The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cost of production? Condenser Microphones
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Cost of production?

Hi, I've been doing a lot of recording for other people lately and I was wondering, what are people charging to have other people record in their studios? I have limited equipment, a tube mic, mbox 2 pro, lots of VI's and plugin's, nice macbook, PT9, and obtain some really professional sounding stuff. I'm no pro, but I kind of want to be making some money on this. What's the price?
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenassaproject View Post
Hi, I've been doing a lot of recording for other people lately and I was wondering, what are people charging to have other people record in their studios? I have limited equipment, a tube mic, mbox 2 pro, lots of VI's and plugin's, nice macbook, PT9, and obtain some really professional sounding stuff. I'm no pro, but I kind of want to be making some money on this. What's the price?
You dont have a "studio"
Wait till you amass some gear and then if you are good at engineering maybe you can charge about $20.00 an hour,if that.

These days depending on the studio and the engineer,anywhere from 40-80 dollars per hour and up.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

What ever you can get. I'd start low while you learn and obtain better gear as you start to get paid for it. As you learn more, give yourself a raise! You are also talking about two different things here. Production and Recording. If you're production is great with that set up, you may get good money for the track. However, I'm not going to pay you top dollar to come record through your mbox.
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
You dont have a "studio"
Wait till you amass some gear and then if you are good at engineering maybe you can charge about $20.00 an hour,if that.

These days depending on the studio and the engineer,anywhere from 40-80 dollars per hour and up.
Ok. So what kind of gear are you talking about? Like some hardware and a console? I'm looking to upgrade soon anyway. Where should I start? Say i've got a couple grand to spend....
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle View Post
What ever you can get. I'd start low while you learn and obtain better gear as you start to get paid for it. As you learn more, give yourself a raise! You are also talking about two different things here. Production and Recording. If you're production is great with that set up, you may get good money for the track. However, I'm not going to pay you top dollar to come record through your mbox.
I'm picking up an ART channel strip with tube eq and comp on it with a new mic. Also thinking about a Pro VLA dual channel comp. Low cost gear but good write up's as far as I know. What do you think about the ART line up? (good deal or waste of money). Good start or should i invest a little more?
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Studio definition

What gear would you constitute as a beginner studio?
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok. So what kind of gear are you talking about? Like some hardware and a console? I'm looking to upgrade soon anyway. Where should I start? Say i've got a couple grand to spend....
A couple of grand aint ****,bro.

You have to really research the issue carefully and start off with about say,fifty grand and then go from there.
And truthfully,fifty grand aint **** either.
If you want to build a studio where you can charge people to record with pro results,budget at least one hundred thousand dollars...for starters.
It aint cheap son.
BTW..you can throw that MBOX in the trash,son.
Old 16th December 2010
Cost of production?

I'm @$50-60k in and about 1/10th where I need to be.

Not even including room treatments or facility.

A good start is about 20k.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm picking up an ART channel strip with tube eq and comp on it with a new mic. Also thinking about a Pro VLA dual channel comp. Low cost gear but good write up's as far as I know. What do you think about the ART line up? (good deal or waste of money). Good start or should i invest a little more?
You cant charge people with that wackass gear.
Its ok just to lay down some ideas for yourself.
Thats about it.
But first,you must learn how to work the ****,bro.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
What gear would you constitute as a beginner studio?
no beginner gear is in a studio, a studio is a physical space that is designed and used for one thing-music.

A converted 2nd bedroom with $15gs of stuff in it, is still a converted 2nd bedroom with $15gs of stuff- not a studio.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol

you can tell the folks you record to buy lunch (2 triple bacon pizzas), thats about it
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

Cost of production?

Yeah, cause a 100k desk sounds a totally feasible option in this case!!!! Man, i guess we should be chucking out anything that's worth under a 100k!!
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickmckinlay View Post
Yeah, cause a 100k desk sounds a totally feasible option in this case!!!! Man, i guess we should be chucking out anything that's worth under a 100k!!
the op made these statements:

1) i'm no pro

2) I kind of want to be making some money on this

then talks about low end art stuff

realistically you can't expect to make money off that... that ain't a studio

people PAY for actual studios with impressive equipment

cats can go to guitar center and buy them an mbox and **** and do it themself, what they need you (general) for??
Old 16th December 2010
Cost of production?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickmckinlay
Man, i guess we should be chucking out anything that's worth under a 100k!!
Yes you should. And tell me where you do!

Think about it. That's crazy.

