The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I HATE 808's! There... I said it!
Old 19th July 2010
Gear Nut

I HATE 808's! There... I said it!

That's right... I'm soooo sick of hearing 808s in EVERY f*ckin song on the radio. They used to be used more exclusively in Rap and Hip Hop but now it's even in cheesy pop songs (ie. Kesha or Michael Buble).

I mean.. don't get me wrong I understand an 808 snare can get that "perfect" snare sound in terms of cutting through but isn't it time to move on??
Old 19th July 2010
Gear Addict

I felt the same way about a particular snare clap from the late 90s, early 2000s...real sloppy sounding one...I know guys on here are familiar with it...

But 808s are so big and fuzzy, like a teddy bear...who could hate 'em
Old 19th July 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfreshbeats View Post
I felt the same way about a particular snare clap from the late 90s, early 2000s...real sloppy sounding one...I know guys on here are familiar with it...

Yes!! haha I know the one! It was in Neyo's first single and SO many other songs.. *shutters*
Old 19th July 2010
g22
Lives for gear

I always liked the classic 808 kick, but not on every song. I never liked the 808 snare, I think it sounds tiny and fake, and the HH's are way too clean. One thing I hear in a lot of songs today that I'm tired of is the 808 snare roll. Every 8-16 bars of every song today you get hit with an 808 snare roll.
Old 19th July 2010
Lives for gear

808 could never do boom bap, so there is a silver lining
Old 19th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
808 could never do boom bap, so there is a silver lining
Umm!!! No.

Old 19th July 2010
Here for the gear

u are a wicked clash selectah crackpipe! boooom
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfreshbeats View Post

must be that trackmasterz clap
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRACKPIPE View Post
Umm!!! No.

walked into that one...(ok it can't do uptempo boom bap then....)
Old 20th July 2010
Gear Addict

i live for 808 drums so f*ck u
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRACKPIPE View Post
Umm!!! No.

Haha aha ahha...
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

this track in particular predates the 90's 'boom bap' that i was referring to. the 808 can't do primo, rza, large pro, eric sermon, pete rock, 45 king etc...(don't laugh!). all drums ever recorded and pressed to vinyl vs one drum machine. i used to use the hi hat now and then, and the boom, but under some other drums; also the 45 king layered the 909 kick under his sampled kicks. awe you know what i mean. 808 can't do uptempo boom bap, there i said it again.
Old 20th July 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
808 can't do uptempo boom bap, there i said it again.

i assume you make boom bap....as a hobbyist i hope. You'll never get noticed with close minded thinking like that.
Old 20th July 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez View Post
must be that trackmasterz clap
yeah. were they the originators of it, or just popularize the heck out of it?
Old 20th July 2010
Eh...it depends on how you use it & the context. Sometimes putting the full 808 experience on a track is cheesy, other times it just...works.
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by = F$ = View Post
i assume you make boom bap....as a hobbyist i hope. You'll never get noticed with close minded thinking like that.
i'm trying to do boom bap but with just singing, mayyybe an occasional rap part...trying to make another devil's pie(or another 20 devil's pies!). the singer i work with is on the d'angelo/cee-lo level....that's what turns my crank if you will. dope harmonies over dj premier type joints with cool scratches and sound bytes.

if we wait another 5 or so years we'll be part of the new wave of 'retro' 90's music.(and we'll be pushing 40 but who cares as long as we like it). also there would be no pressure to 'make it' since it will be just another retro form of music like jazz, classical, blues etc that is mostly consumed by eclectic types of all ages. in my little world anyway...

i think it goes by 20's, check it:

in the 90's sampling brought back the sound of the 70's

in the 00's the synthesizer sound of the 80's came back

in the 10's guess who got next!?!!! (90's)

which really sucks for the 20's because 00's would be back in effect...

edit for humorous effect: using a real 808 in 2010....priceless
Old 20th July 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
i'm trying to do boom bap but with just singing, mayyybe an occasional rap part...trying to make another devil's pie(or another 20 devil's pies!). the singer i work with is on the d'angelo/cee-lo level....that's what turns my crank if you will. dope harmonies over dj premier type joints with cool scratches and sound bytes.

if we wait another 5 or so years we'll be part of the new wave of 'retro' 90's music.(and we'll be pushing 40 but who cares as long as we like it). also there would be no pressure to 'make it' since it will be just another retro form of music like jazz, classical, blues etc that is mostly consumed by eclectic types of all ages. in my little world anyway...

lol

pushing 40 is the best time to "make it" First off, you aren't wet behind the ears, and your so hardened from being jerked around the business so much that you could give a fucck.

