The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Q & A with RJD2 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 27th February 2011
Gear Maniac

No questions...

Just a story:

I work nights and would listen to an AM sport talks show during my lunch break. One of his bump tracks would always catch my attention, but I could never figure out what it was.

I was about to send them an email when I realized I could try using Soundhound on my phone to figure it out. I ended up staying awake all night during my day off waiting for that bump track. They played it...maybe 10 seconds...and I found it was Ghostwriter.

That track is insane.
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

nice story above.

Rj, loving your synth collection! I've just started acquiring hardware again as i'm tired of the infinite possibilities with computers; seems to have killed my creativity not improved it. I use to own some classic rolands like the juno 60, 808, 101 etc, but they've long gone. So i've started all over from scratch, first piece e-mu emax -which i love, and just recently mpc-1000 which is perfect with the jjos (minus the pads maybe). What are your recommendations for say 3 good synths that are underated and cheap that together should cover a fairly wide spectrum of sound making posibilities. I'm sure you've stumbled upon some real gems in your time.....CS-80?! you couldn't wipe the smile off your face while playing it!!

thanks, and keep on
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear Maniac

synths i consider undervalued(i dont care cause i already have one):

juno 60
arp axxe, any pre-orange face arp
yamaha sy-1,sy-2

i'd go for one poly, one mono. i do find it true that the older you go, the better, really.

also, oberheim OBXA's are still pretty undervalued, IMO. 1800-ish for an xpander is a decent option.
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear Nut

Hey rj, you didn't answer any of my questions, but it's understandable. Thanks anyway.
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Hey RJ,
What snare and kick did you use on tin flowers? And what kind of head s were you using on the kik?
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd2 View Post
synths i consider undervalued(i dont care cause i already have one):

juno 60
arp axxe, any pre-orange face arp
yamaha sy-1,sy-2

i'd go for one poly, one mono. i do find it true that the older you go, the better, really.

also, oberheim OBXA's are still pretty undervalued, IMO. 1800-ish for an xpander is a decent option.
thanks for the tip off on those old SY's! Right up my alley sound wise. They kind of remind me of an sh-1000 i had but way more expressive and tonally superior. The 60 should be back in my hands. I used to love having the ability to play with both hands and tweak filter with volume pedal. There's a guy in town with an 8 voice obxa but he's gouging people hard on synths; he wants $ 3k!! What are your thoughts on the emax? i've just started using it for resampling into the mpc and although mono, it imparts a nice sonic signature on sounds especially when detuned at lower sample rates.
Old 5th March 2011
Here for the gear

What up RJ?!

Now that the record has dropped, could you please explain your production of 'We Are The Doorways'?

Love your music!!!
Old 13th March 2011
Gear Addict

Nygh as in "Ya Boy Got Laid" Nygh from HHI?
Old 15th March 2011
Gear Nut

I've been at it over 20 years. Started off as a battle dj in 89 got into production in 93 believe me it Takes alot to bring a smile to my face. Most of the time just skim thru peoples sh!t never listen again. Yours get rewinded many times. Thank you RJ.heh
Old 16th March 2011
Gear Maniac

nygh-yea, im on it. will post to my site soon.

sp12adam-thanks ALOT man. appreciate it, especially coming from a previous generation to mine, really.
Old 17th March 2011
Gear Nut

Like I said I been doing it awhile your just not doing boom bap, little filtered sub bass, chopped up sample switched up. I can hear all the stuff your incorporating how you sneek the little things in and the tone you get is sick. That takes years of practice. Did you do any work on the new Roots album a freind was playing it for me in his car. Track 1 or 2 once I heard it I told him RJD2 he didn't know what F*** I was talking about.
Old 18th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp12adam View Post
Like I said I been doing it awhile your just not doing boom bap, little filtered sub bass, chopped up sample switched up. I can hear all the stuff your incorporating how you sneek the little things in and the tone you get is sick. That takes years of practice. Did you do any work on the new Roots album a freind was playing it for me in his car. Track 1 or 2 once I heard it I told him RJD2 he didn't know what F*** I was talking about.
haha, yea-in hindsight, i realize i've been making records for people who make records...in the sense that i rarely think about commerciality when im making music, if ever.

naw, i didnt work on the new roots lp. we've kicked around some stuff in the past, but nothing ever actually coalesced for a record....
Old 19th March 2011
Gear Nut

[QUOTE=rjd2;6446891]haha, yea-in hindsight, i realize i've been making records for people who make records...in the sense that i rarely think about commerciality when im making music, if ever.

It's called pride. And to the people that don't know you or the many others doing real **** F*** them.dfegad They don't matter anyway, all they care about is that it bumps. Just give me a warm bassline a thin snare a thin kick that locks right in and I'm good to go. Tone will kick a 808's ass!!
Old 26th March 2011
Here for the gear

RJ...