But when charging people you look to who you are catering.
Also how much meaningful time you have invested in the craft of recording?
Even in a small studio, cabling alone is going to run @1-2k.
Then daw/interface @10k+
Decent mic @$1000("your studio only has one mic? That sucks...")
Sooo, decent mic x 3.
Utility mics (sm57's, 421's,etc) @2000
Oh, crap! Mic stands!!! @1200
Mic [email protected] x 3
Compressor @2000 x 2
[email protected] x2

Man... Not even getting started! Phew!
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

Cost of production?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoLeoLeo

Then daw/interface @10k+
Sooo, decent mic x 3.
Compressor @2000 x 2
[email protected] x2

Totally agree!!
It is more the o.p. Getting, (even if a bit) of cash for his services, and if he's good.... Why not...you've got dj Khalil making Clipse beats with pt, guitar rig a presonus central station and talent...
But totally know what you're saying...
Old 16th December 2010
First off Gear is Gear........ No different than a construction worker's hammer, nail, saw, or drill.

Sure you can Charge to the unsuspecting client solely based off your gear but if your ears suck he/she and their associates will never be coming back no matter how much money you have invested in gear.

ITB or OTB it does not matter it is what the end product sounds like.

I am hybrid mostly out of the box here but I know a fellow rock engineer who has less than 5 grand invested in his studio and holds multiple contracts with labels that makes twice as much yearly than some of the big timers here on gearslutz.

Gear is nice to have man but don't let people tell you what you can and cannot charge simply based off gear.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

Charge a fair price, don't rip anyone off. If they aren't pleased with the results, give their money back. But for gods sake, don't make the mistake that thousands of others around here have made and spend your life savings or go into severe debt for gear. Start with a decent mic, interface, and a few bass traps and go from there. If you're working on a project that requires a larger space or specific equipment; rent out a studio, or mics or what have you.
Old 16th December 2010
Cost of production?

Oh, I read a little wrong.

Charge what you think you are worth if it's just you & a mbox. If you start to lug around roadcases and/or start to have overhead adjust accordingly from free to the bacon pizza mentioned before to thousand +.

Most of everything I have was aquired off of making music. No life savings spent, just most of my lifetime...

When starting out I based rates off of gear I needed. I started charging, sorta haha, when I toted around a 001, t20's&cheap headphone amp, sm57, mk012, & 737sp after I sold/gave away all my midlevel/consumer junk. That was in about 99-00 I think, when the 001 kicked ass! Work a day with ya for $100. Next day went bought a 57 & cable. Maybe work in that direction. Just don't get a liking for old cars with the gear addiction.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

with a couple gs this is exactly what i would do, and what im going to do

apogee rosetta with firewire card (dope converters / interface for your pro tools 9)

Blue Robbie + Kiwi

actually thats all u need along with some good sounding plugins.

idk what kind of monitors you have but i reccomend

JBL LSR4328p i go them sounding good on most of my mixes. they collaborate with your room to help you have a flatter mixing envoirment, i definetly say it helps.

all that there will run u about 3-4 gz get it used u will have jayz quality vocals considering you have a nice booth or a way to record your vocals without too much reflection
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

People can talk all they want.

And yes I agree, a real studio has to have certain standards.

But at the end of the day, if dude has an art preamp and some mic and can get good results with it, and someone is willing to pay for it, then do it.

People willing to pay a lot to record in your studio with that kinda gear are just stupid though, but that's a different story..
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Charge a token amount since it sounds like you're still learning.. $50 a session/day..
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Feel it out. Start at 20$ an hour and see if your clients stick around or play hard to get.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Your skill set as a tracking engineer versus a mixing engineer is what truly trumps all the rhetoric my friend.

I own an ART Pro VLA, however its modded. In its previous state, it was a kind of flavor unit for bright mics but I always yearned for more from it.

Regarding how much equipment costs, its really about the operator of the equipment.

Last thing I think an aspiring musician needs is to walk into some trust fund kid's playground and realize the guy absolutely sucks at his job.

The reason I have the gear I have, regardless of how sexy or how much notoriety it has is because I know how to use it. And once I learned how to use it properly, I promptly began using it improperly, developing my own styles of using the equipment.

If a piece of equipment is in my possession its because there's a use for it in the grand scheme of things.

While engineers can piss and moan about why they do and don't like gear, it's really about the end result at the end of the day.

I know that I prefer certain kinds of gear over others but I always go back to the individual at the controls versus the equipment. If you are a competent engineer then you will know what the gear you have access to can and can't do to the audio you're working with.

I just had somebody the other day ask me about the vocals on the first Goonies album (cuz they said they sounded good LOL) and the recording chain is absolutely silly compared to what I own now however, if people dig it then all of my qualms really don't matter.

I mean seriously.

Rode NT1A to a Rane MS1b to a dbx 163x to Colortone Pro to ART Pro VLA to dbx 263x. The chain in and of itself is under $1000 and was a pain in the ass to record and mix with.

