The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Loving PT 9
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

The new computer here is very nice and smooth.

I also can immediately contrast the performance of the system with the 64 bit OS versus the 32 bit. I promptly installed Reaper 64 on Bob's computer so I could see the advantages to converting over.

Its nuts when your DAW says it has 12 GB of available ram in the project.

Hopefully PT 64 bit will not be too far off.

At the moment, I haven't broken 1.5GB for a whole project in Reaper 3 (32 bit).

Eventually it will be nice to switch over to more RAM and Windows 64.

PT9 is much nicer to work in, its a whole different ballgame for certain.

For the time being, Reaper 64 also makes an excellent Rewire client into PT so you can use Reaper to load the larger sample collections etc but utilizing the extra Ram that PT can't access due to the 32 bit coding. I know that a few folks are using VSL or something like that to get similar results. The difference being that Reaper is 40 bucks and free to try until you buy.

Worth considering if you have a monstrous machine like PSM or are on a Mac with LOTS and Ram but using a 32 bit DAW that is Rewire capable.

Peace
Illumination
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
The new computer here is very nice and smooth.

I also can immediately contrast the performance of the system with the 64 bit OS versus the 32 bit. I promptly installed Reaper 64 on Bob's computer so I could see the advantages to converting over.

Its nuts when your DAW says it has 12 GB of available ram in the project.

Hopefully PT 64 bit will not be too far off.

At the moment, I haven't broken 1.5GB for a whole project in Reaper 3 (32 bit).

Eventually it will be nice to switch over to more RAM and Windows 64.

PT9 is much nicer to work in, its a whole different ballgame for certain.

For the time being, Reaper 64 also makes an excellent Rewire client into PT so you can use Reaper to load the larger sample collections etc but utilizing the extra Ram that PT can't access due to the 32 bit coding. I know that a few folks are using VSL or something like that to get similar results. The difference being that Reaper is 40 bucks and free to try until you buy.

Worth considering if you have a monstrous machine like PSM or are on a Mac with LOTS and Ram but using a 32 bit DAW that is Rewire capable.

Peace
Illumination
im using reaper 4 on this since snow leopard and protools is acting up. I can say so far so great. going too track n mix this ep with it and see what i get.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killah_Trakz View Post
I would love that, send me some specs though some of my plugs are mac only.

Man...... ive reformated twenty 11 times and did new new installs still the same bull****. Nothing works.
Im stumped.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Im "set in my ways" with Pro Tools because Im very proficient with it and used to the work flow.
Ill let "the young bucks" run with Reaper......not for me quite yet.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Im "set in my ways" with Pro Tools because Im very proficient with it and used to the work flow.
Once PT9 comes out with the 64 bit coding, you'll be in fine shape!

@ Killah Trakz:

If you're using Reaper to mix, make sure you acquaint yourself with all the usual hotkeys and combo mouse commands.

Ctrl
Alt
Shift

in combination with Left or Right mouse buttons on PC all results in different actions. Hence the less need for menu based editing.

The same applies for Mac.

The workflow in Pro Tools and Reaper is actually quite similar but stuff is just named differently.

Back to the topic.

PT9 is a much needed improvement to the PT engine, not as much for the HD users I think but for the LE users.

Ultimately, increased track counts, increased I/O, ADC and opening the gates for 3rd party AD/DA is just AWESOME. I'm moreso into the OTB stuff and LEs 18 channels of I/O was always a WTH moment for me. Now that 32 is standard, its much more promising.

The OMF native feature is dope too!

Peace
Illumination
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Joey Jeff, I like the track in your sig. I like the very lite, friendly piano melody, and the really ominous dark background. It's a cool contrast.

thanks! i appreciate the feedback bro
Old 17th December 2010
T1M
Gear Maniac

PT7 Looks like it was made in 1999
PT8 Looks like it was made in 2003
PT9 Looks like it was made in 2007?

I haven't had a chance to use it yet but it wouldn't surprise me. Ill try to keep an open mind.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'll let that young bucks comment slide..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Once PT9 comes out with the 64 bit coding, you'll be in fine shape!

@ Killah Trakz:

If you're using Reaper to mix, make sure you acquaint yourself with all the usual hotkeys and combo mouse commands.

Ctrl
Alt
Shift

in combination with Left or Right mouse buttons on PC all results in different actions. Hence the less need for menu based editing.

