The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
All Los and Highs... no mids
Old 5th January 2006
Lives for gear

All Los and Highs... no mids

What are you lo cut/high passing to? on my system, pair of hr824s, itb, it sounds good. balanced, etc. i played that same mix on dudes benz and in a studio (not mine) i hear ALL this low end that I hadn't at all. but only lows and highs. all my mids are gone.

i've got linEQ high pass to 34 hz and L2 on the 2.
Old 5th January 2006
Lives for gear

Just try referencing your track as you mix through a television occasionally, CD via DVD player perhaps... lotta big hit records main outlet is tv so don't laugh..

If it sounds good on the idiot tube and the bass is cool loud in your ride or on big speakers your probably pretty much there..

Works for me.. but i do reccomend mixing quietly to the master without any limiter and getting stuff mastered by a pro with real gear!

The ITB debate rages on.. i work in Logc btw..

Peace
Old 5th January 2006

just reference some commercial tracks you really like that are relevant to the mix you are working on! If you are working ITB, make sure you import them to a seperate stereo track, compensate for percieved level, and put them out of your monitor outputs POST any 2bus processing you may have on your master bus! This will help illuminate any problems with your monitoring situation!
Old 5th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agzilla
Just try referencing your track as you mix through a television occasionally, CD via DVD player perhaps... lotta big hit records main outlet is tv so don't laugh..

If it sounds good on the idiot tube and the bass is cool loud in your ride or on big speakers your probably pretty much there..

Works for me.. but i do reccomend mixing quietly to the master without any limiter and getting stuff mastered by a pro with real gear!

The ITB debate rages on.. i work in Logc btw..

Peace
good to see that i'm not the only dork who does that!!!
Old 5th January 2006
Gear Maniac

Try get a pair of those Yamaha NS-10 as a second monitoring options - they're kinda cheap.. That should really give you a good image on what's going on with your midrange. And try to listen to music you know well on them, then just switch on the Hrs for checking .. highs and lows.
Old 5th January 2006
Lives for gear

I think usually when you hear a bunch of 'Phantom Low End' on someone else's system that you didn't hear before, the culprit is your monitoring environment.

I had one of the worst rooms for low end in the past. I worked around it by listening to the mix from the next room to get some idea of the overall balance.

Not ideal, but workable.
Old 5th January 2006
Gear Maniac

I had the same problem recently in my studio. I have the same hr824's also. What I found to be the problem was the settings on the back of your speakers. First make sure that the gain on the back of the speakers is set fairly high. Then if your speakers are set against the wall set them to quarter space or if they are a bit further away set them to halfspace and if they are in the middle of the room set them to fullspace. Next make sure that the bass is set to the normal setting (it says normal at 47 hz) and set the high freq. to +2 (all the way right). It was incredible what happened to my final product(pre mixdown) after I did this! You wont even need to do much at all the the master fader after this...trust me! If you want proof click the link at the bottom of my post maned "TRACKSQUAD" and listen for yourself. The lower songs like 1- 28 were pre speaker fixing and the others were post. Judge for yourself then try it out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search