The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Q & A with RJD2 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 21st October 2013
SEED78
the era he is from its not unusual to have a reel-to-reel knocking about. he prob used it for all of the above and more over time.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

reel to reel=used for processing here and there. it's not very....ergonomic, in terms of workflow. it brings back everything i don't miss about recording to tape. but you can get some cool sounds out of it if you work hard enough.
Old 21st October 2013
SEED78
if you are not using real tape in your work flow any more - are you using anything like a Neve5042 or plug-in emulations at all?

any fav tape plugs? there is so many now, I like Dad tape and waves - but I often achieve what I want via distortion plugs too.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
if you are not using real tape in your work flow any more - are you using anything like a Neve5042 or plug-in emulations at all?

any fav tape plugs? there is so many now, I like Dad tape and waves - but I often achieve what I want via distortion plugs too.
not really. once in a while the massey-it's nice-but most often not what i'm looking to do.
Old 21st October 2013
SEED78
I'm also a bit 50/50 about massey - none of them really sound that much like tape to me, but useful anyway. I'm really keen to try the neve 5042 though... UBK fatso for warmth also.

preamps, or bus compression, or distortion usually help a lot with my drum groups - by the time I get round to trying tape stuff on those groups I've already got a decent amount of colour in there. I'm experimenting with just using tape plugs mainly on the master bus at the moment in same part of the chain as using the real thing.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Nut

U like ensoniq gear?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict

Currently as you have evolved as an artist...could you please explain the present importance that vinyl has in your life? Has the excitement of possesing albums and sampling gradually died down to one extent or another - as you tend to play more live instrumentation now? Does it have an active role anymore in your every day routine or production sessions? Perhaps you are more of a listener now rather than a sampler? I guess simply listening to a great obscure album serves as a greater source of artistic inspiration for your own music, compared to sampling it ? Do you still buy old albums and if so, how frequently? Also do you have any new, current favourite sampled based producers (be they hip hop, trip hop, electro) that you exceptionally enjoy or look up to ? Thank you for your transparency, for sharing such vast valuable pieces of information. Your impact on this forum has been tremendous, much love!!!

Sent from my GT-I9100M
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd2 View Post
reel to reel=used for processing here and there. it's not very....ergonomic, in terms of workflow. it brings back everything i don't miss about recording to tape. but you can get some cool sounds out of it if you work hard enough.
Thanks for taking the time to reply and satisfy my curiosity, much appreciated.

So when used for processing, is this typically when you have tracked live instrumentation, perhaps drums, and strive to obtain a slightly more lo-fi feel?
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Currently as you have evolved as an artist...could you please explain the present importance that vinyl has in your life? Has the excitement of possesing albums and sampling gradually died down to one extent or another - as you tend to play more live instrumentation now? Does it have an active role anymore in your every day routine or production sessions? Perhaps you are more of a listener now rather than a sampler? I guess simply listening to a great obscure album serves as a greater source of artistic inspiration for your own music, compared to sampling it ? Do you still buy old albums and if so, how frequently? Also do you have any new, current favourite sampled based producers (be they hip hop, trip hop, electro) that you exceptionally enjoy or look up to ? Thank you for your transparency, for sharing such vast valuable pieces of information. Your impact on this forum has been tremendous, much love!!!

Sent from my GT-I9100M
yes no yes no no yes maybe yes maybe yes
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialectic View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply and satisfy my curiosity, much appreciated.

So when used for processing, is this typically when you have tracked live instrumentation, perhaps drums, and strive to obtain a slightly more lo-fi feel?
basically, or more tape-fi feel.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
basically, or more tape-fi feel.
New favourite word right thurr ; "tape-fi"
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Nut

I found the newly released More Is Than Isn't showcased a refined craftsmanship and an evolution of the rjd2 sound. How was your approach to this album different to that of your previous work?
Old 4th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBlake View Post
I found the newly released More Is Than Isn't showcased a refined craftsmanship and an evolution of the rjd2 sound. How was your approach to this album different to that of your previous work?
thanks. the main difference is that in the past, i worked hard to mask the "sampler-esque" nature of what I do, and this time I let it sit center stage at points. But really, it's still part of a continuum, which is simply improving and learning every day, in regards to making music.
Old 5th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks. the main difference is that in the past, i worked hard to mask the "sampler-esque" nature of what I do, and this time I let it sit center stage at points. But really, it's still part of a continuum, which is simply improving and learning every day, in regards to making music.
By "masking" do you mean making loops feel seamless, or making sure the added vst's sit with the original sample?
Old 6th November 2013
Lives for gear

RJ has a remix contest going on:

https://indabamusic.com/opportunitie...ontest/details
Old 8th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezionjd View Post
By "masking" do you mean making loops feel seamless, or making sure the added vst's sit with the original sample?
the former mostly, but the latter as well.(instruments not vsts if we're being technical)
Old 27th January 2014
Here for the gear

Can't believe this thread not active a few month.

John. First of all I want you to know, some of your works like 'true confession', 'june', 'ghostwriter' objectively is one's most beautiful and well composed pieces in whole experimental hiphop game.
Classic.
Keep inspiring.
Last tracks like 'her majesty...' and you back again!

So questions, if you please.

1. If you have a chance move back to 20-21 years old when you start off create: what do you learn more and what less in terms of music prod?

2. I work with PC, digging internet for samples so deep and hard and realise that I dont fun with it. Am just like I NEED TO MOVE ON, BECAUSE I PUT TOO MUCH TIME IN IT, you know. There is no vinyl spots outta here and nothing to crate. Only post via mail, but it tooo much complicated, long and $$$. One thing I understand, when I play my keys - this is only moment when I feel happy with my 'music composing'. But it cant compared to samples, that for my opinion sound waaaay interesting. Next thing, I move to hardware and bought mpc1000, right now hard learning this. AM SO HOPE this step can back my creative workflow.

- Do you was in such situation back then and how you battle with it?

Thanks for any response. Sorry for some maybe a lil bit abstract questions.
Old 28th January 2014
Gear Maniac

IMHO, you should really be spending time doing something you love. if you like the sound of sample based music, but just can't MAKE it, maybe just....listen to it?

i'd honestly much rather have scott storchs' skill set than mine, given the choice...
Old 29th January 2014
What up RJ,

First off thanks so much for this thread, and for consistently cranking out bad-ass tunes. You've been a big inspiration in my own production.

I got to see you talk with Khari Mateen in Philly a few months ago at a Grammy U event, which I really enjoyed, but unfortunately I didn't get to ask a question I had so I figured I'd ask here haha.

When going from making a beat for a rapper/singer to producing an instrumental song that stands on its own, what factors do you consider? IMO vocals are like another instrument, and when they're part of a song, one needs to make sure they leave the necessary space in the instrumental for the vocalist, and you can often loop parts of the beat because the vocals are taking the spotlight. With entirely instrumental songs, I've somewhat struggled at times with making the beat more "musical" and enhancing the instrumentation and changing the form of it to make it a song that is interesting enough on its own so it doesn't need a vocalist.

I was just wondering what your thoughts on this are and if you have different ways of achieving this with your instrumental pieces?

Thanks!

- Joe
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deflasoul View Post
so deep and hard
That's what she said
Old 30th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
i'd honestly much rather have scott storchs' skill set than mine, given the choice...

With Scott's and your approval I put this quote in my signature ... LEGENDARY!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search