The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dr. Dre's Loudness
Old 12th January 2006
Here for the gear

Dr. Dre's Loudness

I've been a big fan of Dr. Dre's music especially his mixes since the n.w.a days and i was wondering how he gets his music so loud but every instrument sounds like its tucked in place and never hitting the peak?? alot of people including myself believed that the L2 plugin would work but it doesnt give me the same result as some of dre's mixes..... anyone here ever worked with dre or his engineers know somethin about this??????
Old 12th January 2006
Gear Addict

He records to 2 inch tape...
Old 13th January 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I've seen the boxes full of his hits on 2" ! It really is a sight to behold...
Lives for gear

I don't think he does anymore, i read he's on hd 192 now, although he probably has the best outboard and consoles in the biz. But number one he has great ears and an engineer who is an extension of himself. Overlimiting will kill your dynamics. Try and get the mix right with levels and eq before u **** with heavy compression and the L2 type limiters. Mix at low volume and keep your channels down to max out your headroom.
Old 13th January 2006
Gear Nut

Boss no plugin is going to give you a Dre sound. Ever ever ever.
Lives for gear

good sounds, tracking thru good outboard, mixing on nice consoles, good mixing engineers, & barry grundman....
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKI
good sounds, tracking thru good outboard, mixing on nice consoles, good mixing engineers, & barry grundman....

and there you have it.
Dor
Lives for gear

Bernie Grundman ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor
Bernie Grundman ...
Actually its Brian"Big Bass" Gardner.

http://mixonline.com/recording/inter...brian_gardner/
Lives for gear
Dre likes to compress fairly hard too..like 6:1 to 10:1 ratios.
Old 13th January 2006
Lives for gear

It's called mastering. Check it out sometime.
Lives for gear

it's about everything......Good sounds, arrangement......great tracking, mix, monitoring....the mastering is just one small piece in the puzzle (and certainly not the most important)
Lives for gear

I know the secret, it's called Loudness Maximizer. Nothing touches it, hasn't since 1997. They don't make it anymore, but it's out there. AudioCube has a 192k version I think.

Do your homework from there, I actually can get a lot louder and clearer then this, but I use a few more things. It's all about the mix though. Bad Mix means distorted midrange and the kik and snare won't hit!

KRK's for monitoring give you what you need also.

Just my 2. But it works. Loud isn't always good!!!!

BaseJase
illynoise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
Dre likes to compress fairly hard too..like 6:1 to 10:1 ratios.
Are you talking on individual instruments?

Co's that's what I think the secret of those hard hitting drums is compression, bit like how the Neps kicks and snares hit on some of their tracks. Also to get your tracks that loud everything needs to be in the pocket freqency & comp wise. No harshness or flab. Then you can start to drive those levels.
Lives for gear

what about clipping?
Gear Maniac

John Vestman talks about it near the bottom of this article

http://www.getsigned.com/jvest30.html
Lives for gear
yeah blayz on individual tracks..thats what he claims anyway. he's using the SSL comps mainly.
Old 15th January 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

almost guranteed, dre gets alot of his drum pop from clipping the preamps in the SSL; those things distort nicely. I would be willing to bet he uses the ssl channel compressors, eq, and preamp clip to get most of his sounds
Old 15th January 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Personally I dont think solid state clipping sounds good. SS sounds a bit unmusical and irritating compared to tubes or tape. Clipping even on Neves or SSL pres don't sound good, IMO. The easiest way to get big drum sounds is to use good samples and layer them (old secret). Once you have that done you can use pres, dynamics and EQ to make them sound even bigger.

There is no real secret to get Dre's sound, except to know what you're doing, and do it right. Dre has the right means, tools, and people to get the sound that he wants.
Old 18th January 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I think the dynamics are much more important than loudness. When i want to hear somethin loud, i turn up my volume control...overlimiting kills the music!
Use the SSL-Mixbus Compressor for your drums, and you will have no more problems...;-)
Lives for gear

Brian Gardner once told me that he had to work miracles when it came to Dre's stuff. Aparantly the mixes always lack low end due to the seaker set up they have which puts out too much low end. He was also telling me about how Dre's engineer purposely rolls of all the bottom of everything but the kick and bass using low pass filters. They devised this system so that in mastering Brian can have more control over the low and. Which I assume to mean that Brian can control the kick/bass level in the mastering stage without mddying things up due to the rumble from other tracks, etc.

I don't know much about Dre, but I too assume a lot may have had to do with using 2" tape. On the other hand I think a lot of the later Eminem stuff sounds awful, so I wonder if that was to 2" also... Who knows.

I think it's time Hiphop went 96k. It wouldn't be tape, but I think it would help.
Gear Maniac

I was checkn' out the studio that is in the same spot as Dr. Dres studio, (parked my car next to his) and since the teck that is my buddy knows him, we peaked our heads in to see what was going on, I guess they were recording some rock/emo band and Dr. Dre didn't seem like he was all to involved in that project other than being there for inspiration, but its funny that there was realy good gear in there but not much different than most of the big studios out there in Hollywood. SSL console I think Protools HD3 and all the outboard goodies as well. So yeap I'm sure its in the ears and having people that know what there doing to use it. My buddy said that Neil Pogue has been going over there a bunch and even Josha Abrams.
anyway, don't know the 'secrits' but just got to peak my head into his studio. Pretty cool vibe though.
sam
Old 18th January 2006
Gear Nut

Premo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjack37781
I've been a big fan of Dr. Dre's music especially his mixes since the n.w.a days and i was wondering how he gets his music so loud but every instrument sounds like its tucked in place and never hitting the peak?? alot of people including myself believed that the L2 plugin would work but it doesnt give me the same result as some of dre's mixes..... anyone here ever worked with dre or his engineers know somethin about this??????

