The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Merged: Hi-Tek threads....
Old 14th January 2006
Gear Nut

Merged: Hi-Tek threads....

check this out...hi-tek talks about his production methods for 50 and snoop (among others) and his engineer talks about the set up and equipment...hi - tek interview

www.booblades.com
Old 14th January 2006
Gear Addict

i`d always got love for Hi-Tek! hes a good engineer and often good beats. I feel the way he produce and mix, mostly you can say its an HI-TEK beat...thats what i really respect.

Old 14th January 2006
Gear Addict

that was a great article. I love me some hi tek beats but I hated get in my car. worst hi tek beat ever.
Old 14th January 2006
Gear Addict

yeah those beats for GUNIT lacks in quality and creativity i think, but Hi Tek works into the hands of the artists so the article says.

I need to bump those Hi-Teknology and Reflection Eternal again!!!
Old 14th January 2006
Good interview!!
Old 14th January 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco D
that was a great article. I love me some hi tek beats but I hated get in my car. worst hi tek beat ever.

BOY , GET IN MY CAR IS SO GANGSTA!!!!!!

you can´t be serious..

@chester : how can a hi tek "lack quality"...?

rappers just sometimes pick the wrong beat!!**** happens.
i never heard any rapper mess up a hi-tek beat,except for that g-unit guys
on that 1st track on their "beg for mercy" album...horrible.
(good album though)

if you are a producer yourself you know how it goes.
we all do wack beats one day or the other,but we still have achieved a certain ,professional level of production.

everything else is a question of taste.
creativity is difficult to judge IMO

hi-tek is a 100% pro!

i have to read that article.
Old 14th January 2006
Gear Guru

Quote from the article..."Sometimes on harder vocals, like with 50, where I
might need to bring down the peaks, I will use the dbx 160 followed
by the Sony 800G mic."

Old 14th January 2006
Gear Nut

Hi-tek is the sh!t. "The Blast" was an instant classic.

IMHO, "Get in my car" & "Runnin" are both great looks for him.

Those checks alone, ensure he'll be able to make music for a long long time, God willing.

We might just get another "Blast", or something more Cincinatti, like his new stuff...

Great read.
Old 15th January 2006
Gear Nut

Yo Disco...we dont need to read interviews on other sites about 50's producers...we have our own right here...tell us ur set up and experiences...i know u mostly mix ur own stuff but did dre touch that beat up better than u expected?...There seems to be some thoughts that Dre has a magical mixing technique so im wondering if he used that technique on ur track and does it transform ur sonics into a signature Dre sounding track?

www.booblades.com
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

i dont agree

Hi friends of gearslutz.
I dont agree with no quantization beat.
I cant believe in that..

This is a transcription from HI-TEk interview:
"...He doesn't quantize, and the kick drum is not
exactly landing on the one, but it pushes the beat along in a lazy
yet still very driving way that is Hi-Tek's
sound. As far as placement of the beat, it just depends on the
feel, Hi-Tek adds. I always like to give the beat a
live feel, a swing that you can't just get from quantizing a drum
machine. You really gotta mess around with it. I don't like to do
it right on the bpm. I try to give it a feeling..." tutt
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear
just wondering how can you not believe in that? they didn't quantize zeppelin records and those drum parts feel better then about anything..if you have very low latency and good timing you can track live right into your sequencer and have a human feel to your drums.
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

"No drums quantization on Akay mpc3000" - Hi-Tek said...

I get this interview from our friend BOO BLADES thread...
So, after read , my conclusion is = FAKE AND LIES...
That Hi-Tek producer cant play without quantization. tutt
Yes, he get the samples into the MPC3000, then play with what, with your Iron Hands ? - I dont believe, anyway...:
" ... He doesn't quantize, and the kick drum is not
exactly landing on the one, but it pushes the beat along in a lazy
yet still very driving way that is Hi-Tek's
sound.

As far as placement of the beat, it just depends on the
feel, Hi-Tek adds. I always like to give the beat a
live feel, a swing that you can't just get from quantizing a drum
machine. You really gotta mess around with it. I don't like to do
it right on the bpm. I try to give it a feeling..."
This quote transcription from the entire interview at...http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/jan/1250785.htm
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear
I answered this in the first thread you posted this in already.
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

ok, but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
I answered this in the first thread you posted this in already.

