The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
re DJ Premier's Get Used To Us compilation Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

re DJ Premier's Get Used To Us compilation

so, i just purchased the new primo compilation album from iTunes. I've only given it a listen once-through, but actually liking it a lot... it, for def, has that vintage primo sound and most of the emcees step up to the plate. refreshing to hear some raw sampled boom bap in an era where there's an overload of synthy (bordering on clinical sounding) stuff. now, i'm not sure if it's only me, but i find the drums (and by implication, the tracks) are not mixed (perhaps even mastered) with the same bap/smack as, say, the moment of truth album. i've even played some of the songs from both albums back to back and find this to be the case. NOW, i did import the moment of truth from my CD onto iTunes and the new album was directly bought from the iTunes (online) store. perhaps that has something to do with it??? still feeling the album though..pity they didn't include any cover and liner notes
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

ps. so far i've only listened to the album on my headphones (Sennheiser HD280PRO)
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

no, you're right, the drums aren't particularly hard on this album. There are some great sounds though. The drums aren't necessarily hard on all the tracks by, say, J Dilla or Black Milk's stuff either.

I don't know if that's a mastering decision or what. It's not like Premier has to think "what will this sound like on national radio? what will the record company marketing department say?"
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

It's not recorded to tape. Pro tools only. Still sounds great IMO
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

@ binary - for def cool sounds and i agree not all drums are hard on all hip hop projects. i think my question was possibly also about whether CD imports (as wav files) over iTunes purchased tracks (mp3, i think) might have had something to do general loudness of the tracks and how i have heard the songs.

@ terry - i think you're right re not having laid it down to tape..and i wasn't necessarily complaining, was just something i had noticed (in relation to moment of truth).

listened to the album again and liking it more with each listen...
Old 17th December 2010
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaltern View Post
@ binary - for def cool sounds and i agree not all drums are hard on all hip hop projects. i think my question was possibly also about whether CD imports (as wav files) over iTunes purchased tracks (mp3, i think) might have had something to do general loudness of the tracks and how i have heard the songs.

@ terry - i think you're right re not having laid it down to tape..and i wasn't necessarily complaining, was just something i had noticed (in relation to moment of truth).

listened to the album again and liking it more with each listen...
Primo saud himself the D&D was repaired\rebuilt quite seriously when it became HeadQCourterz so the acoustics (the lows especially) might have get different (hence monitoring conditions too).
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

beats are ok, drums sound generic but it's worth a listen.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon FP View Post
beats are ok, drums sound generic but it's worth a listen.
Generic funny way to describe Prems drums sounds heh especially when you compare then to the abundance of stocks sounds used within todays production. But we are all entitled to our own opinion i guess.
Old 17th December 2010
g22
Lives for gear

It can sound different from moment of truth because he recorded that to tape, and this to pro tools. You cant ignore that, the two just sound different.

Also, you shouldn't judge it based on a compressed mp3, if thats what you downloaded. Unless you listened to a wav file or cd, its not really an accurate review of his work, because he likely didn't intend for it to sound how it sounds on an mp3.

I haven't heard either format yet, so I'm not saying your wrong, but just that mp3's can be deceiving.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

@ g 22 - i absolutely agree with you re mp3 quality..and most importantly, the album's quite banging ;-)
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

I bought it on Amazon mp3. Honest assessment: In 2010, it's great. But if it had come out 10 years ago, it would have been a disappointment. I listened to The Ownerz directly after listening to Get Used To Us and there's really no comparison. The beats aren't as hard (mp3 to mp3), but mostly, the emceeing is really lacking. Primo should tighten up his roster. Khaleel is the real weak link, and he has two tracks. Nick Javis? Not sure about him, but he's not blowing me away, that's for sure.

So am I upset I purchased it? NO. Because even though it doesn't hold a candle to good **** coming out 10 or 15 years ago, I DO need new music every once in a while. This was my opinion on Wu-Massacre, too, by the way. Even though they're not as good as his previous albums, the beats on Get Used To Us still merit a 4.5/5, I'd say, or a solid 4 if not. It's good just to have some new Primo beats.

Funny thing: When I first searched for it on Amazon, nothing came up, but it was clear other people were searching for it. Then I found it a few days later and bought it. Now I just went to check when the CD & vinyl are coming out, but the item has disappeared from the Amazon inventory again.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drollz View Post
I bought it on Amazon mp3. Honest assessment: In 2010, it's great. But if it had come out 10 years ago, it would have been a disappointment. I listened to The Ownerz directly after listening to Get Used To Us and there's really no comparison. The beats aren't as hard (mp3 to mp3), but mostly, the emceeing is really lacking. Primo should tighten up his roster. Khaleel is the real weak link, and he has two tracks. Nick Javis? Not sure about him, but he's not blowing me away, that's for sure.

