The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
re DJ Premier's Get Used To Us compilation Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 20th December 2010
  #31
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
finally got this—i don't have high expectations but i'm looking forward to listening through it in the car system.. will report back!
Old 20th December 2010
  #32
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaltern View Post
just in response to your primo production change remark. i kinda get a sense that primo didnt just have one approach.

hot flames sounds like the ownerz style
the gangstarr bus sounds like a track christina aguilera didn't choose and he threw it on here
epic dynasty sounds like moment of truth era
there's even a track or two that sounds from earlier

i agree the "a-dynamic squashing" probably added to it as well

would like to read the thesis when you're done, if you don't mind.
You're as right as you can be. However, realize that most of the beats you mentioned weren't tailored for this project particullary:

* The Hot Flames beat for Khaleel was done around 2002 but never got released. Ownerz is 2003 so you're pretty accurate. Khaleel switched labels and ended up with Premier and this track.
* The KRS & Puba joint called 5% was meant for Rakim when he was still signed to Aftermath. Rakim left in 2003, so same timetable as the Hot Flames track.
* The Epic Dynasty track was supposed to be on his series 'Beats That Collected Dust Vol. 2'. I don't know if that's still gonna happen now that it's seen the light on this release, but it was a beat that never got used until now. Could be years old.
* The Teflon track (Lifetime Membership) is back from when Tef still had a deal with Def Jam and was about to release an album there. Preem did the majority of the production for it back then. Now he got the reels back from Jay-Z, so he's making a few updates (like the Papoose, Saigon verses) and then it will be released. This also goes for Married to the Game. So again, not his recent work.
* Sing like Bilal with Joel on it was on Beats That Collected Dust Vol. 1, go figure.
* The Gangstarr Bus, which is also gonna appear on Freddie Foxx’s The Kolexion, is an old Gangstarr 'leftover'. Foxxx is known for using Premo beats not taken by others.
* Bang Dis is from Poets Rewind Deja Screw album (2006).

Not taking away from any of these tracks cause I LOVE the majority of 'em, just saying it's a compilation, so you're absolutely right when you state that you hear different approaches. It is because some tracks are not his recent work by far.

I'm planning on posting the thesis somewhere around here, no doubt. On that note, I still hope to hear from Studio507.
Old 20th December 2010
  #33
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boombap86 View Post
You're as right as you can be. However, realize that most of the beats you mentioned weren't tailored for this project particullary:

* The Hot Flames beat for Khaleel was done around 2002 but never got released. Ownerz is 2003 so you're pretty accurate. Khaleel switched labels and ended up with Premier and this track.
* The KRS & Puba joint called 5% was meant for Rakim when he was still signed to Aftermath. Rakim left in 2003, so same timetable as the Hot Flames track.
* The Epic Dynasty track was supposed to be on his series 'Beats That Collected Dust Vol. 2'. I don't know if that's still gonna happen now that it's seen the light on this release, but it was a beat that never got used until now. Could be years old.
* The Teflon track (Lifetime Membership) is back from when Tef still had a deal with Def Jam and was about to release an album there. Preem did the majority of the production for it back then. Now he got the reels back from Jay-Z, so he's making a few updates (like the Papoose, Saigon verses) and then it will be released. This also goes for Married to the Game. So again, not his recent work.
* Sing like Bilal with Joel on it was on Beats That Collected Dust Vol. 1, go figure.
* The Gangstarr Bus, which is also gonna appear on Freddie Foxx’s The Kolexion, is an old Gangstarr 'leftover'. Foxxx is known for using Premo beats not taken by others.
* Bang Dis is from Poets Rewind Deja Screw album (2006).

Not taking away from any of these tracks cause I LOVE the majority of 'em, just saying it's a compilation, so you're absolutely right when you state that you hear different approaches. It is because some tracks are not his recent work by far.

