The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How clear can we make this?
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

I always wondered what the difference was when a credits on a track said for example either

Produced by Kanye West & No I.d vs Produced by Timbaland co-produced by Danja Handz vs Produced by Dr. Dre keys by Mark Batson

I know there's a difference between them all and I also know every producer agreement is different, but what is the true difference her is any? I also know that a producer is more than just doing a beat so if you were the one that produced the song as in with the you should get slated as the producer, but where does that leave the guy that helped you make the track?

Or how about this If I start a beat with a drum pattern and a friend of mine comes over and plays all the keys on the track and we get the beat sold neither of us actually producing the song with the artist (just the beat) how should this be credited?
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.forbes View Post
I always wondered what the difference was when a credits on a track said for example either

Produced by Kanye West & No I.d vs Produced by Timbaland co-produced by Danja Handz vs Produced by Dr. Dre keys by Mark Batson

I know there's a difference between them all and I also know every producer agreement is different, but what is the true difference her is any? I also know that a producer is more than just doing a beat so if you were the one that produced the song as in with the you should get slated as the producer, but where does that leave the guy that helped you make the track?

Or how about this If I start a beat with a drum pattern and a friend of mine comes over and plays all the keys on the track and we get the beat sold neither of us actually producing the song with the artist (just the beat) how should this be credited?

On the first example it looks like Kanye West & No I.D. produced the song. On the second it looks like Timbaland produced the song and Danja produced either the vocals or the instrumental (My guess, instrumental).
Old 16th December 2010

It's all soooo hazy.... Ha!

They are really just words on an album layout. As long as you get the credit. Sometimes it's politics(or whatever ya call it) & sometimes...it's just the layout.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

There arent hard rules to how credits are drawn up. You'll never be sure about who did what just by looking at credits. Hell, credits can be REALLY misleading.

To tell u the truth all 3 credits can actually mean the same thing.

Lavish
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Lavish View Post
There arent hard rules to how credits are drawn up. You'll never be sure about who did what just by looking at credits. Hell, credits can be REALLY misleading.

To tell u the truth all 3 credits can actually mean the same thing.

Lavish
To say nothing about ghost production. Or bungled credits where people don't get the credit on the record they were supposed to (see Ken talking about that here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...ml#post5649482)

If you really want to know who actually did what on a track, album credits are more or less useless. Take them with a grain of salt.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

yea i read that post, thanks fellas

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search