The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I HATE 808's! There... I said it! Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 20th July 2010
  #31
Gear Addict
 
laboso's Avatar
 

Don't get me wrong... everything straight aight
Old 20th July 2010
  #32
Gear Addict
 
Guy Gabriel's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboso View Post
Somebody finally spoke it out...

Let's play some music... something like...
haha genius!
i mean 808's have been here FOREVER, they just got a little TOO popular and it all started with the rise of southern hip hop, than spread to pop and what not. right, they're old machines but still after all these years there ain't no kick that can f%#$ with an 808 kick in the club or in the car. and every one wants their track to bang hard as the next one so that's what happens. same goes to those ear piercing lovely snares.
Old 21st July 2010
  #33
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Gabriel View Post
haha genius!
i mean 808's have been here FOREVER, they just got a little TOO popular and it all started with the rise of southern hip hop, than spread to pop and what not. right, they're old machines but still after all these years there ain't no kick that can f%#$ with an 808 kick in the club or in the car. and every one wants their track to bang hard as the next one so that's what happens. same goes to those ear piercing lovely snares.
Ya I totally agree.. I completely understand why it's still so popular and why everyone loves the sound.. plain and simple they sound amazing and really highlight what an "ideal" drum sounds like ie) the snare characteristics are the "perfect" snare... it cuts through right where it's supposed to and has the perfect weight to the hit.

It's just become sooooooo overused and played out. I mean f*ck, when justin beiber is using them its no longer cool. dfegad

That's actually why I love a lot of Dr Dre's production.. he doesn't or hasn't gotten to the point of 808 saturation on his records. And there's so many other great hip hop songs and whatnot that haven't made use of 808s.

my 2 cents, anyway



and yes, I was referring to "So Sick" by Neyo.. definitely the best song he's done and the video was great.. but that f*ckin clap is SO played! At one point EVERYONE was using it!
Old 21st July 2010
  #34
Gear Addict
 
bonusbmusic's Avatar
 

Yes i live for 808 beats, hate all u want

i dont care what anyone says. 808 beats are better sounding than anything ive ever heard and ill die by it.

its not the kind of thing thats "cool" here and "hip" there! u just love it. and I always will. if u think its some fad than u dont know ur history and are probably a fad type producer. in what other piece of equipment ever made is EVERY SOUND GOOD??!!! only the tr808 rhythm composer baby

and no boom bap? how about nwas dopeman?... thats pretty solid of a beat

808 beats to the grave
Old 21st July 2010
  #35
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRACKPIPE View Post
It already came back around 87-88 with the whole 20 year anniversary of the summer of love.
im too young to remember that care to post some examples
Old 21st July 2010
  #36
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonusbmusic View Post
i dont care what anyone says. 808 beats are better sounding than anything ive ever heard and ill die by it.

its not the kind of thing thats "cool" here and "hip" there! u just love it. and I always will. if u think its some fad than u dont know ur history and are probably a fad type producer. in what other piece of equipment ever made is EVERY SOUND GOOD??!!! only the tr808 rhythm composer baby

and no boom bap? how about nwas dopeman?... thats pretty solid of a beat

808 beats to the grave
lol at saying boom bap and nwa lol
Old 21st July 2010
  #37
Lives for gear
 
terrytee's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest View Post
lol at saying boom bap and nwa lol
For my money I would say that there are probably 808s under half of premo kicks. It is just a sine wave and a great way to add body to a kick drum.

When I used to use the s950 I would often used the default tone, which is just a sine, underneath the kick. I would envelope it to resemble the kick, sampled of record, and tune it to the same note before tucking it in below the kick. Am sure am not the only one to have done this it add a lot of weight & body to a sample kick drum.
Old 22nd July 2010
  #38
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytee View Post
For my money I would say that there are probably 808s under half of premo kicks. It is just a sine wave and a great way to add body to a kick drum.

