The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best vocal chain for untreated room... $$1500 Condenser Microphones
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

Best vocal chain for untreated room... $$1500

going into an apogee ensemble into PT9....i im going to be moving relatively soon and dont want to treat the rooms in my house,, i will move my setup to the rec room for vocal tracks because theres alot more carpet and couches etc down there, my style is sort of in your faceish...any suggestions for a decent vocal chain in these circumstances?...i'd like to keep it around 1500$$ but its not written in stone.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Best vocal chain for untreated room... $$1500

Sm7b --- daking mp1--- Fmr Pbc 6a. That is waay more than a decent chain
Old 15th December 2010
I have not tried this myself but something like this would probably kill most of the reflections and it's not even expensive.

Welcome to sE Electronics

Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Big fan of the Reflexion filter. It makes a very dry vocal, which may sound weird at first when you are used to your (good or bad) room. But, it takes reverb and delay very well afterward.
The only thing in your chain you may want to consider is any eq shelving or with a mid band, so you can cut out some crap before going in. (e.g. bass roll off if you live near a train )
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear
Get a used reflexion filter, I use one every day in a terrible room and it give mind blowing results, with reverb and delay I come out with a decent vocal that I can work with.

They go for about 175-200. Get that.

Spend $1300 on a mic.

Used: Kiwi, phanthera or phantom c, or you could get a tlm 103 and an at4050.

New- one of above listed, tlm 49, jj audio akita sound nice in the shootout, hmmm...
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Just got the Real Traps PVB in my home studio. Highly recommended. Much higher quality build and a much better design.
Attached Thumbnails
Best vocal chain for untreated room... $00-pvbdl.jpg  
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balalaikka View Post
I have not tried this myself but something like this would probably kill most of the reflections and it's not even expensive.

These sound fine but they don't work well for woman with big breasts!
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear
The best $1500 chain for an untreated room is a $1450 chain and $50 worth of duvet or moving blankets.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
The best $1500 chain for an untreated room is a $1450 chain and $50 worth of duvet or moving blankets.
yea ive decided im gonna do atleast a minimal treatment, and i will for sure pick up the reflexion....im liking the idea of the chain Sm7b --- daking mp1--- Fmr Pbc 6a....but maybe just getting abetter mic, like the KIWI and adding to the chain down the road.....i hate buying gear twice.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balalaikka View Post

its ok in a pinch.
I have one but it sits in the closet now.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrob View Post
Get a used reflexion filter, I use one every day in a terrible room and it give mind blowing results, with reverb and delay I come out with a decent vocal that I can work with.

They go for about 175-200. Get that.

Spend $1300 on a mic.

Used: Kiwi, phanthera or phantom c, or you could get a tlm 103 and an at4050.

New- one of above listed, tlm 49, jj audio akita sound nice in the shootout, hmmm...
JJ Audio Akita!!thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

Okay...so here is what i have at the moment....either get Sm7b --- daking mp1--- Fmr Pbc 6a...or the sm7b and great river....or the kiwi, and wait until i figure out a good chain to work with a higher end microphone (KIWI, TLM103, etc.) and just get the mic to start, and use it with some plug ins for now?
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

First off, to answer this question properly you need to know who the artist(s) is... Its not smart to generalize mic purchases. Someone could recommend something that's totally wrong for the artist or style of music. I can honestly say the fmr/dav suggestion is probably the last combo I would use for Hip hop (since this is the hip hop forum). But if you're tone loc, it might work.

So instead of being specific I'll give you a general rule...when money is funny look to small manufacturers (like ADK, Bock) Smaller companies a. don't have a thousand employees to pay b. don't pay out bonuses to people who sell the most X...

What that means is...generally, if you're buying a mic from a company like Neuman, there's a fair amount of "fluff" built into the price. So you can get as good of a mic for $300 from one of these small companies, as a $1500 mic from a large company.

Also there are some cheaper mics (mxl etc) that can be modified. So there is definitely value in that.

With your budget I would forget about a hardware compressor and invest in a UAD card or URS plugins (not Waves). There is no compressor under $500 that will sound as good as the La2a uad plug. Also if your room is not treated, dynamic mics are your friend...
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

Also, the TLM 103 just sucks...
Old 16th December 2010
JZ BH-2, Blue Robbie. I've cut tons of vocals with that chain and it always sits nicely.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

k...im gonna get a little more voice specific, as it seems to be a major factor after reading up....mid range voice for spittin, a little dragged out with sharp ssss's,i also do some kind of viking style singing for breakdowns, and even get a bit angry and harsh/scream at times....my room is VERY small, so ive decided to get a treatment kit and the reflexion....i realize this isn't optimum and im a bit all over, but i need to make it work, i guess i would need something with a forgiveness factor, and some warmth added....i would like this chain sitting on my doorstep when i return from thailand
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Treat your room first and any mic will sound 50% better.

You best bet for a portable vocal solution would be the RealTraps PVB.

Cheers!
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

IF the room is super small i'd go with an Electrovoice re-27 into an Avedis MA5. That would bring your total up to $1000 which would leave you with 500 for the refleckion filter, The A Designs 500 HR and a DBX 160x.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

SM7b>API 312>La2a
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty James View Post
SM7b>API 312>La2a
LA2A for 1500? with a mic and pre? Sign me up for that too!
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
SM7b>API 312>La2a
You did read he say below 1500.....you just listed a $4300 vocal chain
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

oh..

I see that now..

I can loan the guy my La2a to make up for it
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

yea im thinking about pushing the budget up and getting the akita....and possibly the avalon 737...any other good suggetions to go with the akita?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh..

I see that now..

I can loan the guy my La2a to make up for it
no no me me me .......heh
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I agree that treating your room first, or at least purchase that reflection filter. Otherwise you're better off with an ART Tube MP and an Shure SM57. Neither one of those known for their outstanding clarity. However, in an untreated room it would minimize any room gremlins getting into your recordings.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

yes yes....gonna do the room treatment! heh ....so unless anyone has any input to why i shouldn't (which would be welcomed) im going to go with the jj audio akita and the fully modded gap 73 pre....with the reflexion filter....this has all been decided through reading through as many threads as possible on here, this will be my first mic purchase and really my first shot at recording vocals......but the whole reason ive sort of turned to music production altogether is to have an outlet to tell my story's...thanks again for all your help, i'll post up my results when i have some.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

one last bump before i place my order...
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.head View Post
one last bump before i place my order...
room treatment-----rode k2/mullard tube---daking mp1---pbc 6a
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.head View Post
yes yes....gonna do the room treatment! heh ....so unless anyone has any input to why i shouldn't (which would be welcomed) im going to go with the jj audio akita and the fully modded gap 73 pre....with the reflexion filter....this has all been decided through reading through as many threads as possible on here, this will be my first mic purchase and really my first shot at recording vocals......but the whole reason ive sort of turned to music production altogether is to have an outlet to tell my story's...thanks again for all your help, i'll post up my results when i have some.
I had a gap pre73 and I can tell you the blue robbie is much high quality pre. Akita sounded ok in the shootout no gripes there. But consider the robbie.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search