First off I wanna say im a big fan and have been since the Fondle'em & Your Face or Your Kneecaps Days. Props to all your work and thanks for taking time out your schedule to answer a few questions. Here's mine..

1. Whats your opinion on VSTI's and VST's? I seen you use a UAD card earlier for FX. Is there any others u use/like? what about VSTI's?

2. I think I may have one of the samples in "June". I dont wanna list your samples out there cause I know how producers get with their samples, me included or which part it is but Is it off a horoscope record?
Old 26th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMute View Post
First off I wanna say im a big fan and have been since the Fondle'em & Your Face or Your Kneecaps Days. Props to all your work and thanks for taking time out your schedule to answer a few questions. Here's mine..

1. Whats your opinion on VSTI's and VST's? I seen you use a UAD card earlier for FX. Is there any others u use/like? what about VSTI's?

2. I think I may have one of the samples in "June". I dont wanna list your samples out there cause I know how producers get with their samples, me included or which part it is but Is it off a horoscope record?
yes on #2. VST's-i dont know much, cause for sound generation, im pretty much analog. the one i use alot tho is the EW string library, its really good.
Old 5th April 2011
Gear Nut

Just noticed what your doing to help with Japanese charity efforts, really amazing of you.
Old 5th April 2011
Gear Head

Yo RJ, thanks so much for throwing on the Insane Warrior submission thing, Walter and myself had a blast just making our video and seeing all the other submissions, but it was extra cool that you dug it as well (and have a taste for cocaine jokes). We really look forward to saying whats up next time you roll through Ohio.

My question.. is there ANYWHERE I can buy the "Wet Ankles" track from the Heineken commercial? I've been wanting that one for a minute now!
Old 5th April 2011
Gear Maniac

thanks, guys....
Old 17th April 2011
whoa awesome thread

thanks for taking the time to do this rjd2

dead ringers is bangin'

let there be horns video = epic win
Old 18th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyThomas View Post
Yo RJ, thanks so much for throwing on the Insane Warrior submission thing, Walter and myself had a blast just making our video and seeing all the other submissions, but it was extra cool that you dug it as well (and have a taste for cocaine jokes). We really look forward to saying whats up next time you roll through Ohio.

My question.. is there ANYWHERE I can buy the "Wet Ankles" track from the Heineken commercial? I've been wanting that one for a minute now!
damn, completionist!!! haha, wow, i love it. didnt know too many people who caught that. its actually on an unreleased album i did, im just not sure how/when to release it...when i cut "the colossus", it was around 30 songs, and there ended up being like a mirror album of sorts. its just in the vault....i was sitting on it, cause i try to be real methodical and planned with how i release "rjd2" albums....but maybe release it as an "outtakes" album? under another moniker? a series of 7" singles? what do you guys think, any thoughts?
Old 18th April 2011
bonus disc on upcoming album?

freebie for adoring fans?

the 7" singles idea is good, i do love a good 7"
Old 21st April 2011
Here for the gear

Thank you

Does RJ stand for Raw Jamz?
All jokes aside, I must really thank you on behalf of all of us here for your quality of information. I'm definitely going to try out some of your tricks on the 2000xl but most importantly you've inspired me to focus on my arrangements instead of simply wasting moolah on gear.

Do you sample on every track you create? What are your thoughts on using samples from 3+ records on one track -- do you think this muddies the respective tones + overall tone of the final product?

Best,
Daniel
Old 2nd May 2011
Here for the gear

Hey RJ,

I was tickled when I reached page 7 and saw you were still posting.

I grew up in Columbus and am currently attending Capital University for music technology. I have seen you play a couple times and have been a big fan of your music for years.

My question regards some High School rumors that were spread around the Columbus Academy. Is it true you went to Columbus Academy for a time? Seems like a lame question, but thinking that you went to my tiny private school in Columbus and made it big was very motivating for me. Many times in my head I have said, "Well, if RJ did it"

Also, how do you view the Columbus music scene now-days?

Love to hear your response and clear this rumor up either way.

Kevin P.

Last edited by parrishk; 2nd May 2011 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: I took out some information that i don't want on the board
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Maniac

i did-i got a scholarship to go there in middle school. by 10th grade, my family couldnt afford the co-pay to the scholarship anymore, so i moved to fort hayes, my local public school.

local scene-dunno. dont live there anymore.
Old 2nd May 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for such a quick reply to my stupid question! Means a lot, especially that I haven't been feeding myself false motivation.
Old 16th May 2011
KT1
Lives for gear

I'm ashamed to say i only heard of your music after reading this thread and reading all the positive feedback. I'm based in the UK and have spent the last 3 weeks listening to as much of your music as i can get my hands on and am stunned by some of the textures within your songs. I don't even hear the song first it's like an immediate emotion generated from the overall texture and scape of the songs. In short i'm blown away.