The same applies for Mac.

The workflow in Pro Tools and Reaper is actually quite similar but stuff is just named differently.

Back to the topic.

PT9 is a much needed improvement to the PT engine, not as much for the HD users I think but for the LE users.

Ultimately, increased track counts, increased I/O, ADC and opening the gates for 3rd party AD/DA is just AWESOME. I'm moreso into the OTB stuff and LEs 18 channels of I/O was always a WTH moment for me. Now that 32 is standard, its much more promising.

The OMF native feature is dope too!

Peace
Illumination
Yeah but with macs its great but annoying....... im tired of when apple drops a new os we all must conform.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

PT9 basically has allowed Pro Tools to significantly catch up with the rest of the DAW world.

To be honest, I think most Pro Tool lovers are like myself. Deep down, we love PT because we've been using it mad long. I've been using PT since version 5. So I'm very happy with PT 9.

I do use other DAWs from time to time. There's no problems, I'm just not as familiar so I can't do all the things I can do in PT nearly as fast.

So couple PT9 with a computer that can power a moon landing and I'm pleased as punch.

I have sworn left and right that I will learn Reaper. Langston showed me a few of it's features and I am really impressed. The feature set was very intelligently designed - clearly made by people who use DAWs frequently and found certain things that would be nice to have available. Maybe I'll do a discount mix for someone and use Reaper to whip the snot out of it!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

are you sure PT9 is not W7 64 bit compatible??

the avid forums have people who are running it successfully with professed better performance they were getting in 32 bit...
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
PT9 basically has allowed Pro Tools to significantly catch up with the rest of the DAW world.

To be honest, I think most Pro Tool lovers are like myself. Deep down, we love PT because we've been using it mad long. I've been using PT since version 5. So I'm very happy with PT 9.
I think this is the case with most DAW's. Once you've used something for many years it just becomes part of how you work and you tend to work how it works and base many things off of that. I'd been using Cubase for so long that by the time I finally got into PT (by necessity) it just never quite felt as right to me as the thing I'd been using and, as I said above, occasionally adjusting my work habits to along the way.

Along comes Studio One which is "Cubase Redux" in many ways and it felt "right" immediately. Go figure... I'm leaving Cubase now. First full DAW switch ever.

PT9 being fully native should make many long time PT users very, very happy. It looks like a really fantastic product. Enjoy.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killah_Trakz View Post
I'll let that young bucks comment slide..............

Yeah but with macs its great but annoying....... im tired of when apple drops a new os we all must conform.
With Macs,its "the pussy of the month syndrome"..ie tiger,panther,leopard,snow leopard,,whats next alley cat..pussy cat???
Not for me
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Id Ridden View Post
are you sure PT9 is not W7 64 bit compatible??

the avid forums have people who are running it successfully with professed better performance they were getting in 32 bit...
Me included. No problems.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Me included. No problems.
okay, good to know... thx
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I must say that so far Im really loving PT 9.
Im running it with Windows 7 Ultimate on a custom I7 8 core processor with 12 gigs of ram and it runs very smoothly on a buffer of 64.thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
What kind of hard drive array are you running and how do you have it allocated?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface View Post
What kind of hard drive array are you running and how do you have it allocated?
3 Caviar Black 1tb drives

C-System
E Audio- 1
F Audio- 2

Two more WD Audio drives drives from my old system for a total of five drives.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
3 Caviar Black 1tb drives

C-System
E Audio- 1
F Audio- 2

Two more WD Audio drives drives from my old system for a total of five drives.
Nice...thx thumbsup I saw a thread that I can't find now...where whoever was putting together your system was doing some sort of shootout. How'd that turn out...and/or do you remember the link?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice...thx thumbsup I saw a thread that I can't find now...where whoever was putting together your system was doing some sort of shootout. How'd that turn out...and/or do you remember the link?
There wasnt a shootout regarding the system.
All I did was go to a pro facility choose the peripherals based around W7 on an Intel 950/12gigs of ddr3 ram ,great mother board, 750w power supply,cooling fans,etc and installed PT 9,fired it up and ..voilla!
Old 17th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Time to convert to a souped up PC.
Im running very smooth at a buffer setting of 64 with a ****load of UAD plugs so I dont understand the problem
I'm glad you like the PC. That is great.. There are those of us that love the MAC just as much! If you do it right, either comp is great!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
There wasnt a shootout regarding the system.
All I did was go to a pro facility choose the peripherals based around W7 on an Intel 950/12gigs of ddr3 ram ,great mother board, 750w power supply,cooling fans,etc and installed PT 9,fired it up and ..voilla!
Oh, maybe I misread or something...oh well. Maybe it was plugins or something...no worries.
Old 17th December 2010
Here for the gear