So am I upset I purchased it? NO. Because even though it doesn't hold a candle to good **** coming out 10 or 15 years ago, I DO need new music every once in a while. This was my opinion on Wu-Massacre, too, by the way. Even though they're not as good as his previous albums, the beats on Get Used To Us still merit a 4.5/5, I'd say, or a solid 4 if not. It's good just to have some new Primo beats.

Funny thing: When I first searched for it on Amazon, nothing came up, but it was clear other people were searching for it. Then I found it a few days later and bought it. Now I just went to check when the CD & vinyl are coming out, but the item has disappeared from the Amazon inventory again.
good assessment, drollz. however, in all fairness, the chemistry between preem and guru was really on another level. to compare newbies (who are trying to make a mark and find their voice/feet) to gangstarr, might be a tad unfair. also, in my opinion, group home weren't necessarily killer emcees ;-) every now and again preem works with folks who are either his peoples or for whatever other reason, but 9 times out of 10 the vibe works even if the emcees are less impressive.

weird re amazon tho, but glad you finally did get it..
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

and yes, it doesn't make the weak links better emcees ;-)
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Preem's room is almost exactly the same structurally as it was in the D&D days, the A room has been redesigned (Live room & control room were switched to make it more hospitable) but he hasn't done anything to his room at all...

I love the way the rooms sound here...he mixed the project entirely himself tho (to my knowledge) Ownerz & MOT were done by Eddie Sancho, so theres going to be a little different sound than his previous work.

Charles Roane mastered it in the A room...
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

damn man.. i wish you could could get him to come on here and do a Q&A session. that'd be a ****ing dream for even the best of us.
Old 18th December 2010
g22
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
damn man.. i wish you could could get him to come on here and do a Q&A session. that'd be a ****ing dream for even the best of us.
+1.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
KO-SINE!! pun intended ;-)
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 View Post
Preem's room is almost exactly the same structurally as it was in the D&D days, the A room has been redesigned (Live room & control room were switched to make it more hospitable) but he hasn't done anything to his room at all...

I love the way the rooms sound here...he mixed the project entirely himself tho (to my knowledge) Ownerz & MOT were done by Eddie Sancho, so theres going to be a little different sound than his previous work.

Charles Roane mastered it in the A room...
not to take anything away from preem's mixing skills, but perhaps he shoulda let eddie mix this one with him..woulda been a great advert for the studio too ;-)

still, a very nice album, especially in the current 'creative' climate...

btw, were you present for any of the tracking or other sessions for this particular album? or was it pretty much a preem and artist only situation?
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

I don't quite get what that issues with the mix are for some of you guys. Am not saying this because am a fan but the mixes seem fine to me and not that different from the older stuff, i.e. using tape. I would love to say thats its obvious its all digital but its still pretty big sounding with plenty of bottom and unless i really thing about it am not screaming ProTools. Am not going be judging the album as a cohesive piece of work as it's not it just a taster from up and coming albums so to me i wouldn't expect it to be that consistent. The M.C.'s all have good bars and the beats are all rugged to **** thumbsup. Am drawn to some M.C's more than others, but all sound on point IMO. The last black poet album "Blaqprint" was a classic in my eyes, but i have always been a big poet fan and the PHD album is one of my fav's, but thats a good example of a album thats very consistent and i would guess all the other albums, that have similar input from premier, will also be @ that calibre. In a nutshell i don't expect to much from a sampler album. The KRS joint 5% is crazy and i am really excited about the Boom Bip project, the chemistry sounds on fire there, it will be a instant classic. Really excited about the Ehit **** also, one of my favourite M.C.'s of all time right there.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytee View Post
...i am really excited about the Boom Bip project...

Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Primos mc pals are kinda weak and seem to be rappin about rappin still
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yea I was present for most of it, I may have even tracked some things on there. Also sat in during mastering.

Ida love to have mixed it for him, or he could have gotten Charles or Eddie to do it (Charles has done a majority of the major label mixes for Preem post-Ownerz...Lox, Luda, Xtina, Maroon 5 etc), but he clearly likes to do it himself, otherwise he would. I'm not upset at the mixes at all, I think it sounds pretty good...I'll ask him about the Q&A thing but I can't guarantee anything, he's pretty busy with production, constant touring, radio, various appearances and the record label...