I then went on to search for as many interviews as possible and came across one on you tube where you tour your home and cook some NICE desert :D.

I see you're into your synthesis - something that i am becoming more involved in as of late. I have a couple of questions in this respect if you can find the time to answer them.

1) I understand your love of analogue synthesis and i did your custom made ever growing modular! Have you used soft synths and what is your opinion on the never ending debate of analogue sound vs soft?

2) I recently learned to use the headphone out on my moog and go back into the audio in - loving the way it sounds - some people think this is damaging - although i can't rationalise how exactly this would ever damage the moog any opinions? And more importantly what are your tricks for generating that cement cracking bass?

3) Can i have your CS-80?

Thanks so much in advance for the music and your good advice.

Regards

KT
Old 17th May 2011
Gear Maniac

KT1-thanks. answers:

1-analog vs softsynth: who cares. i dont. 85% of the **** on that hits is virtual. the neptunes made zillions of awesome records that i love on gear that i dont care for(korg triton, microkorg, etc).

2-bass? dunno. if there is one answer is this-i try different approaches until one sticks. sometimes its my live bass rig. sometimes mpc. sometimes synths. all 3 of those have failed miserably at 1 time or another. another thing: when im making music, i dont spend alot of time "thinking" about what might work. i set myself up so that i've got as many tools as possible at hand, and then i just start plugging things into the track until the problem is solved.

3-sure, what do i need it for?
Old 17th May 2011
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd2 View Post
KT1-thanks. answers:

1-analog vs softsynth: who cares. i dont. 85% of the **** on that hits is virtual. the neptunes made zillions of awesome records that i love on gear that i dont care for(korg triton, microkorg, etc).

2-bass? dunno. if there is one answer is this-i try different approaches until one sticks. sometimes its my live bass rig. sometimes mpc. sometimes synths. all 3 of those have failed miserably at 1 time or another. another thing: when im making music, i dont spend alot of time "thinking" about what might work. i set myself up so that i've got as many tools as possible at hand, and then i just start plugging things into the track until the problem is solved.

3-sure, what do i need it for?
Thanks Rj - Also slightly off topic - how long and what heat did you leave that cobbl..on for ..it looked damn tasty...Any tried and tested fruit combos? I think i may get involved tonight.
Old 17th May 2011
Lives for gear

Hey RJ -

First off- thanks for participating in this, its really awesome to collectively pick your brain about stuff here - your valuable time is much appreciated!
Bummed I missed your appearance at the Saturn Never Sleeps event here in philly, hope there's plans for your return in the future? I havent been to any of those yet (just found out about it) but plan on going next time.

As far as analog gear goes - any secrets into your aquisitions on analog synths? Is it simply a Johnny on the spot scenario? Constant vigilence on ebay and craigslist for under priced good value gear?

Also, how goes the construction of your own analog processing gear? I'd like to get get started in the creation of my own synths/analog gear however I lack an electronic engineering degree, do you think I could learn what I would need through some books and trials by fire? & Is there possibly a good place to start learning/doing this sort of DIY construction?

And i hope you dont mind the onslaught of questions but do you have any plans on producing other artists & releasing on your label? And if you need sessions dudes in philly, how might someone reach out to you to assist or suggest some folks for you? I know a bunch of people in the philly area if you need some man power to make some sounds sometime.
Old 7th June 2011
Lives for gear

RJD2,

i just wanted to take the time to share a little story on how you've affected my life and music production.
when i first started making beats back in highschool it was awesome (because i was going into bachelors of music, and i felt like all my stuff was super musical)
then i started sampling and i felt like that was taking away from the musicality, (specifically the way stones throw samples their records) how the core of the music is the flipped sample and the other sounds are around it.
but you and some of the fine folks at rhymesayers (btw dope dope stuff you did with blueprint), have made me realize that i can make the music the way i used to, and have the sample merely be a layer in the soundscape, the sample doesnt dictate the way the songs sounds, its just another part. i love that.

i also wanna say i no longer make "beats" i make vocal-less songs. my stuff is constantly changing, there's motion, added elements constantly, i love it. this is what i've been searching for.. for like years.

thank you man, thank you for helping me find musicality again, thank you for making it FUN again.

can you tell us a little about the colossus? how you went about producing some of the songs? any particular inspirations etc.

ps. "RJ was dealin' with his own ****, he wanted to quit before 8 million stories even hit"
thank god you didnt.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search