The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC2kXL Upgrade From Zip - Need Advice from the MPC Heads
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

MPC2kXL Upgrade From Zip - Need Advice from the MPC Heads

Hey all,

My MPC just chewed up and spat out the disk that I saved all of the breaks from last nights session on. T\It was one of a bunch of sec hand disc's that I grabbed and I have been having this sort of problem with a few of them (click of death).

While its probably my own fault for buying old disks, I basically want ... no.. I really, really need to upgrade from the zip drive. Its the only thing I don't like about the MP.

I am looking at upgrading to a card reader. Really only need 2-4gig. I am hoping that its a straight swap out and hear (from the scusi for samplers page) that I need to change back to 1.14 OS.

What am I losing here?

Also, am I able to drag and drop via the PC (XP PRO OS) without issue once formatted? Thats important to me.

Basically, I'm posting up because there are bound to be some people here that have trial & errored this stuff and I would really like some feedback and advice before I drop the dollars.

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

no one? I used the search function and everything
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

I just put in a card reader from mpcstuff.com, the "kit" is not exactly a full fit.
some of the screw holes are misalligned, and the instructions are lacking I have to take it apart again, and change the ribon cable. I let you know if it works looks great though.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I bought one for like $20, it comes without the bracket to make it look nice for about $4. Any IDE to CF reader should work. You don't loose any functionality with the exception that it is not hot swappable. I believe people have figured out how to do it. You need to have all your sounds you need when you start, which shouldn't be all that hard if you are coming from zip disks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search