Plus he'll probably just tell you to be original and use your ears for every single answer lol
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytee View Post
I don't quite get what that issues with the mix are for some of you guys. Am not saying this because am a fan but the mixes seem fine to me and not that different from the older stuff, i.e. using tape. I would love to say thats its obvious its all digital but its still pretty big sounding with plenty of bottom and unless i really thing about it am not screaming ProTools. Am not going be judging the album as a cohesive piece of work as it's not it just a taster from up and coming albums so to me i would expect it to be that consistent. The M.C.'s all have good bars and the beats are all rugged to **** thumbsup. Am drawn to some M.C's more than others, but all sound on point IMO. The last black poet album "Blaqprint" was a classic in my eyes, but i have always been a big poet fan and the PHD album is one of my fav's, but thats a good example of a album thats very consistent and i would guess all the other albums, that have similar input from premier, will also be @ that calibre. In a nutshell i don't expect to much from a sampler album. The KRS joint 5% is crazy and i am really excited about the Boom Bip project, the chemistry sounds on fire there, it will be a instant classic. Really excited about the Ehit **** also, one of my favourite M.C.'s of all time right there.
two things,

1. as a coherent creative piece, i am equally pleased with the album. i think preem went through a creatively stale patch for a short while, but he is for def in my top 5 hip hop producers of all time. he's one of the few producers who refuses to change their approach to accommodate fads/trends within the music industry and still do not sound dated. this particular project, for me, proves that point. i am also excited about the announced upcoming projects (boom bip, vs pete rock, etc).

2. the comments about the sound wasn't a knock of the album as a whole, but more an observation that the sonic quality of the mixes were qualitatively different to previous work. a few folks picked up on these differences as well and some even shed light on why this was the case with this particular project. i agree the mixes still sound big and not demo-ish AT ALL, but i'd argue the difference to previous work is quite apparent...again, i'm feeling the album ;-)
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yea I was present for most of it, I may have even tracked some things on there. Also sat in during mastering.

Ida love to have mixed it for him, or he could have gotten Charles or Eddie to do it (Charles has done a majority of the major label mixes for Preem post-Ownerz...Lox, Luda, Xtina, Maroon 5 etc), but he clearly likes to do it himself, otherwise he would. I'm not upset at the mixes at all, I think it sounds pretty good...I'll ask him about the Q&A thing but I can't guarantee anything, he's pretty busy with production, constant touring, radio, various appearances and the record label...

Plus he'll probably just tell you to be original and use your ears for every single answer lol
thanks parks,

i once read that he usually lets an emcee spit over the drum track then add samples afterwards to match flow, content, etc. did he do that for these sessions?

btw, what are you working on these days? i know you worked on the budden stuff (nice).
Old 18th December 2010
Now I listened to some of the material on YT.. great stuff, let's one hope that we get more music of that caliber again accessible to a wider audience... and less of that plastic generation crap.

Also looking forward to those announced releases.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaltern

thanks parks,

i once read that he usually lets an emcee spit over the drum track then add samples afterwards to match flow, content, etc. did he do that for these sessions?

btw, what are you working on these days? i know you worked on the budden stuff (nice).
Ive seen him do that before, but I honestly don't remember him doing that on this project, but that's not too say that he didn't.

I'm still working with Joe and Slaughterhouse quite a bit, getting ready for The Great Escape and now that the Shady deal is official I'll be putting a lot of brain power towards them and Em, being that I have a direct line to arguably the biggest artist of the decade I would be crazy not too. Other than that still doing a lot of work with Show & DITC, there's a Show/KRS album that I did a lot of work as an engineer and production assistant on that hopefully will be seeing the light of day early 2011...I also play in a synth-based-indie rock band (somethin like a MGMT or Passion Pit) so I'm trying to wrap up that project as well...and taking any other interesting projects that might pop up, and thankfully they usually do!
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ive seen him do that before, but I honestly don't remember him doing that on this project, but that's not too say that he didn't.

I'm still working with Joe and Slaughterhouse quite a bit, getting ready for The Great Escape and now that the Shady deal is official I'll be putting a lot of brain power towards them and Em, being that I have a direct line to arguably the biggest artist of the decade I would be crazy not too. Other than that still doing a lot of work with Show & DITC, there's a Show/KRS album that I did a lot of work as an engineer and production assistant on that hopefully will be seeing the light of day early 2011...I also play in a synth-based-indie rock band (somethin like a MGMT or Passion Pit) so I'm trying to wrap up that project as well...and taking any other interesting projects that might pop up, and thankfully they usually do!

damn that's great man!!!!

Buddens is putting out the best stuff right now, i'm a big fan

Royce too, although alot of his newer stuff seems rushed, or not as layered lyrically
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:

nice one...i should holla at you soon, before you're too inaccessible to the plebes ;-)

btw, wow, krs/show and krs/primo albums! he has an amazing ability to 'reinvent' himself (even if it sometimes comes at the expense of ideological consistency). for def looking forward to listening what he has to offer this time...2011 looks like a good year for the boom bap/bip
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

First of all, I agree with most of y'all here that the overall sound of the mix went a different route, this started around the Ownerz, indeed when D&D turned into HeadQCourterz and PT replaced the MCI/Tape/DAT system.
Nonetheless, don't overlook two things:
1. The change in Premier's production style, that kinda switched up to the actual formula which also started around the Ownerz. Earlier production had a more organic sound, sample-wise, which remains the source however you mix it.
2. The a-dynamic squashing that is demanded these days. Earlier mixes, whether it was Eddie Sancho (MAJOR SHOUT OUT) behind the boards or not, were mostly not as loud, which left more room for dynamics and authentic transients.

Still, I'd like to know more about the current set-up at HeadQCourterz. There's a RemixMag article floating around, but that's already way out of date.

I know the earlier D&D set-up, and the most outboard cause I once stepped to Eddie asking what the basic outboard set-up was. When HeadQCourterz saw light, I know Preem started out with a PT-HD setup with a C|24, the VTP1 pre-amp and the newer line of 160a' 166a's. This is ofcourse the recording/mixing set-up, since we're all familiair with the producing setup (MPC60/950 etc.).
But this was a while ago, I noticed he switched up on pre-amps lately, which makes sense.

So on that note...

@Studio 507, first things first: good looks on what you're doing down there. I got a couple of questions though, give me a heads up if if you can't spill the beans on this one.

What MIC Pre is currently in use in D&D, mics, outboard?
Do they track with the DBX's (that is, if they're still in use) or any other outboard besides pre's?
Are the outputs of the 950 directly inserted into the C|24?
Is the outboard patched in a standard chain or individually switchable through jack/bantam patchbay?
Any favored plug-ins, I know he was a fan of a the Digi Focusrite D2/D3's for a while.

I'm currently doing a master thesis on the improvement of workflow in hybrid studios, that's the reason why I'm asking (plus ofcourse personal interest), since D&D, and now HeadQCourterz proved it is on top of the game soundwise within hiphop.
A Q&A would be nice, but then again, it's nice to keep some of those tricks up the sleeve.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boombap86 View Post
First of all, I agree with most of y'all here that the overall sound of the mix went a different route, this started around the Ownerz, indeed when D&D turned into HeadQCourterz and PT replaced the MCI/Tape/DAT system.
Nonetheless, don't overlook two things:
1. The change in Premier's production style, that kinda switched up to the actual formula which also started around the Ownerz. Earlier production had a more organic sound, sample-wise, which remains the source however you mix it.
2. The a-dynamic squashing that is demanded these days. Earlier mixes, whether it was Eddie Sancho (MAJOR SHOUT OUT) behind the boards or not, were mostly not as loud, which left more room for dynamics and authentic transients.

Still, I'd like to know more about the current set-up at HeadQCourterz. There's a RemixMag article floating around, but that's already way out of date.

I know the earlier D&D set-up, and the most outboard cause I once stepped to Eddie asking what the basic outboard set-up was. When HeadQCourterz saw light, I know Preem started out with a PT-HD setup with a C|24, the VTP1 pre-amp and the newer line of 160a' 166a's. This is ofcourse the recording/mixing set-up, since we're all familiair with the producing setup (MPC60/950 etc.).
But this was a while ago, I noticed he switched up on pre-amps lately, which makes sense.

So on that note...

@Studio 507, first things first: good looks on what you're doing down there. I got a couple of questions though, give me a heads up if if you can't spill the beans on this one.

What MIC Pre is currently in use in D&D, mics, outboard?
Do they track with the DBX's (that is, if they're still in use) or any other outboard besides pre's?
Are the outputs of the 950 directly inserted into the C|24?
Is the outboard patched in a standard chain or individually switchable through jack/bantam patchbay?
Any favored plug-ins, I know he was a fan of a the Digi Focusrite D2/D3's for a while.

I'm currently doing a master thesis on the improvement of workflow in hybrid studios, that's the reason why I'm asking (plus ofcourse personal interest), since D&D, and now HeadQCourterz proved it is on top of the game soundwise within hiphop.
A Q&A would be nice, but then again, it's nice to keep some of those tricks up the sleeve.

just in response to your primo production change remark. i kinda get a sense that primo didnt just have one approach.

hot flames sounds like the ownerz style
the gangstarr bus sounds like a track christina aguilera didn't choose and he threw it on here
epic dynasty sounds like moment of truth era
there's even a track or two that sounds from earlier

i agree the "a-dynamic squashing" probably added to it as well

would like to read the thesis when you're done, if you don't mind.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search