The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DJ Mixers : what are or were the classic/popular/historical ones ? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 30th September 2010
Gear Maniac

DJ Mixers : what are or were the classic/popular/historical ones ?

Hi all,

So the question this time is pretty straight forward :

DJ Mixers : what are or were the classic/popular/historical ones ?

My guess (hypothesis) is that just like for turntables you've got your ultra classic dj mixers :

So you've got your 1200s on the turntable side, but what classic dj mixers do you got on the other side ? That would be another way to put the question.

Like what do people like Lord Finesse, Diamond D, Large Pro., Pete Rock, Dilla, Hi-Tek and all them others use...

Anyway,

Thanks for the help!

ps : I've done some research and got one or two ideas already... But I really want to hear your take on the question.
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

turntables might not have matured as much. But modern mixers are miles ahead of the classics for scratching these days compared to the 80s.
Old 30th September 2010
Gear Head

Gemini MX-4200

Realistic 32-1100A (No Crossfader!)

Vestax PMC-05

Technics SH-DJ1200 (This was the competition mixer for the DMC championships.)
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sparks View Post
Gemini MX-4200

Realistic 32-1100A (No Crossfader!)

Vestax PMC-05

those technics were ugggggly. but some of the best dmc sets were done back then. no funk anymore
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

Pioneer DJM 500 and 600 were standard for long time, pretty sure they still are but i think they have newer models now. Its been a long time since i touched a set of decks but use to own a DJM 500 great mixer at the time.
Old 30th September 2010
Dor
Lives for gear

I used to use the Jazzy Jeff Gemini.

Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

Whuhh? Six posts in, and no mention of the
Rane TTM56 or Empath?
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdeyeKnight View Post
Whuhh? Six posts in, and no mention of the
Rane TTM56 or Empath?
he asked for classic/historical
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalBlack View Post
he asked for classic/historical
whuups..I stand corrected.
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

the 2 classic mixers have already been mentioned: vestax pmc-05 and the Tech 12.
Old 30th September 2010
Gear Addict

Technics DMC.. still have mine (put away, but still have it)
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixHitz View Post
Technics DMC.. still have mine (put away, but still have it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sparks View Post

That is the DMC mixer.

EDIT: When i quoted you it just said dmc mixer.

Last edited by Realziment; 30th September 2010 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: EDIT:
Old 30th September 2010
Gear Addict

Club mixers.
Bozak CMA 10-2DL
UREI 1620
Pioneer DJM series

Hip hop
Gemini
Technics
Vestax Pmc 05 - was the hip hop standard for a good 10 years
Rane TTM 56/56s/57SL - the new standard.

(from video clips/docos etc)
Pete Rock uses a 19" rack mount Numark? mixer with his mpc 2000xl mounted above it, Uses a ttm 57sl for live shows. Premo used to use a Pmc05 now has a ttm56. Dilla was using a small 2 channel pioneer for his LA setup. Jazzy Jeff these days uses a pioneer djm 909.
Old 30th September 2010
Gear Maniac

I have been around and grew up around some of the above mentioned and it was either a Gemini PMX12, the real DMC mixer just sold exclusively from the DMC office not the Technics version (the first one built had no eq and the second one had a 2 band or 3 band eq with sliders), Vestex PMC 05 and Vestax PMC 07.
Attached Images
DJ Mixers : what are or were the classic/popular/historical ones ?-imagescaigwhpj.jpg 
Old 30th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Great responses everybody. Very insightful. Here's the little contribution I can make :

Vestax PMC 05 : Marley Marl was (still?) using it around 2005-6. Maybe he still uses it as of today, maybe not. That I don't know.

Also, I have a new sub-question :

In an interview Pete Rock mentioned "an old GLI Pro mixer (that) has three basic (eq) bands"

Can anybody say exactly what GLI Pro mixer Pete Rock may have referred to ? What model/s meet/s the description ?

I just use an old GLI Pro mixer that I got hooked up to the sampler. It's not a great mixer, but it has three basic bands that I can equalize on. (...) For kicks, I have [tape] markers that I leave on the EQ knobs. The markers give me a range that are gonna make the kick boom. I have the same type of markers for the hi-hat and the snare. Every time I sample anything, I use those markers as a reference.

In any case, let's continue the main discussion.
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Vestax PMC 05 : Marley Marl was (still?) using it around 2005-6. Maybe he still uses it as of today, maybe not. That I don't know.
there have been many many revisions to the vestax pmc line. he may have been using a newer model
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

For the history in my 43 years of dj'ing. The best of the old days, which pumped the sound for the Technicis 1800s, few years prior to the 1200s, the original crossfader mixers in use in 1976 were the Clubman 1 and the Cerwin Vega. There was one by AST which was also popular. GLI and Bozak then started making the pro scene. Many Numarks, Geminis and Vestax/Stantons were used in the 90s. But the ultimate classics and still rule as non digital/no USB best of all time are the JBL Urei and the Rane MP 24.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post

In an interview Pete Rock mentioned "an old GLI Pro mixer (that) has three basic (eq) bands"

Can anybody say exactly what GLI Pro mixer Pete Rock may have referred to ? What model/s meet/s the description ?[/B]
The GLI PMX9000 was way before Gemini or Technics mixer... We are talking way back. GLI for rap, and house DJs liked the Urei and Bozak...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search