that my stuff sounds like a mixtape though, if you have heard most mixtapes even big budget ones the quality is definitely not up to par. I think that for modern rap music the vocals are supposed to be in the front of the mix and that is how I mix my stuff. The other stuff isn't putting the emphasis on the vocals more of the vocals being part of the beat I'd say.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Yeah, i hear ya for sure.

Ok, i'll give you that (and take back my statement about it sounding like a mixtape, i was being a bit hasty with that comment) as i agree, a lot of mixtapes do sound like **** and your stuff does not.

I agree that the others have the voice as more a part of the music, but that doesnt mean that it isnt the focal point of the track. If you listen to katy perry, rihanna etcetc the voice/hooks are the most important element in those tracks and are loud, but dont sit ontop of the beat.

Either way, its all good ****!
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

For sure man, I've learned a lot doing this project and the part 2 is pretty highly anticipated although on the next one I'd love to get all original beats or ones that are licensed to be used on it. Not sure if that's gonna happen though. Either way I love dubstep music and hope to hear it incorporated more into rap music.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKI View Post
For sure man, I've learned a lot doing this project and the part 2 is pretty highly anticipated although on the next one I'd love to get all original beats or ones that are licensed to be used on it. Not sure if that's gonna happen though. Either way I love dubstep music and hope to hear it incorporated more into rap music.
Dude you need to get at me. Local dubstep connect. Gotta album I'm bout to release with my homie from Portland all original dubstep beats with some remixed + original raps but trying to get with like minded folks in the Bay. Gotta project in the works with my homies from Sac too.

Lets build.
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post
Gotta say, this right here is infact Grime and not Dubstep. Huge difference here in the UK.

I'm not really a fan of rap over Dubstep beats. I'm not sure what it is but it really doesn't mesh right with me, Grime on the other hand, well that's designed perfectly for rap.

There is a few songs I do like however, such as

Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
IMO this is how vocals should sound with dubstep
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search