I'm planning on posting the thesis somewhere around here, no doubt. On that note, I still hope to hear from Studio507.
i trust ur research on the history and context of these songs to be as correct as you can be. some songs appear to be a decade old almost and still banging. primo's like a bb king of hip hop - ya'll can do your smooth jazz and fusion stuff to go with current trends, but i stick to what i do and prove to ya'll this ****'s timeless.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #34
Gear Addict
 

Wac

I am a premier fan. This album is wack. The beats are weak and the mastering is horrible. the beats hardly hit at all. The mcs are horrible. The only good thing I can say about it is that the vocal recording sounds on point. Total disappointment.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #35
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
I am a premier fan. This album is wack. The beats are weak and the mastering is horrible. the beats hardly hit at all. The mcs are horrible. The only good thing I can say about it is that the vocal recording sounds on point. Total disappointment.
i just read xxl's review of the album and it, more of less, echoes the sentiment of some of us in the thread - nice production, but some emcees disappoint. i'd agree that something, somewhere isn't 'hitting' as 'hard' as previous stuff, but i do like the album. to each his own, brother. i'd be interested to know what about his production/beats are disappointing though, if you don't mind sharing
Old 23rd December 2010
  #36
Gear Addict
 

Well, I want to check this on CD and/or vinyl still. Crazy thing is how it has disappeared from Amazon again. Not just "out of stock" but no listing. You search for "Get Used to Us" and there are no results, but it will suggest "DJ Premier Get Used to Us" or "Year Round Records Get Used To Us" which both yield zero results. And like I said, when I first searched for it, nothing came up, but a few days later it was there and I bought it!
Old 23rd December 2010
  #37
Gear Addict
 

Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaltern View Post
i just read xxl's review of the album and it, more of less, echoes the sentiment of some of us in the thread - nice production, but some emcees disappoint. i'd agree that something, somewhere isn't 'hitting' as 'hard' as previous stuff, but i do like the album. to each his own, brother. i'd be interested to know what about his production/beats are disappointing though, if you don't mind sharing
It just sounds thin and weak. The sound is so flat from a mastering perspective like it was produced in a house for a music conference demo by someone who didn't know what they were doing.

In terms of the music, there is nothing catchy about any of the tracks. They are uninspiring and lame. The mc s just make it worse. I listen to the chorus on the songs and they are weak. The krs track chorus is completely wack. They should have put some dope scratching or a stronger mc to do it. the punch ins sound like they we're tired and just trying to get out of the studio.

When you compare the album to the track "classic" it sounds like a beginner made it. the white dude is a horrible mc and sounds like a bad eminem clone.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #38
Gear Addict
 

RE: the comment above, I agree that it sounds "thin" in comparison to the stuff Primo did on tape, and even The Ownerz. I disagree when you say "nothing" is catchy -- several of the beats, although they sound derivative of Primo's earlier work, are still total headnodders. The KRS track is excellent and the chorus is not weak, imo. I love that joint. Definitely the best track. The other surprising thing is how dope MC Eiht sounds over Primo tracks -- that is a combo that works! The new emcees, though, are blah at best. I don't think I'd say Javis is wack, but for a white emcee to talk about how "legendary" Eminem is in his first verse ever is pretty lame. Javis has some ill lines but also some total throwaways. It's pretty clear Primo is trying to have a Dre-Eminem relationship, a la the way they related in the Slim Shady LP era days, from the whole tone of that first track.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #39
Gear Addict
 

Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by drollz View Post
RE: the comment above, I agree that it sounds "thin" in comparison to the stuff Primo did on tape, and even The Ownerz. I disagree when you say "nothing" is catchy -- several of the beats, although they sound derivative of Primo's earlier work, are still total headnodders. The KRS track is excellent and the chorus is not weak, imo. I love that joint. Definitely the best track. The other surprising thing is how dope MC Eiht sounds over Primo tracks -- that is a combo that works! The new emcees, though, are blah at best. I don't think I'd say Javis is wack, but for a white emcee to talk about how "legendary" Eminem is in his first verse ever is pretty lame. Javis has some ill lines but also some total throwaways. It's pretty clear Primo is trying to have a Dre-Eminem relationship, a la the way they related in the Slim Shady LP era days, from the whole tone of that first track.
The problem is the whole thing sounds made up and fake. Its already been done which makes it even more weak in total. Look, I wanted nothing else than this album to be dope because I love Primo but lets be honest here and call it what it is. Primo with all the competition and experience in the music business should not be putting out such a weak master and wack tracks.

