The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Q & A with RJD2 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd2 View Post
so, yea... Icebird album is out. who's heard it? who's got it? separate thread? nobody really gives a **** if its not about samples and $$$$? lemme know what you guys think.....
Got it and therefore obviously heard it. I like it a lot. Has that mixture of past and future that I appreciate.

I like "Return of Tronson" - has a very cool vibe to it, and I like that it keeps building. Great harmonies and super cool synths and drum effects. It's a "don't bore us get to the chorus" day and age, so props for taking the time to start at point A and progress the whole way through - not too many songs with that sort of feeling any more.
Old 19th October 2011
Gear Maniac

thanks much, story!
Old 20th October 2011
Have you migrated to Maschine now then?
Old 25th October 2011
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd2 View Post
how many zeros are in LOL? oh yea. LOL.

yup-remix contest is up.

so, yea... Icebird album is out. who's heard it? who's got it? separate thread? nobody really gives a **** if its not about samples and $$$$? lemme know what you guys think.....

Same thread RJ, Yeh man - only took a listen to a few tracks so far - not had the chance to purchase - Friend played me some stuff. I like your sampled stuff it's nice its classic..but this stuff is different..and you know what RJ - i like different. Sounds great man. Just do what you do - you got it.

God bless.
Old 25th October 2011
hdz
Here for the gear

I've recently JUST taken the Icebird album out of my deck after playing it for 2 weeks straight. Your production is very polished on this album -- you and Aaron definitely compliment each other very well. Thank you for putting out music at least once a year -- not many artists do so: I can't stress how much it helps keeps your fan base's hunger cured (at least mine!).

Since all the sample and business questions have pretty much been answered:

-What do you do for fun during your spare time when you're not making music, handling the business side of your label, or DIY electronics? Movies? TV shows? Read?

-Let's say you weren't making music for a living -- what would your dream job have been if you did not take this route?

Thanks again RJ. I look forward to continue supporting you and being there witnessing your extraordinary music path.

EDIT: I've thought of a sample question! The chorus in the Soul Position song Survival. I don't even know how to explain it: the dingish sample that layers over the main loop and flying pan guitar. It boggles my mind! That is a sample i'm assuming? I don't even know what instrument that is...vibraphone? Any comments on that?
Old 26th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdz View Post
The chorus in the Soul Position song Survival. I don't even know how to explain it: the dingish sample that layers over the main loop and flying pan guitar. It boggles my mind! That is a sample i'm assuming? I don't even know what instrument that is...vibraphone? Any comments on that?
that is one of these:

Farfisa Professional Organ Demonstration at The Teacher's Lounge Studio - YouTube
Old 26th October 2011
hdz
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the reply. Sounds like you filtered it a bit as it seems resonated\reverbed (at least the chorus part) to give it a dreamy feel? Awesome!
Old 27th October 2011
The new Icebird totally rocks.

I love it from the first singleish number "Charmed Life" which gets you enganged and, though I'm diggin it all, an early stand out for me is Spirit Ache, which just does a kind of modern psychedelic take on a 50's type vibe (kinda like the fantastic Timber Timbre if anyones looking for this type of thing).

I'm sure I will continue to make discoveries and change favourites as I go - there is a lot of depth here.

Also, aside form the great songs, the production is top-notch, with a classic yet very modern tone. The album is also satisfyingly dynamic and sounds great in the studio.

I dig it.

a lot.

man.

Old 29th October 2011
Here for the gear

Love The Return Of Tronson and I'm Green. My favourite tracks off The Abandoned Lullaby
Old 4th November 2011
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Got it and therefore obviously heard it. I like it a lot. Has that mixture of past and future that I appreciate.