The other thing is you are more analytic like that and you start looking at the broad scope of things, rather than when your just starting and the universe is small.

Only thing,I think in the 90's it was the 80's that were brought back and in the 80's it was the '70's funk that was sampled, BUT I get that. I was just saying TODAY that I wanted to just go ahead and start bringing back those friggin alternative jams that were shoved down our throat in the early 90's. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and -ish. I feel it's a matter of time.

Plus, it has gone full circle and beyond, because in the 80's early 90'a u had the sampling, then the laws stiffened and it went to synths. Now, with the internet, you have dudes like DangerMouse gaining Grammy nominations and world acclaim for taking JayZ Black Album and The Beatles White Album, slapping it together and calling it the Grey Album....what????

The fuuckin Beatles??? and he got rewarded??? I love it. Who wants to help me flip The Wall It's a can't miss!!!!

Then throw out the Doors and Wu ! (Those vintage keys mixed with the shaolin shiit) Then in five, six years or so, we'll do Thriller meets Eminem. This is our time, people!!
Old 20th July 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonusbmusic View Post
You live for 808's?
Old 20th July 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonusbmusic View Post
Then, if you can find it, you can have my share. hehhehheh

Never cared for 808s. Never preferred a drum machine to a good drummer, and thankfully most of my clients for the past few decades have agreed with me.

Your mileage may, and probably should, vary.
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

You can take the 808 from my cold dead hands! My favorite analog drum machine of all time.

Roland used analog circuitry to recreate the pure essences of drums. This makes it an incredibly useful tool box for layering.

It's pure tones and crisp transients can flesh out sampled drums in a very musical way. Giving girth to kicks and snap to snares...click and sizzle to HH and also freak out ya perc.

The ultimate layering set-up for me... MPC60 or 3000 connected to a midied 808. Bam!

"I'm sorry but we don't play Rap music here.... we play real music":

Hugo
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

808s are cool but I still live for drum breaks
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

thats kind fo bitter sweet to think about but what about the 1960s when are they coming back? Psyc Rock FTW!
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
the 808 can't do eric sermon
are you serious? I can make a 808 kik sound sermonish anytime.
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

eric sermon was pushing it i agree(my bad)

psyc rock hip-hop with some punk rock bebop would be nice though(the hip-hop part should be boom bap though haha)

which may or may not contain an 808.

there, i said it
Old 20th July 2010
Gear Head

Thenk you Kenny

I am sick of it too, especially the clap...
Why are people so hung up on these old machines.
There are much better samples out there I think.
I Believe this is a phase anyway, so let us be strong and get over it...
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Vance View Post
That's right... I'm soooo sick of hearing 808s in EVERY f*ckin song on the radio. They used to be used more exclusively in Rap and Hip Hop but now it's even in cheesy pop songs (ie. Kesha or Michael Buble).

I mean.. don't get me wrong I understand an 808 snare can get that "perfect" snare sound in terms of cutting through but isn't it time to move on??
I TOTALLY agree,bro
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

The 808 even sounds dope backwards
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes!! haha I know the one! It was in Neyo's first single and SO many other songs.. *shutters*
Are you talking about "So Sick?" I love that instrumental. StarGate is amazing, IMO.

Solid Hype Williams video, too.

Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest View Post
thats kind fo bitter sweet to think about but what about the 1960s when are they coming back? Psyc Rock FTW!
It already came back around 87-88 with the whole 20 year anniversary of the summer of love.
Old 20th July 2010
Gear Addict

Praise The Lord Brothers And Sisters!

Quote:

Somebody finally spoke it out...

Let's play some music... something like...
Attached Files

you_are_not_alone.mp3 (638.0 KB, 1591 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search