The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Good Vocal Recordings With Out PREAMP!!!
Old 22nd October 2010
Here for the gear

Good Vocal Recordings With Out PREAMP!!!

ok this what it looks like, running a rode nt1a str8 into my M Audio Box, but can i get decent vocals (that sound decent enough for radio play, about mix tape quality) with ought a pre amp and just a audio interface.

Not top end vocals but just enough for it to get played, i mean have the people ant going to notice but don't want it to sound to different.

Plz, constructive comments, other wise, don't post, do something else with your time instead of stepping on the toes who try to educate them selves

Also, these are rap vocals

Old 22nd October 2010
Gear Nut

successful troll is successful
Old 22nd October 2010
Gear Addict

sure you can.
Have a nice sounding room
Have ITB pres that are very nice
Properly engineer the vocal takes (mic placement, levels, ect)

You should search for NT1a mods, you can do it yourself even

Radio quality and mix-tape quality really dont have any set quality- i would advise against future use of those terms
Old 22nd October 2010
EDF
Gear Addict
Basically what ether said. Just decent mic placement, decent recording levels, use the meter, don't let the meters use you.

When it's mixing time, seek out a good start for your EQ and you can usually have some dope sounding stuff.

I've had a Grammy nominated producer tell me we were doing good mixes and this was in a college apartment.
Old 24th October 2010
Here for the gear

ok thanks , and bye mixtape and radio sound quality, im saying i no its not going to be album quality, but if there are any other suggestions such as the eq'ing part, i'm open ears

again thanks
Old 24th October 2010
Here for the gear

BTW what are ITB pres?
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummax View Post
BTW what are ITB pres?

oxymoronic
Old 24th October 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoak View Post
oxymoronic
lmao. I know,
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
thumbsup
Old 24th October 2010
Here for the gear

I really don't see an contradictory terms there, but...if that's how you waist your time, go for it

unless your talking about the successful troll things..still ant got that one either...maybe because this is supposed to be about vocal recording..
so again, if we can try to keep stuff you apparently cant control to a minimum, im sure there are people out there who want to know this stuff to..

again, any eq suggestions beside rolling off 40-80hz and 8khz, more about eqing vocals in the adjusting process, instead of cutting, even though cutting is the most ear responsive process. or give us some of your techniques..

now that i clarified this, there probably will be 5 more, out there comments
dfegad
Old 24th October 2010
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeMusicEnt View Post
successful troll is successful
What? are you saying you cant get good Vox. with on board pres?
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummax View Post
I really don't see an contradictory terms there, but...if that's how you waist your time, go for it

unless your talking about the successful troll things..still ant got that one either...maybe because this is supposed to be about vocal recording..
so again, if we can try to keep stuff you apparently cant control to a minimum, im sure there are people out there who want to know this stuff to..

again, any eq suggestions beside rolling off 40-80hz and 8khz, more about eqing vocals in the adjusting process, instead of cutting, even though cutting is the most ear responsive process. or give us some of your techniques..

now that i clarified this, there probably will be 5 more, out there comments
dfegad
i wasn't being smartass, a pre-amplifier is something that amplifies the sound prior to recording, thus there is no such thing as an in the box pre. there are emulators out there but it's all snake oil - there is no way to truly compensate for the character of a deficient input signal.
Old 24th October 2010
Here are some great tips for Vocal Recording:
Vocal Recording Tips

Cj
Old 24th October 2010
Gear Addict

Better yet!!!!!

Put an ITB pre on the screen and sing into the screen.

It will make a very FLATtering voice recording

If it's not working then you'll have to buy an SM7 + GAP73 for that 1073 color.

Mouahahaha

Sarcastic lil' devil in me again

Have a nice day guys

777artin
Old 25th October 2010
Lives for gear

I'd worry more about using a poor quality mic vs. the pres on your interface.
Old 25th October 2010
Lives for gear

I think Slate is working on an ITB U47. It will most certainly rock whenever they finally get it done!
Old 25th October 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschizoid View Post
I think Slate is working on an ITB U47. It will most certainly rock whenever they finally get it done!
... in 2016. heh
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search