However if you're determined to learn your gear and work with what you got then you can accomplish results. If people are convinced that you are a capable engineer then there's your way to charging a rate. You can always use other studios to access gear you don't own. It ain't the end of the world to track vocals at home and then mix somewhere else.

Peace
Illumination
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

As many here have said your rig is not a studio its gear in a room inside of your house. Thats not a bad thing it just is what it is. If one has to come to Gs to ask a question like this however I wonder if they are ready to really record or build a studio anyway. Crawl before you can walk right now you are trying to run but you don't have a foundation to stand on.
Old 17th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
A couple of grand aint ****,bro.

You have to really research the issue carefully and start off with about say,fifty grand and then go from there.
And truthfully,fifty grand aint **** either.
If you want to build a studio where you can charge people to record with pro results,budget at least one hundred thousand dollars...for starters.
It aint cheap son.
BTW..you can throw that MBOX in the trash,son.
this man does not play

LOL
Old 17th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoLeoLeo View Post

Then daw/interface @10k+
Sooo, decent mic x 3.
Compressor @2000 x 2
[email protected] x2

And Leo you are even lying to us with the 1000k for mics, I mean your c800g is like 8k new and it's 1 mic!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Charge whatever you think you're worth. Do you get results? Are people happy with them? Ignore all the other comments about how much money other engineers have spent on their studios. Can you make other people's music sound PROFESSIONAL? If so, you can charge a professional fee. That's it. Period. End of story.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malki View Post
with a couple gs this is exactly what i would do, and what im going to do

apogee rosetta with firewire card (dope converters / interface for your pro tools 9)

Blue Robbie + Kiwi

actually thats all u need along with some good sounding plugins.

idk what kind of monitors you have but i reccomend

JBL LSR4328p i go them sounding good on most of my mixes. they collaborate with your room to help you have a flatter mixing envoirment, i definetly say it helps.

all that there will run u about 3-4 gz get it used u will have jayz quality vocals considering you have a nice booth or a way to record your vocals without too much reflection

Great choice on conveters, I have the Rosetta 200 with firewire card and love it, also have the Blue Robbie, one of the most underated preamps out there. Had the Kiwi just upgraded it to a Manley Ref C, I use Logic Pro but will be adding a Tube Tech CL1B soon and maybe Pro tools 9 to have for collabs. But back to the post, I am strategically buying certain gear now, so when I open my commercial studio I will have less to buy, and can put that money toward a great mixing desk. At my personal studio my room is treated with Gik panels, a nice gobo, mogami gold cables throughout and nice mid level to high end equipment. Me being an artist this is great quality sound so much that the commercial studio that mixes some of my stuff raves about my quality. Although that is great to hear, before I start charging people, I want to be at a certain level engineering and equipment wise, getting there but not there yet.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Head

haha so all you guys just had 100k to start your studios? come on now. everyone has to start somewhere. You can charge people with your setup and just have some smaller local acts record with you. reinvest whatever money you make back into more gear and BUILD. Also working a full time job on top of it helps and just record on the weekends to start out. No one starting out is going to take out a 100 grand loan to build a studio, let's be realistic.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyjneilson View Post
First off Gear is Gear........ No different than a construction worker's hammer, nail, saw, or drill.
I think this argument is kinda funny... makes me think the people who make it aren't much for carpenters. Sure, you don't need laser levels or Li-Ion powered Ipod boomboxes to be a good carpenter, but anyone ACTUALLY using a HAMMER in 2010 for most framing does not deserve to get paid much for it.

Basic gear for a 3 man framing crew:

Compressor + backup (maintained)
Few hoses
Few Nail guns (maintained)
Chop/Miter/Radial arm saw (either all 3 or one of those nifty new combo ones)
Circular Saw
Reciprocating saw
Should have a portable table saw and wet saw sooner or later.
Metal/Masonry/wood/concreteboard/tile blades
Grinder, w/ collection of wheels
Levels (a bunch in different sizes)
Plumb-bob's or lasers, snap lines and gallon jugs of chalk
Hammers (including specialty ones like rubber mallets, sledge, etc)
Basic plumbing and electrical stuff including shark-bites PEX, romex, wirenuts, line tester etc
A huge pile of extension cords and power strips
safety gear
Ramset (maintained)
Drill with screw tips/masonry bits and a variety of anchors
Drop lights
20 tape measures (no joking)
Box of framing squares in all sizes
Tool belts, steel toed boots etc
Basic tools- pliers, wrenches, socket sets, etc
Ladders (different height's sizes)
Scaffolding
A big truck with a lock box to put it all in.
Insurance

Don't let that stop you from doing some gigs as a basic handy man and building it up from there...Just keep in mind that just like studio stuff going pro is about having all the tools you need to get the job done, and at the end of the day the cost of any ONE piece is never that big of an expense or that big of a payout. IMHO.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search