ADAT into Focusrite in PT9

I've just gotten a Focusrite Liquid interface and I'm trying to get my ADAT working.. I'm pretty new to all this 3rd party interface stuff.
Could use some help!?
I've got signal coming into the Octane but doesn't end up in the Focusrite... Do I need some extra drivers or something?

thanx!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, maybe I misread or something...oh well. Maybe it was plugins or something...no worries.
It may have been a converter shootout at a recent forum conference.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldeans View Post
I've just gotten a Focusrite Liquid interface and I'm trying to get my ADAT working.. I'm pretty new to all this 3rd party interface stuff.
Could use some help!?
I've got signal coming into the Octane but doesn't end up in the Focusrite... Do I need some extra drivers or something?

thanx!
Dont know much about that one.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
With Macs,its "the pussy of the month syndrome"..ie tiger,panther,leopard,snow leopard,,whats next alley cat..pussy cat???
Not for me
COUGAR
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
If you guys want to really get your mind blown get a SSD for OS+ (most used) sample libs, move the W7 users folder to a fixed disk. I got a c300 256GB.

Holy CRAP!! HD with a couple hundred plugs loads in about 10 seconds. . . sessions load probably 20x faster, I can flip through omnisphere presets and maschine kits etc like HW romplers. . . Also PT8 even (HD W7 64) is much more stable.

Even more cool is the fact that over time you can use RAID to scale the size and speed of ssds. . . With a HW raid card, 2+GB/Sec is possible. I figure a year from now my C300 might be going for ~200 or so and it will be time to start snagging a few of them, even ICH10 raid will do 600MB/sec. . .
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
If you guys want to really get your mind blown get a SSD for OS+ (most used) sample libs, move the W7 users folder to a fixed disk. I got a c300 256GB.

Holy CRAP!! HD with a couple hundred plugs loads in about 10 seconds. . . sessions load probably 20x faster, I can flip through omnisphere presets and maschine kits etc like HW romplers. . . Also PT8 even (HD W7 64) is much more stable.
My buddy just put 4 SSD drives in his mac pro for editing video and I almost pooped when i saw the boot time on the system and on final cut. Its an old xeon quad core with like 2.3 ghz and its running like one of those new 12x3.0ghz mac pros. those SSDs are definitely going to be part of my new computer when I upgrade.

check this out:
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbetter View Post
My buddy just put 4 SSD drives in his mac pro for editing video and I almost pooped when i saw the boot time on the system and on final cut. Its an old xeon quad core with like 2.3 ghz and its running like one of those new 12x3.0ghz mac pros. those SSDs are definitely going to be part of my new computer when I upgrade.

check this out:
That's an awesome video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post

It's worth looking into for those of us with soft synths with huge libraries. The load times on some of this stuff is crazy.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

Got off to a bumpy start. Upgraded from 7.4/HD3 Dual processor G5 to an HD3 8-core/12 meg mac pro. A lot of plug in upgrades and a few that don't work at all. A few quirky "pt is critically low on memory" warnings....with 12meg and an 8-core beast? Just added HEAT today. Got everything running almost as good as my 7.4 setup....almost
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

Avidesign took too long to get they **** 2gether... im set in my reaper ways now and im goood.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

considering switching from Logic 9 to PT 9 because now that I record other people who I have to edit the hell out of, Logic's audio editing just isn't up to par with Pro Tool's...yet :D And now that I don't use any of Logic's stock settings and have converted to Komplete & Kore & Maschine I have no use for Logic's Software Instruments that drew me into it when I was first starting out :D

I would miss the Compressor though, to be honest. Ran PT8 LE and I like Logic's Space Designer and Compressor far more than PT's stock plugs...those are two things I would miss, as well as my developed work flow in Logic. But I'm willing to convert to PT for the editing capabilities that Logic doesn't have.

Any Logic users willing to comment on this?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search