The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is it the effects that make this song so clear or is it an expensive mic ? Plz help DAW Software
Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

Is it the effects that make this song so clear or is it an expensive mic ? Plz help

Im new to this so sorry if this is an obvious question to all the experienced ppl on here but ive tryed everything an all different type of effects and still cant get crystal clear vocals like in this song below my vocals seem kinda muddy and just not as clear i got my vocals somewhat clear but still not to the extent of this track could someone point me in the right direction any advice is appreciated and by the way im using a mxl 2006 mic with tascam us-122ii and again somebody plz let me no whats wrong

link to the song tryna get clear vocals like this

Download mp3
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear
This stuff is layered with a little reverb, sounds like it recorded on some decent equipment, impossible to tell you what gear. The beat is minimalistic and the vocals are a little loud which would make it sound clearer...
Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

thanks i appreciate your response im gonna try out your tips and see if that helps but it just seems like no matter what i try it still sounds a little muddy i think a better mic might help but im not sure ive been tryna get clear vocals like this for the longest but nothing works
Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

Just got done seeing what i could do to make it clearer still no luck and on another note it seems like my vocals are clearer when i record in mixcraft and muddy when i work in cubase idk why because i know cubase is way better than mixcraft something just dosnt seem rite
Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

what effects are you using?
Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

Spitfish cheap condensor mic
classic comp vocal
blockfish vintage vocals
overtone geo d more loudness

i use theses because they seem to make it a little bit clearer
Old 15th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh123 View Post
Im new to this so sorry if this is an obvious question to all the experienced ppl on here but ive tryed everything an all different type of effects and still cant get crystal clear vocals like in this song below my vocals seem kinda muddy and just not as clear i got my vocals somewhat clear but still not to the extent of this track could someone point me in the right direction any advice is appreciated and by the way im using a mxl 2006 mic with tascam us-122ii and again somebody plz let me no whats wrong

link to the song tryna get clear vocals like this

Download mp3

Clear vocals don't come from "effects." They are the result of an experienced recording engineer and/or experienced mix engineer using good equipment in a good room. There's no magic element.

Also, some punctuation in your posts would make them easier to read.
Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

Yeah i already knew that i just wanted to make sure that. That was the problem. I already stated in the post that i was a beginner but i felt that maybe a factor was that my equipment might not be as good as the the equipment used to make that song.Thats basically what i wanted to know and i knew my mixing was probably a problem also that's why i brought up effects.I wanted people to inform me on whatever i have to do to obtain clear vocals like in the song. So to achieve my goal should i try a different mic besides the MXL 2006 because the mic used in the song sounds of better quality.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

go to guitar center

they have a little booth with some mics hooked up

put the headphones on and try the different mics

you'll notice that you'll like the way yor voice sounds on some mics and others will sound not so great

buy the one(s) that sounds good to you

simple starting point

if the **** is muddy going in, you need to fix the problem at that stage

efx can't fix it
Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
go to guitar center

they have a little booth with some mics hooked up

put the headphones on and try the different mics

you'll notice that you'll like the way yor voice sounds on some mics and others will sound not so great

buy the one(s) that sounds good to you

simple starting point

if the **** is muddy going in, you need to fix the problem at that stage

efx can't fix it

Thanks i really appreciate that im going to try that ill never buy a mic without testing it out ever again because i have wasted alot of money on these different type of mics and never got the results i was looking for and since im new to this the salesman at the music store portmans to be exact always got me to spend money on a mic they said where to be perfect for vocals at a cheap price. They never really fully explained anything. i just wish i knew this before buying all these cheap 100 dollar mics

O AND HERE'S A LINK TO A VIDEO WHERE SOMEBODY IS USING THE MXL 2006 WATCH AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN BY MUDDY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BybLIL82hc
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

There is no "magic bullet" when it comes to clarity. It is the sum of all parts. The main part being a quality singer.

You can get incredible vocals with a good singer, a $50 chinese condenser, and a simple interface mic pre if there is enough talent in front of and behind the desk.

I know you are looking for advice, but the only thing you really need is more experience...and no one can give that to you.

I can at least impart to you that clarity implies good focus. Approching a mix like a portrait is a good way to visualize how to focus each element. If you crowd the elements of a song into one space you can only narrow your focus onto one element, but if you give each element space then a clearer focus on each element is possible.

It becomes important to be aware of the spaces around each part to really dial in a mix.
Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Vogel View Post
There is no "magic bullet" when it comes to clarity. It is the sum of all parts. The main part being a quality singer.

You can get incredible vocals with a good singer, a $50 chinese condenser, and a simple interface mic pre if there is enough talent in front of and behind the desk.

I know you are looking for advice, but the only thing you really need is more experience...and no one can give that to you.

I can at least impart to you that clarity implies good focus. Approching a mix like a portrait is a good way to visualize how to focus each element. If you crowd the elements of a song into one space you can only narrow your focus onto one element, but if you give each element space then a clearer focus on each element is possible.

It becomes important to be aware of the spaces around each part to really dial in a mix.

I appreciate your words of wisdom it just seems impossible but I'm not going to give up on it i could just buy studio time which would most likely fix the problem but that's alot of cash to throw out and it wouldn't really help me as far as experience goes so im gonna just keep trying and hopefully ill get what im looking for
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have been in/out of studios for over 20 years...it has helped, but not as much as you may think. It wasn't until doing it myself did I learn how to get things right. Don't get hung up on the gear used just yet, you need to start with limitations IMHO. Finding those limitations and what it takes to overcome them will allow you to make educated desicions on what you really need gear-wise to acheive your goals.

You really need to just jump in, and screw up a bunch of mixes until you find your way. It's a huge learning curve, but very rewarding once things start to click. I learn something new everyday
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
I have been in/out of studios for over 20 years...it has helped, but not as much as you may think. It wasn't until doing it myself did I learn how to get things right. Don't get hung up on the gear used just yet, you need to start with limitations IMHO. Finding those limitations and what it takes to overcome them will allow you to make educated desicions on what you really need gear-wise to acheive your goals.

You really need to just jump in, and screw up a bunch of mixes until you find your way. It's a huge learning curve, but very rewarding once things start to click. I learn something new everyday
Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:

Thank you because that's exactly what i was going to do which was give up on my current equipment and go out and buy expensive equipment now looking at it. It wouldn't of really helped because i would have the same knowledge i had from using my previous equipment which would leave me where i left off i'm going to mix a track and put it up 4 feedback if anyone would mind listening to it
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

On another note can somebody let me know how to get the chorus effect
that most rap songs have. My vocals sound pretty good now after a little mixing but chorus kinda plain and yeah i stack my vocals and pan left and right but still not sounding like most hip hop choruses any suggestions or recommended plugins would help i hear alot of peoples chorus that sound different from there verses but not flooded with effects but still have that clear sound where you cant really tell effects where added if you get what im saying.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search