Ok Methlab, i know, but , something so misterious from Hi-Tek " no quantization methods" to play the akay pads. I dont know...
Old 15th January 2006
Gear Addict

Jay (Dilla) Dee does or has according to ?uestlove...
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear
no 4 PCs, you mean you couldn't knock out a solid kick snare pattern without using quantize? Before ProTools, a drummer had to play an entire kit from start to finish with minimal mistakes. the feel had to be there. Think about it, it's not THAT hard to knock out a hip hop kick/snare beat and not quantize.
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

Huh? Why can't you believe this? Many people do it. RZA did it as well. I can do it and I ain't even good. People who play traditional instruments play this way all the time. There is no quantize button on a guitar or acoustic drum set.
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

Maybe not

I dont believe mpc3000 make miracles.Anyway Mr, i think the real drummer is the best way to make a drum track.
I did read the interview and the Hi-Tek said get the drum samples from a Real drum player. I ask, why dont recorde the thing with the real drummer?
Its my subjective opinion.
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

My MPC-3000 I Love it!!!!

I was dropping a 16 bar pattern in my MP and I had the pads set perfect. I custom set them for the way I play my patterns. Anyway I did a whole 16 and it was nice it felt like it was Q'ed but when I checked it was off. I really thought it was Q'ed...

from then on I just do what ever feels right!!!!!! People have been doing that for years!!!!
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by No4PCs
I dont believe mpc3000 make miracles.Anyway Mr, i think the real drummer is the best way to make a drum track.
I did read the interview and the Hi-Tek said get the drum samples from a Real drum player. I ask, why dont recorde the thing with the real drummer?
Its my subjective opinion.
mpc 3000 cannot make miracles... neither can 5 loaves and 2 fishes...

but in the right hands...

why not real drums? well, even if u DID have a very nice kit set up in a great sounding room with great mics and an SSL4000g and Radar II to record it on, there would STILL be times when you would prefer an MPC...

it's not always easy to get a drummer to play the groove the way you want... of course, you say, sample the drummer, but then, what's the point of having a drummer when you've already got 2 gig of drum samples?

it is amazing to look at a very funky drum sample in a midi file, to see how unquantized it is, even if it sounds rock solid.

like some of harvey mason or clyde stubblefield or jabo or bernard... especially... sloppy by 960ppqn standards!!!

even if you CAN'T play drums, you can play the MPC and get your own feel going. i thought that interview was pretty nice...

also, i find that quantizing bass w. drums is the worst of all... cats spending time to make sure their kick and their bass lines up perfectly... what a way to ruin a tune.

i wonder if hi tek doubles his tempos, like recording at 180bpm for a 90bpm track... that gives you double the ppqn... (i don't do it, does anyone here?)

(ps that said, the mpc 3k does have great quantizing...easy to turn on and off as you need it)
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

of course, if you really want a grid, why stop with the drums...

why not quantize the whole song, lyrics and all?

u can do it w. this software

http://www.superchargedmusic.com/production.html
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by No4PCs
Anyway Mr, i think the real drummer is the best way to make a drum track.
Not always.
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane
mpc 3000 cannot make miracles... neither can 5 loaves and 2 fishes...

but in the right hands...

why not real drums? well, even if u DID have a very nice kit set up in a great sounding room with great mics and an SSL4000J and Radar II to record it on, there would STILL be times when you would prefer an MPC...

it's not always easy to get a drummer to play the groove the way you want... of course, you say, sample the drummer, but then, what's the point of having a drummer when you've already got 2 gig of drum samples?

it is amazing to look at a very funky drum sample in a midi file, to see how unquantized it is, even if it sounds rock solid.

like some of harvey mason or clyde stubblefield or jabo or bernard... especially... sloppy by 960ppqn standards!!!

even if you CAN'T play drums, you can play the MPC and get your own feel going. i thought that interview was pretty nice...

also, i find that quantizing bass w. drums is the worst of all... cats spending time to make sure their kick and their bass lines up perfectly... what a way to ruin a tune.

i wonder if hi tek doubles his tempos, like recording at 180bpm for a 90bpm track... that gives you double the ppqn... (i don't do it, does anyone here?)

