The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Workstations and VST's Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

Workstations and VST's

okay this is not a VST verse workstation thread. Just my opinion on things. Okay as I have first been a VST user for years. I finally got my studio the way I wanted. MPC, MV, Motif, Fantom. Korg M3 now. I will say WORKSTATIONS are fun and have lots of hands on appeal but boy do the the sounds get pretty redundant. To be honest I notice the motif sounds are quite the same as a fantom. to be honest there is no point in having more then 1 workstation. I wish I could go back and just buy 1 as a main board and save lots of money.

Now that said, KORG is probably the best of all workstations the sound quality is just fantastic. Hands down if I had to buy 1 it would be Korg they know what they are doing with sound quality, built quality and features.

Next would be Fantom due to the fact that I love their piano roll and sequencing on that is just like a DAW.

Motif xs6 is okayi it would probably be the only board I WOULD not buy again. Sounds are good but it is intuitive and honestly I find the 6,000 arps utterly useless. I have all expansions for it but i havent bout the expanded memory which is lame to make us buy memory when we drop almost 3 grand for the board. The Fantom I didnt need to expand memory. Virus TI is my next buy and more likely will be the last peice of hardware I ever buy for producing. VSTs I am now slowing integrating back into my setup. But I will never sell my hardware, because it looks good and expensive when clients or friends come over.....makes me feel more pro.

The point of this is to let newbies know that you only need 1 workstation and analog synth would be good compliment. Just ranting
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

yeah one main workstation works for me. Depending on the machine u can get expansion boards and if that aint enough there are plenty of sound modules to control. Ive got alot of heat on here for being hardcore hardware but i really think theres no comparison. Im all for computer post production but to me vst instruments just suck. Its like comparing driving a car to a car video game. heres when people begin to b1tch as usual
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

well a workstation should be all one needs period to be honest. It is designed to do all of the work one would need to do to compose a song. Thats the idea behind it. I think a workstation teamed with a drum machine is more than enough for anyone. You shouldn't need a bunch of sound modules and vsts also. Same way that I don't think people really need all of **** they have anyway myself included. I have a mpc an eps classic and an s3000 knowing that the eps or the mpc are more than enough. i have reason also which does what all of those do plus doesnt require maintenience or floppies
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

well now that i just came across $5,000 i am ebaying for more workstations somebody stop me!
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

GRO teach me how to just come across $5,000 please!

Even though i just picked up a few workstations myself this month!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search