I think the KRS One track is horrible. The only reason you can listen to it because KRS One can hold his own on anything - even static. The track just sounds so basic. The sound efx with the shoes or ping pong ball (whatever it is) has been done 1000 times before.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #40
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
The problem is the whole thing sounds made up and fake. Its already been done which makes it even more weak in total. Look, I wanted nothing else than this album to be dope because I love Primo but lets be honest here and call it what it is. Primo with all the competition and experience in the music business should not be putting out such a weak master and wack tracks.

I think the KRS One track is horrible. The only reason you can listen to it because KRS One can hold his own on anything - even static. The track just sounds so basic. The sound efx with the shoes or ping pong ball (whatever it is) has been done 1000 times before.
i think we can look at it at least 2 ways.

1. given the direction hip hop production has gone during the last 5 years or so, primo's boom bap or whatever is just plain played out - stock drum sounds and near predictable drum programming layered over what was once exciting and different. however, we've heard all those tricks before so it's sounding kinda stale.

2. given the direction hip hop production has gone during the last 5 years or so, primo's boom bap is kinda refreshing. it takes us back to a time where it was the music was raw and fearless (ito not letting industry laws like sample clearances colonize the way a producer approaches his/her craft). it represents that gutbucket no frills pure headnod vibe.

while i agree that preem has gone through a bit of a creative slump (nobody can be consistent forever), i think this album marks a return. i do think giving 2 tracks each to newbies, might not have been a great idea. i'm surprised he didn't call in more 'favors' from more established cats like nas, common, etc. it woulda been a good look for the label, studio and his career as a producer in this changed environment. i want him to win tho, so i can't be mad. he's worked with not so great emcees before...i dig the album
Old 23rd December 2010
  #41
Here for the gear
 

It's all in the mix!!!

I'm gonna only post this once and disapear like Keyser Söze!!!
The bottome line if you want your music to sound right, you gonna need the right engineer for the job---> PERIOD!
I can only speak for myself, but it doesn't matter to me if I mixed a song in analog or digital...I still get that warm bangin sound!
Take a listen to "The Weatherman LP" from my homie Evidence which I mixed all in pro tools...NO OUTBOARD GEAR!
And holler at me if you want your $h*t MIXED RITE!

Eddie Sancho | Facebook
Eddie Sancho (eddiesancho) on Twitter

Much appreciated to the ones who mentioned my name!

PEACE
Old 23rd December 2010
  #42
Gear Head
 

lol @ Keyzer Soze

Ladies and gents Mr. Sancho is in the building! F*cking legend!

Weatherman LP knocks hard as **** on my Rockit6's ... thanks for the quality work!
Old 23rd December 2010
  #43
DAH
Lives for gear
 
DAH's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiesancho View Post
I'm gonna only post this once and disapear like Keyser Söze!!!
The bottome line if you want your music to sound right, you gonna need the right engineer for the job---> PERIOD!
I can only speak for myself, but it doesn't matter to me if I mixed a song in analog or digital...I still get that warm bangin sound!
Take a listen to "The Weatherman LP" from my homie Evidence which I mixed all in pro tools...NO OUTBOARD GEAR!
And holler at me if you want your $h*t MIXED RITE!

Eddie Sancho | Facebook
Eddie Sancho (eddiesancho) on Twitter

Much appreciated to the ones who mentioned my name!

PEACE
I guess some secret trading (specially on kick layering) would be highly effective as promotion, too
Old 23rd December 2010
  #44
Gear Nut
 

The legend finally chimes in
Old 23rd December 2010
  #45
DAH
Lives for gear
 
DAH's Avatar
Waiting for Primo to chime in and say
Nah, it`s all in THE BEAT!
Old 23rd December 2010
  #46
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
this place is crazy..
Old 25th December 2010
  #47
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
this place is crazy..
i'm in no position to disagree ;-)

would be great if eddie was down for a GS Q n A session
Old 22nd March 2011
  #48
DAH
Lives for gear
 
DAH's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaltern View Post
i'm in no position to disagree ;-)

would be great if eddie was down for a GS Q n A session
Or I`d buy his DVD tutorial!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
jnorman / So much gear, so little time
5
Olivi / Mastering forum
6
Way Of The Heart / So much gear, so little time
20

Forum Jump
Forum Jump