(ps that said, the mpc 3k does have great quantizing...easy to turn on and off as you need it)

Sure, that gear is a dream, i agree.
But the quantization per bars is needed in some point, because if have bass bars with quarter notes and some hi-hat with 16notes per bar . How will sound? Conflicting with bass notes i think.
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear
not at all..I play live bass to all my tracks, and many have 16ths on the hi hats a lot..it feels great..i would never go back and quantize my audio..i just make sure it feels real good and there are no ugly flams.
Old 16th January 2006
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=BOO BLADES]Yo Disco... [QUOTE]

ok... SKY MASK WAY really is a jewel on the album...
well chopped and emotionally flipped!
nuff respect!

....i feel supported by this statement in this article:

"It could be a simple sound, but there has to be
something about it a feeling, a texture to get me
sparked up. I might hear one little sound or a rhythm that I want
to re-create. Sometimes, I keep working and working; the sample
might weed its way out; and, then, it becomes an original track." thumbsup
Old 16th January 2006
Gear Nut

No4pcs what type of music do u make? im asking cuz if u make any type of "ethnic" music then u know its all about the "groove" baby...sometimes the sounds will provide the groovy vibe then other times it will be the sequence...there are no hard an fast rules to how things have to be done...and unless a person plays the drum track for 4 str8 minutes...its gonna get looped anyway so there will be some sort of format eventually...just my 2 cents.

www.myspace.com/booblades
Old 16th January 2006
Lives for gear

Boo blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOO BLADES
No4pcs what type of music do u make? im asking cuz if u make any type of "ethnic" music then u know its all about the "groove" baby...sometimes the sounds will provide the groovy vibe then other times it will be the sequence...there are no hard an fast rules to how things have to be done...and unless a person plays the drum track for 4 str8 minutes...its gonna get looped anyway so there will be some sort of format eventually...just my 2 cents.

Hi friend BOO BLADES, my music is simple, like pop tunes, i think, but, in relation to play the pads , mean, the physical " action " playing the pads with the fingers i think a litlle strange ( because i dont have any talent to do this way ! ),anyway, if you play only the snare/kick first, then record the 16ths hi hat, in any point will conflicting note and wrongs uptimes too !I dont have this akay machine, but i have a sampler keyboard, the same process...Sometimes i did try make this way, but, after all, i miced snare/kick and hihat...too much better, more easy and quicly.
Mr Soultrane said need SSL to do this...No no, we dont need .
Of course no quantization in samplers get more "real beat feeling" ... tutt
Old 16th January 2006
Gear Maniac

I record drums without quantize allot, just depends what type of track i'm making
Easy to do with an MPC
J Dilla also works that way.
Also record most of the keys without quantization (only quantize if needed)

Nice article!!
Old 16th January 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOO BLADES
Yo Disco...we dont need to read interviews on other sites about 50's producers...we have our own right here...tell us ur set up and experiences...i know u mostly mix ur own stuff but did dre touch that beat up better than u expected?...There seems to be some thoughts that Dre has a magical mixing technique so im wondering if he used that technique on ur track and does it transform ur sonics into a signature Dre sounding track?

www.booblades.com
Dre didn't mix the record. Eminem's mixer mixed the record. I don't like the way they mixed it, I even asked Sha Money XL if I could take a stab at mixing it after I heard it the first time and he said no. The original beat had the snare snapping WAY harder and louder, they turned it into pussy mush. Additionally, those guys have no idea how to mix 808s, that **** came out distorted. Plus 50's vocals are a little high in the mix for me IMHO. That is all, and no I'm not complaining, I would take a record I didn't mix on a 50 album any day of the week, they aren't letting me mix my upcoming Trick Daddy single but at least they are letting me approve final mix.
Old 16th January 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco D
... That is all, and no I'm not complaining, I would take a record I didn't mix on a 50 album any day of the week, they aren't letting me mix my upcoming Trick Daddy single but at least they are letting me approve final mix.

You got that right...i wouldnt care how they made the **** sound as long as im on there and they playing the joint...that was one of the first songs flex played when the album dropped and i was like im gonna jack that sound (not sure what it is...sounds like a submarine radar or some ****)...but those samples are well places...do u have to get those lil snippets cleared too?...if so them im just gonna get some singers and have them riff some **** for me from now on and sample that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search