The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
recommend me a record player please
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

recommend me a record player please

Hi everyone - I usually post in the electronic forum but thought this was a better place for my question. I'm wanting to start getting percussion sounds from vinyl. I won't really be using it for live djing or scratching. Can you guys make any recommendations for a record player? It'll most likely be going straight into my sampler, though a preamp I guess to make it audible.

Nothing fancy. Like there's plenty of old ones on my craigslist, but what should I be looking for, for a player that won't crap out/need too much maintenance? What parts should I be looking at to be in good condition? And what would sound good (if the sound can actually depend much on the record player itself)?

And I'm on a pretty tight budget too. Thanks guys.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Maniac

a record player... lol

you want a turntable, I use a beltdrive numark but you really want a want a direct drive one or else you'll have to adjust the pitch to perfection everytime you press record.
I think the cartridge you'll choose will have a greater impact on the sound than the model of the TT.

dont use an old phono receiver,just get somethin like the art dj preII and you'll be set

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search