The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hudson Mohawke sound Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hudson Mohawke sound

hey slutz,

I have been listening to a lot of hudmo stuff recently and although it follows the conventional glitch type production i love the flips on the vocals and he synth bass lines coupled with FM type poly synths.

How do you guys think that type of sound is achieved? Very interested in particular to the sounds of the synths and vocals. I use ableton fyi.

Thanks!
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

Occasionally I will play a couple of his tracks when I dj some more trip hop/obscure left field hip hop based nights and his stuff is always COMPRESSED TO DEATH, the entire waveform is one big block with no dynamics. Kid is very talented though, beat matching his stuff is a nightmare lol.
Old 19th December 2010
Here for the gear

Hudson Mohawke said in an interview that he only used a laptop and FL studio to drop the "butter" album along with recording sounds he makes himself - clapping, spitting, etc. I have NO IDEA where he gets those vocal tracks though, dying to find the originals if they even exist

Bleep Interviews Hudson Mohawke | Bleep Blog
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I understand how the production arrangement is created have a special insight into that was more intrested in the mixing process. It is the same over a lot of the warp records distributions. I also know that the initial song arrangement sounds nothing like the finished product. The synths seem to be so very bright and the verb or whatever is used on the vocal tracks really cuts through the mix.
Old 1st July 2011
LCP
Gear Nut

buuuump for this

can someone also tell me how to get your drums this hard hitting sound??
Old 5th July 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
hey slutz,

I have been listening to a lot of hudmo stuff recently and although it follows the conventional glitch type production i love the flips on the vocals and he synth bass lines coupled with FM type poly synths.

How do you guys think that type of sound is achieved? Very interested in particular to the sounds of the synths and vocals. I use ableton fyi.
I really really like his synth leads and stabs. My first guess was definitely FM but in a TLOBF interview he said he only a Ensoniq VFX, a Roland W30, and a Korg M50. I'd also be really interested in any thoughs anyone might have on how to produce sounds in a similar vein to those found in some of the songs on Butter.

Thanks!
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCP View Post
buuuump for this

can someone also tell me how to get your drums this hard hitting sound??
Use hard hitting drums.

Stop polishing turds. Start off with good content.
Old 6th July 2011
LCP
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 View Post
Use hard hitting drums.

Stop polishing turds. Start off with good content.
any help finding sounds like that

i got urban fire vol 1-5

which is def nothing like this

where do you get those kinds of samples?
Old 6th July 2011
Hobbs_Won
Soon as I heard this a few years back.... I was sold on the dude.... he is just plain sick.

Old 8th July 2011
LCP
Gear Nut

cant wait
Old 8th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

cant wait
Agreed this album is gonna be off the chain! He uses mostly vinyl rips for sounds. A lot of the vocals and samples are just early 2000's r&b from the sound.

Like if you try a horace brown accapela. Warp it then slice it into one bars. Play around playing full bar and moving a long you get a very similar output.

His drum programming is slick though! simple as.
Old 8th July 2011
LCP
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
Agreed this album is gonna be off the chain! He uses mostly vinyl rips for sounds. A lot of the vocals and samples are just early 2000's r&b from the sound.

Like if you try a horace brown accapela. Warp it then slice it into one bars. Play around playing full bar and moving a long you get a very similar output.

His drum programming is slick though! simple as.
can you name any of his samples??I cant find any, seems like nobody can
Old 8th July 2011
Hobbs_Won
yea I would never have thought him to use samples....sounds like some bangin drums and synths on top of synths..most of his stuff at least
Old 9th July 2011
Lives for gear

i really have a hard time with the newer warp stuff.. i dunno why, but i just dont 'get it'. i miss the days of autechre and boc, etc.
Old 10th July 2011
LCP
Gear Nut

this Together - so much love to give remix sounds awesome

wish i could find a mp3

starts a 5:45
Old 11th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won View Post
yea I would never have thought him to use samples....sounds like some bangin drums and synths on top of synths..most of his stuff at least

He does use a lot of FM synthesis type sounds. Very 80's poly sounding. He definately uses many samples. Especially for his Vocal cuts. Let's not forget this is an ex DMC finalist. Standard DJ and sampling methods are kind of part of his music education. Like i said I have noted samples used as the artist Tweet among other R&B artists. A lot of samples are not going to be identifiable as they are chopped pitched screwed and sometimes looped for only half and quarter bars. The effect is the same. If i wanted to go this route i would be searching the bangers from the early 2000's end of 90's :D. Drums mostly sound like rips from vinyl or other audio just programmed nicely - I'm sure he plays drums. Either way i did a search on youtube for 'hudson mohawke 2011'. One of results was him at some festival - one of the links on first page of search. About half way you hear a new track that is just incredible. I would find link but cant access this page from work. Check it out!
Old 11th July 2011
LCP
Gear Nut

any tips for a noob on how to program drums nicely???
Old 13th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
any tips for a noob on how to program drums nicely???

Loads dude. If you dont want to play out patterns learn and mess with what tempo can do. Ie if you begin to program a 2 bar loop at 140 the sound will be significantly different to that programmed at say 90 (lil faster).

Understand how a kick and snare placement on a grid can create impact. Mess around with kicks and snares. Note the value of adding percussion.

Although some grounded elements can be quantised natural groove comes from hats etc being played as oppposed to placed.

Mess around with dynamics. This can have a significant effect. Learn real drum rudiements such as diddle flams and drags. Incoorporate this into your sound. Learn to program fills. Lots of tricks can be applied with effects and envelope manipulation. learn to resample and manipulate audio as well as Midi. Understand the impact of adding groove.

Mess around with small changes in note position by taking midi off the grid.

The list goes on. Then we get into sound selection. understanding frequency and impact of drums. The relationship between bass and drum.

Saturation/bit reduction and distortion etc..

If you have a more specific question perhaps i can help.
Old 13th July 2011
Here for the gear

iv heard from a reliable source that he uses this for almost all his drums:

YouTube - ‪Addictive Drums Tutorial 1 - Introduction‬‏
Old 13th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbybo View Post

For almost all, What reliable source is that then? I'm not sure i know where to start. i'm sure he may have used or even sometimes uses - but a lot of his drums are clearly vinyl or other samples.
Old 14th July 2011
LCP
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbybo View Post

damn!! i just got this a few days ago and was thinking he must use this program or something very similar. not for all his tracks but the ones which sound more like they were played by a drummer like Black N Red
Old 19th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
any help finding sounds like that

i got urban fire vol 1-5

which is def nothing like this

where do you get those kinds of samples?
try the demo for 6! a lot closer to this sound! (urban fire volumes progress in sound just as fads do for that time period)
Old 2nd August 2011
Here for the gear

you can hear addictive drums in a few tracks on butter... rising 5 esp.

this is the my JOINT tho! (drop at 46 seconds) again sounds like AD?

Old 2nd August 2011
Lives for gear

Most of his stuff is too hard for me to listen to, but when he dumbs it down... it's FIRE

artists are queueing up to use his beats... Kanye and Chris Brown included
Old 2nd August 2011
LCP
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyhill View Post
you can hear addictive drums in a few tracks on butter... rising 5 esp.

this is the my JOINT tho! (drop at 46 seconds) again sounds like AD?

rising 5?? what kit would that be??i think he use the 70s kit in ice viper maybe not sure though.

hes also gonna be on benji b this week and he always drops some jewels on radio mixes especially on benjis show. cant wait...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search