I like "Return of Tronson" - has a very cool vibe to it, and I like that it keeps building. Great harmonies and super cool synths and drum effects. It's a "don't bore us get to the chorus" day and age, so props for taking the time to start at point A and progress the whole way through - not too many songs with that sort of feeling any more.
Totally agree with this..also one of my favs! Good Job RJ.
Old 11th November 2011
Gear Head

Your Tipping point

RJD2,

Thanks for taking the time for this. I guess among all the things you have shared I am most interested in your work ethic. You mentioned that getting a streamlined workflow as being something important, and of course that there are no hard and fast rules for anything (that the ears and intuition guide you). You have made it clear that working on music and practicing is key.

I am curious about your experience with a personal tipping point. Not worldly success or monetary gain. But I find myself having tons of beats, most not finished, I dj, I am a mixing engineer here and there. Sometimes it feels like I can't finish a song. Any advice? Did you have that issue? How did you get through it. How do you find the time for it all? Lots of times im like "should I focus on one thing?" etc.....

I guess im looking for a philosophical insight on breaking through to your own personal "lane".....maybe a lightbulb moment or something? Im sure you have had many...but maybe one of your personal favorites? I dont even know if that made sense. Just started listening to your work as a result of this thread. Thanks for all u have contributed!
Old 16th November 2011
Gear Addict

Hi,

Some time ago there was an interview on something like PBS I think.In this interview you made reference to a 'chart' you use for the samples in a track.

In my head I envisaged a chart which was 4 squares x 4 squares to represent the pads on the mpc. Then in each square the sample name and tuning was written. Again,this is only what I envisaged from what i was listening to.

any chance you could elaborate on the chart and its use ?

thanks
Old 21st November 2011
Here for the gear

Hey Rj,
I'm from sydney and got to see you and Kid Koala perform in kings cross many years back and i've been following you ever since. I must say your evolution has been something that i aspire to as a producer. Really digging the new Icebird album.
Hopefully when you get back from tour and sit down with your favourite cobbler you could talk about your process of audio transfer from the mpc to profools. ie which one you slave and if you have midi sync issues if any?
Is there any time correction you have to do once inside protools?
Nice one bro i hope this finds you well.
cheers j
Old 21st November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
Hey Rj,
I'm from sydney and got to see you and Kid Koala perform in kings cross many years back and i've been following you ever since. I must say your evolution has been something that i aspire to as a producer. Really digging the new Icebird album.
Hopefully when you get back from tour and sit down with your favourite cobbler you could talk about your process of audio transfer from the mpc to profools. ie which one you slave and if you have midi sync issues if any?
Is there any time correction you have to do once inside protools?
Nice one bro i hope this finds you well.
cheers j
now, i just dump in w/ no midi. if it wont fit on 8 tracks, i comp stuff. then i'll group the tracks and move them around as needed. ive had issues w/ midi+mpc+PT so i dont mess w/ it anymore.
Old 22nd November 2011
Here for the gear

thanks for your advice, appreciate your time.best j
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear Head

What's up RJ, I hope this hasn't been answered, but I was going through this thread a while back and you mentioned how you aim to sequence your drums to achieve a realistic/live sound.
As a learning-sample based muscisian myself, I've had a lot of problems overcoming this and ultimately resulting to the infamous 2-bar loop.
I would like to respectively ask on how you developed this live and exciting style of sample-based drumming.
I couldn't possibly think of a better way to ask that question, but I would love to learn from you, I hope you know what I mean!
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear Head
This post is pure gold. Thank you mister RJ!
Old 14th December 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speologic View Post
This post is pure gold.
Absolutely agree!!

RJ is definitely an amazing producer.
Reading these Q&A's
is very inspiring and motivating.

Thanks for taking the time RJ to answering questions,

I'm positive every one here really appreciates it.
Old 29th December 2011
Gear Head
long time lurker here, love this thread just read through the whole thing.

love your music RJ, no doubt keep up the good work.

quick question, since most of the things i could ask have already been asked:
on the Gimmiesumdeath beat you did for The Leak Bros (one of my favorite albums and favorite tracks, even though you only did one beat), was that samples, or no? or half and half?

also, have you had lots of time to hang out with tame one, and if so is he a cool guy?

thanks brother

-sack
Old 29th December 2011
Lives for gear
hey RJ!

got a couple:
1) What's the best work you ever did on the worst piece of gear?
2) What is your philosophy re: sampling?

