The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using 'mic in' to sample 'line in' signals Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Using 'mic in' to sample 'line in' signals

I always got a distorted signal on my asr-10 sampling from a record player, whether I was switched to line in or mic in. I have concluded that my asr-10 is permanently jammed in to the 'mic on' position, regardless of which way my switch appears to be pointing.

My way of working around this has been to run my record player through a small behringer mixer (and reducing the volume on that) before sampling via 'mic in' into the asr-10.

My question is whether this, from a technical standpoint, is likely to be damaging the quality of the sound? Some will say 'use your ears' - well I have used them and I cannot discern a difference in quality. But given my learner driver status that doesn't mean there isn't a difference!

So I'm wondering if the gurus know anything about this from a techincal standpoint.

My thinking was that since, apparently, the 'mic in' boosts volumes generally by 40 dbs, that if I were to reduce the incoming volume from my record player (via the mixer) by 40 odd dbs and continue to sample thru the 'mic in' then it should be ok.

I'm in New Zealand so sending an 80kg keyboard to Thesoniq over in the US isn't really an option.

On an unrelated note, I hope the dude Mike Dean and other experienced people sticks around, it was cool seeing inside Kanye's makeshift maschineless Australian studio, seeing the mpc 2000xl and asr-10 over there in the corner. Have people not heard the phrase 'don't bite the hand that feeds you!?' I have known certain internet forums that were once great places to die off for various reasons. Lets not have it happen to this place! Re: the album - dope beats, dope rhymes, boom bap for the masses.

Cheers people
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

my best guess is that you're going to be getting more noise in the signal, as i'd sort of assume the preamp stage in the asr isn't fantastic quality, so since it's boosting a signal by such a massive amount internally, you're going to get a lot more noise than if it weren't doing any kind of gain staging (such as if it were being fed a line level signal).
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict
Are you sure its the ASRs fault? Have you tried to sample from a different source than your turntable? What kind of cable do you use?
I recommend that you really make sure that its the fault of the ASR.

If its really the switch maybe one of your family/friends can solder on a new switch or clean it.

peace
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

cheers for the responses

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's the asr's mic/line in switch, as regardless of what I plug into the asr, its distorting. And the switch does appear to be jammed permanently into 'mic' position.

I don't think the previous owner was using it for sampling - it was up at a radio station, I think they made corny jingles on it. Could be that the thing has never been switched into 'line' position for 17 years.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

2 preamps in series to eachother is the basic formula for distortion, distortion pedals, signal breakup etc. so if you lower it in the mixer it should be workable, but the fidelity will be less clear because you are going from one preamp into another...sampled sound will be more like if you are running audio through a distortion pedal but the distortion effect is almost all the way off. still a little noisy and compromised.
id open that sucker up and jump the switch back or board traces back to line. cant be that tough to do.
Old 20th December 2010
Are you using a phono preamp anywhere in the chain?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Are you using a phono preamp anywhere in the chain?
Yep - the chain is:

record player (stanton) -- phono preamp on an old Phillips stereo amplifier -- mixer (to reduce volume) -- asr-10.

cheers!
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmean View Post
sampled sound will be more like if you are running audio through a distortion pedal but the distortion effect is almost all the way off. still a little noisy and compromised.
id open that sucker up and jump the switch back or board traces back to line. cant be that tough to do.
Ok man, thanks for the advice. Did a google search for 'board traces' and I'm a bit scared to attempt anything like that! I could try jumping the switch back or maybe take it into the tv/microwave repairman to have a go.

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search