The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Portable set up - The ultimate question
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Portable set up - The ultimate question

Hi Slutz, I currently operate on a Miko from Open labs which is great at what it does but want to sell up and work from a laptop.

1) I have decided to go the Mac route - I love Mac and have always enjoyed working with them - I will buy a new probook top spec etc. (Anything i should look out for here?)

2)Midi controllers are a non-issue as i have plenty!

3)What Daw? I currently use ableton but am continually starting to think that it is limited and friends preach about Logic which i have never used. I think this is probably because ableton was so easy to operate. I am willing to learn - should i make the move or is ableton ok?

4) VST's to load this bad boy with! - Ok so aside from a DAW i dont wnat to overload with silly amounts of VST's. What would you say are the nessesities - Sound wise im taking a couple soft synths that i know and love and a huge sample library of declicious goodness. Any nice effects packs etc.

5)Monitoring - ok so i have monitors etc but what is the best way to hook it up? Should i be going for some external interface?

I understand this is a super generic question but would be great to hear what you all think?

Thanks

Kem
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

If you're just wanting to record, Logic express and is really affordable and has a great workflow and a ton of horsepower. That said, Protools is obviously the industry standard these days and for good reason.

If you're getting a portable setup ready for a possible live situation, ableton is amazing for that application.

why would you want monitors for a portable setup though?
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

unpacking mine now as i was reading. sounds like you got it figured out. it personal preference really. Just demo a bunch of stuff and you should figure out which vsts you should buy. I bootcamped to run Sonar X1, with Komplete, some Tone 2 and Steinberg.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search