I always have liked Primo's drum sounds a just a tad bit more.Though Dre's sounds are clear and crisp, Dj Premier's drums really seem to really jump out of the mix. I like the fact that he samples at 12 bit.I think it really helps his drums.
Old 19th January 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

I heard before that Dre takes to mastering stem mixes.then they master those.
Gear Head

I can feel that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Stress
I always have liked Primo's drum sounds a just a tad bit more.Though Dre's sounds are clear and crisp, Dj Premier's drums really seem to really jump out of the mix. I like the fact that he samples at 12 bit.I think it really helps his drums.
I think we got something in common here :-) thumbsup

I've been to D&D in NYC and went into Premo's old Studio with my video cam...... AFAIK he uses his Akai S950 (samples) and an older MPC a lot (drums).......

We've been in another Studio (B?) though with K.Walsh, but there was similar stuff there..... I was so fascinated by the DBX compressors that I bought 3 of them via Ebay, when I was back in Germany... no not the new version, but the old original ones, dating back to the beginning of the 90ies.

I'm using one for snare, one for kick and one for the bassline

The sound is crispy, the "thingies" are not too expensive and really easy to use.... I like to compress my drums with a level from 1:4 up to 1:unlimited ( for snares).

I can't explain it, but after I've put my kick through the dbx, it seemed to be more audible.

I'll never sell those again, belive me!
no ssl yet
Guys I hate to say it but u wont find any "secret" gear that NO one else has. It's all standard **** SSL comps/EQs 1073 on vox, API550/dbx160 on drums

IT's not in the gear

I suggest doing a search here for "drum mult" and taking notes. Every so often the same themes pop up here but, what we do as audio professionals doesnt really change all that much from year to year. IT's THE SONGS or lack thereof that should be changing.

Once you get it sounding good, it wont really matter if u have it loud

IF it were about the gear then we wouldnt love NS10s and Minimus 7s
Old 20th January 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyclueless
Brian Gardner once told me that he had to work miracles when it came to Dre's stuff. Aparantly the mixes always lack low end due to the seaker set up they have which puts out too much low end. He was also telling me about how Dre's engineer purposely rolls of all the bottom of everything but the kick and bass using low pass filters. .
I thought this was a common practice. You would carve out the lows on everything but kick /bass to get the low end tight & big...
Old 20th January 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

2 inch tape?
ssl??

cmon you guys!

everyone knows dre just presses the "mixdown" button in Reason! heh

Old 12th January 2007 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyclueless View Post
Brian Gardner once told me that he had to work miracles when it came to Dre's stuff. Aparantly the mixes always lack low end due to the seaker set up they have which puts out too much low end. He was also telling me about how Dre's engineer purposely rolls of all the bottom of everything but the kick and bass using low pass filters. They devised this system so that in mastering Brian can have more control over the low and. Which I assume to mean that Brian can control the kick/bass level in the mastering stage without mddying things up due to the rumble from other tracks, etc.

I don't know much about Dre, but I too assume a lot may have had to do with using 2" tape. On the other hand I think a lot of the later Eminem stuff sounds awful, so I wonder if that was to 2" also... Who knows.

I think it's time Hiphop went 96k. It wouldn't be tape, but I think it would help.

Wait a minute. I don't ever remember anything like that going down. I've never had to work miracles with Dre's stuff. Even 'back in the day'. Maybe back in the NWA days I needed to tweek more but that was another level. . Dre's mixes are pretty locked in and depending on what the instrumentation is determines what I can get away with to improve upon it. Sometimes he intentionally leaves me some room and other times I just play with the level and minor EQ . The rest is top secret and this is where I utilize my 'Accusuck' process.heh This goes beyond Bruce Swedien's Accusonic approach.
As to Dre going 192? Nada. Time to go 96k for hip hop? I've been doing that for ages.

Remember, if ANYTHING sucks, I had Nothing to do with it. It Is Written. . .
Old 12th January 2007 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassBrian View Post

Wait a minute. I don't ever remember anything like that going down. I've never had to work miracles with Dre's stuff. Even 'back in the day'. Maybe back in the NWA days I needed to tweek more but that was another level. . Dre's mixes are pretty locked in and depending on what the instrumentation is determines what I can get away with to improve upon it. Sometimes he intentionally leaves me some room and other times I just play with the level and minor EQ . The rest is top secret and this is where I utilize my 'Accusuck' process.heh This goes beyond Bruce Swedien's Accusonic approach.
As to Dre going 192? Nada. Time to go 96k for hip hop? I've been doing that for ages.

Remember, if ANYTHING sucks, I had Nothing to do with it. It Is Written. . .
I JUST POSTED A REPLY TO A YEAR OLD COMMENT. DUH.........

OH WELL
Closed