Thanx!
Old 31st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryPlaylist View Post
Bully Gets Spinning Back Kick to the Face! | EveryPlaylist.com

Check out this video of a bully getting roundhouse kicked to the face!! this is SO SICK!!
hijacking a thread is not SICK. quite annoying actually.
delete delete
Old 4th January 2012
Here for the gear

rjd2 drum question

do you think it's lazy to use step sequencers in the drum creation process?

i use Logic Pro UltraBeat Step.S then when i feel a lil more energetic and lively i use Battery 3 and just lay out the drum patterns manually
Old 4th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisFC View Post
do you think it's lazy to use step sequencers in the drum creation process?

i use Logic Pro UltraBeat Step.S then when i feel a lil more energetic and lively i use Battery 3 and just lay out the drum patterns manually
no, and you shouldnt care about that kind of thing.
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Checking out the Icebird tracks on Youtube right now. Excellent!

I have a plan to go to Amoeba today and purchase a copy on CD (assuming they have it).

I caught an RJD2 set a couple years ago at the Shoreline Amphitheater and really enjoyed it. I was already a fan of the Deadringer album and I was curious to see if you could "bring it" live and it was indeed brought!

Much respect good sir...

Any tour plans?

Also, I do have 1 question: what do you consider a "success" now in terms of units shipped? Feel free to disregard this question
Old 8th January 2012
Gear Maniac

no proper "tour" plans, but i've always got gigs.

success is how you define it. suffice to say, at this point, i've effectively given up on selling records. i appreciate all the support of folks who buy my albums; unfortunately, at this point the name of the game is spend as little as possible making it, and hope it gets a synch. that's the only way recordings can make money in my world. im currently ~5k in the hole on the Icebird album-a record i think is arguably the best thing ive ever put out.
Old 9th January 2012
Here for the gear

I know what you mean in regards to album sales Rj, It's well and truly come to an end. It's a little bit heart breaking when you put so much time and money into making each album only to see it not rewarded in that sense or at least breaking even. Like you say publishing and gigging is the way forward these days but to get a good synch is getting harder also.
Don't worry about your Icebird album it will pay for itself even if I and the rest of these guys on the forum have to buy a second copy.
What people don't realise is that if artists (especially independent artists) can't recoup their album costs then the fans won't get to hear another album, makes sense to support the records and the artist.
Don't mean to preach, it just came out that way.
Peace j
Old 11th January 2012
Gear Head

Hi RJD2,

For a bedroom producer, how important is it to live in a major city with a thriving scene for hip hop/electronic music? I know the internet has created new options for promoting yourself and collaborating with others, but is it sufficient to do all this online? In other words, how much value would you place in making face-to-face connections and its importance in the long run?
Old 20th January 2012
Here for the gear

YOU CAN NOT JUST SWEEP RACISM UNDER A RUG!! WE WANT PEACE, WE WANT DAYL SUSPENDED. ON BEHALF OF THE WHOLE HISPANIC COMMUNITY AND THOSE WHO ARE VICTIMS OF RACISM DAILY TONY B DO THE RIGHT THING. SUSPEND DAYL WE WANT PEACE.

If Pete is suspended HOW IS DAYL NOT?!?!? DO THE RIGHT THING TONY

WE WANT PEACE!

WE WANT PEACE!

WE WANT PEACE!

WE WANT PEACE!
Old 26th January 2012
Here for the gear

RJ,

I was wondering if you use any of the timestrech/compress algorithms in the MPC 2000XL and if yes which ones are your favorites?
Old 29th January 2012
Lives for gear

Is it just me or does the title track from the new movie Haywire sound an awful lot like RJ's Since We Last Spoke:

(1) Haywire Soundtrack - Haywire - YouTube

RJD2 - Since We Last Spoke - YouTube

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search