The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Publishing/Credits regarding online artists
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

Publishing/Credits regarding online artists

So lets say ur a producer who did a track for an artist over the internet and are interested in making it commercially available. (cd/paid download) Whats the smartest way to go about a split sheet when u cant physically sign anything? Im thinking 50/50 ownership is fair

I see a lot of credits where it will say "published by" multiple organizations but i see alot of independent artists who dont even know about publishing. If i create a BMI or ASCAP do i have them sign the track over to me? And how could u "sign" something over the internet where its air tight in legitness? Thru email and print out? Ive been doing this for about 10 years but im finally trying figure out the business end . . . . thanks for the replies

knowing some of the people on here im expecting some
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
PDF. print - sign - scan - send.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonusbmusic View Post
So lets say ur a producer who did a track for an artist over the internet and are interested in making it commercially available. (cd/paid download) Whats the smartest way to go about a split sheet when u cant physically sign anything? Im thinking 50/50 ownership is fair

I see a lot of credits where it will say "published by" multiple organizations but i see alot of independent artists who dont even know about publishing. If i create a BMI or ASCAP do i have them sign the track over to me? And how could u "sign" something over the internet where its air tight in legitness? Thru email and print out? Ive been doing this for about 10 years but im finally trying figure out the business end . . . . thanks for the replies

Echosign.com
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonusbmusic View Post

Got that right home slice
The mechanical rate is about 10 cents right about now.
The publisher(s) get half and the writer(s) get the other half.
So if there are multi pubs,they divide the amount of pubs by5 cants and the same with multiple writers.
The mechanical rate is based on SALES.

BMI,ASCAP and SESAC are performing rights orginizations meaning they are the ones who pay you for airplay.

Theres more **** to learn but just understand this first and the rest should come easier.

But remember,it doesnt mean **** if you aint selling **** so dont expect any Bentleys and bling..it aint gonna happen home slice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search