When I used to use the s950 I would often used the default tone, which is just a sine, underneath the kick. I would envelope it to resemble the kick, sampled of record, and tune it to the same note before tucking it in below the kick. Am sure am not the only one to have done this it add a lot of weight & body to a sample kick drum.
hell I used to do it in my software all of the time. I love the extra boom it adds to the kicks that u can't get from just sampled one shots from records
Old 24th July 2010
  #39
Lives for gear
 
viewing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest
thats kind fo bitter sweet to think about but what about the 1960s when are they coming back? Psyc Rock FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRACKPIPE View Post
It already came back around 87-88 with the whole 20 year anniversary of the summer of love.
i just realized this but that actually was the anniversary of psych rock, it was called grunge. (can i get a late pass...step!)
Old 1 week ago
  #40
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewing View Post
if we wait another 5 or so years we'll be part of the new wave of 'retro' 90's music.(and we'll be pushing 40 but who cares as long as we like it). also there would be no pressure to 'make it' since it will be just another retro form of music like jazz, classical, blues etc that is mostly consumed by eclectic types of all ages. in my little world anyway...

i think it goes by 20's, check it:

in the 90's sampling brought back the sound of the 70's

in the 00's the synthesizer sound of the 80's came back

in the 10's guess who got next!?!!! (90's)

which really sucks for the 20's because 00's would be back in effect...
Your predictions were a little off here.. But im also hoping that in 2030 this 90s trent is coming back.That would be superdope

EDIT** I ment 2020
Old 1 week ago
  #41
Here for the gear
 

tried to play Neyo joint...couldn't get past string intro..dats y I hate dat song...
Old 1 week ago
  #42
Lives for gear
 
BezowinZ's Avatar
Heel up, wheel up, bring it back, come rewind...

Ha! I dig 808s. I hate most Trap & the roll 808s play in that sub genre.

Eras seem to be lasting longer. Or is it that undesirable moments seem to last longer?
Old 1 week ago
  #43
DAH
Lives for gear
 
DAH's Avatar
Balls is balls. It is just sad to hear balls being attached to satanic anti-human lyrics.
Old 1 week ago
  #44
Lives for gear
I'm 48. In the 80's I was sick of hearing 60's and 70's music.

But really, the 80's gave us some good music, ...and some terrible music..

But more of it was original than we have today.

Today's music sounds like a never ending re-hash.
Old 1 week ago
  #45
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
I'm 48. In the 80's I was sick of hearing 60's and 70's music.

But really, the 80's gave us some good music, ...and some terrible music..

But more of it was original than we have today.

Today's music sounds like a never ending re-hash.
What happened do you reckon?
Old 1 week ago
  #46
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
For me it isn't about hate, it's just a matter of not wanting to hear the exact same sounds on every single song... Generally that would be a given, but apparently, creativity and diversity have been lost in favor of carbon copies. Things will change; they always do.
Old 1 week ago
  #47
Lives for gear
 
IM WHO YOU THINK's Avatar
 

I doubt any of you hate It's yours, Peter Piper, Paul Revere, Rock the bells, Friends, 2live Crew, Outlast,NWA etc...

Its cheap sounding, cheaply engineered 808 samples you hate.

It's when people with no musical skills, who didn't sample records got hold of 808 samples that it got messed up.

Mantronix used to freak an 808 and it was never tiring.

It's this new era of "producers" you hate.

I don't hate this
Old 4 days ago
  #48
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Vance View Post
That's right... I'm soooo sick of hearing 808s in EVERY f*ckin song on the radio. They used to be used more exclusively in Rap and Hip Hop but now it's even in cheesy pop songs (ie. Kesha or Michael Buble).

I mean.. don't get me wrong I understand an 808 snare can get that "perfect" snare sound in terms of cutting through but isn't it time to move on??
This is hilarious. It’s 2019 now and no change.
Old 4 days ago
  #49
Lives for gear
Old 7 hours ago
  #50
Here for the gear
 

I purchased a Roland TR-808 when they first came out. What's interesting is they weren't highly regarded at that time and TR-808's started showing up "used" in the Recycler Magazine (Los Angeles) very cheap.

Then Marvin Gaye released "Sexual Healing" and everything changed ...
Old 7 hours ago
  #51
Gear Head
 
VirusAndSpamBin's Avatar
 

Did I see right, by seeing posts from 2010?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
tone4407 / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
17
JakeKalka / Low End Theory
10
PhonoquO / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
27
Quad / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
2
fn86 / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump