The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
vocal tracks ?
Old 23rd December 2005
Lives for gear

vocal tracks, how many?

how many vocal track do you guys use. im working with a guy now who likes to use 3 vocal tracks per verse. he pans 1 right,1 left and 1 down the middle. was wondering if this is the normal thing to do?

Last edited by halfguard; 24th December 2005 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: cause
Old 24th December 2005
Lives for gear

cmon, i know someone can comment on this
Old 25th December 2005
Lives for gear

Halfguard...there are no rules. Standards are set and broken in hiphop on a monthly basis...there are always new flavor of the month way to do things.

I can give you examples of almost every way to layer vocals...it's all been done before...and some of it has worked and some of it has made me scratch my head.

My advice is, if it is fitting the tracks and sounds bangin, it is correct.

If it is not right for the track, suggest some other ideas to the artist.

Sorry if this wasn't the answer you wanted but I sincerely feel that there are no rules when it comes to this.
Old 25th December 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop
Halfguard...there are no rules. Standards are set and broken in hiphop on a monthly basis...there are always new flavor of the month way to do things.

I can give you examples of almost every way to layer vocals...it's all been done before...and some of it has worked and some of it has made me scratch my head.

My advice is, if it is fitting the tracks and sounds bangin, it is correct.

If it is not right for the track, suggest some other ideas to the artist.

Sorry if this wasn't the answer you wanted but I sincerely feel that there are no rules when it comes to this.
have to agree... I bet if you'd asked a year ago if a rap song where everyone "whispered" would do well many would have said no... little did we know

By the way Xhiphop I love that Fat Joe line in your sig
Old 25th December 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfguard
how many vocal track do you guys use. im working with a guy now who likes to use 3 vocal tracks per verse. he pans 1 right,1 left and 1 down the middle. was wondering if this is the normal thing to do?
very normal.

the hard left and right vocals are often mixed very low, so as to be practically subliminal; this often fills out the vocals and takes the place of delay or reverb, without filling up the soundscape. many producers and engineers do this. some gang the main vocals and background vocals (multiple takes panned in the middle). there are no real rules - only what sounds good.

i often triple the main vocal and use them at -20db on the sides so that you don't hear them. but you will notice if i mute them. that's one style. there are many styles - try it and see, and good luck.

best,
rlnyc
Old 25th December 2005
Lives for gear

thanx for the help. i know that there are no rules, but i really know little about recording vocals and wanted to know if this is something people do. thanx again....
Old 26th December 2005
Lives for gear

I love using a gang of tracks, i know some of my "keep it real" friends frown upon this but i do more comercial style stuff than them if thats what you wanna call it. i do a lead vox, an adlib where i don't do every vocal but just certain accent words, then a xfade track where i double the whole thing and this is used for more melodic parts i pan those left and right although not hard usually, then a what we call diddy track which i double and pan hard (the yeahs, unhs, or whatever style your adlibs might be). But this is just my style, im track hog, not to say you can't do a great track with just 2 or 3 tracks tho, this is just how i like to do it to make it dynamic and it matches my style!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search